STT turbo playing AKs from UTG

• jon011
      jon011
      Bronze
      This happened in a 9-handed STT Step 1 turbo tournament, it was Level 3 and blinds were 25/50 and everyone had about 1500 stack.

I opened 3x from UTG with AKs to 150 and got a min 3bet from MP2 to 300. Everyone folded to me. I moved all-in and he called with AA.

Is it a standard cooler or should I play AK differently?
  • 6 replies
    • icio
      icio
      Bronze
      I think it is better to fold unless he is very loose....dont think people will 3bet a lot there
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Originally posted by icio
      I think it is better to fold unless he is very loose....dont think people will 3bet a lot there
      Yeahh I agree with icio, I'm not going broke for 30bb when some 3 bets (min3 bet is actually 250) my utg raise which is very strong, if I was in the CO and the BU/blinds I'd it I'm shoving with the fist pump but in this spot I'd just fold, your crushed by his 3betting range tbh
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I've been 3-bet like that before and it's usually a value raise more than anything else. Personally, I would have just called here. Folding is an option of course, but AKs is a pretty strong hand to fold to a 150 raise. Even though you are out of position, the pot odds are 3.5 to 1 to call.

There's 525 in the pot already, the 300 from MP2, 150 from you, and 75 from the blinds and it costs you 150 to call, thus giving you 3.5 to 1 pot odds. So folding I wouldn't recommend because AKs is a strong hand -- it's a premium hand, 4-betting all in is overplaying it, so a call is a play I would recommend in THAT position.

See what happens on the flop with the hand and if he continues with sheer aggression when you flop a K, then you will have a hard decision to make to either push or fold the hand.

This is from my own experience. I raised AKo utg+2 and was 3-bet from a middle position player for 2x my bet. I called, flopped a king, checked the flop and he half bet the pot, I raised all in and he snapped with pocket aces.

Hope I helped you,

MB
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maythany
      I've been 3-bet like that before and it's usually a value raise more than anything else. Personally, I would have just called here. Folding is an option of course, but AKs is a pretty strong hand to fold to a 150 raise. Even though you are out of position, the pot odds are 3.5 to 1 to call.

There's 525 in the pot already, the 300 from MP2, 150 from you, and 75 from the blinds and it costs you 150 to call, thus giving you 3.5 to 1 pot odds. So folding I wouldn't recommend because AKs is a strong hand -- it's a premium hand, 4-betting all in is overplaying it, so a call is a play I would recommend in THAT position.

See what happens on the flop with the hand and if he continues with sheer aggression when you flop a K, then you will have a hard decision to make to either push or fold the hand.

This is from my own experience. I raised AKo utg+2 and was 3-bet from a middle position player for 2x my bet. I called, flopped a king, checked the flop and he half bet the pot, I raised all in and he snapped with pocket aces.

Hope I helped you,

MB

I think calling is by far the worst option, epesh with your plan to maybe fold a king if you hit! your OOP and if your putting him on AA or KK which is your reason for not 4 betting why not just fold preflop? it doesnt make sense, also you will hit less than 2/3 of the time as hes probably got at least 1 blocker, so your c/f most flops and even when yu do hit you dont know where you stand, i like a fold in this spot, but id much rather 4 bet than just flat
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      You do make good points in your argument. SnG Wizard suggests you fold with AKs if the opponent has aces. This is obvious of course, but folding Aks can be hard since it looks so appealing that you just want to call and see what develops on the flop.
    • kalychko
      kalychko
      Bronze
      I would rather fold here, if he had reraised all in I would call, but that small 3bet is usually done by fishes with monsters and they are easy to read. All in would mean AJ, AT, AQ, TT, JJ sth like that. That's my opinion. Reraising that small says 'Go on, I don't mind and feel comfortable with my hand playing postflop'.