Idea for massive MTT promotion

• Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      I've been thinking about this for a while. What if a poker site decides to raise the rake a little bit, and uses the extra money to organise tournaments with an added prize pool. I think that if done correctly, this could have major benefits. The extra money is for promotions and thus shouldn't be considered a loss of money.

Let's say that when Full Tilt comes they initially rake about $500.000 a day (stars had more than a million right??). They raise the rake of cash games, sitn'go's and Mtt's by 10% (Instead of raking $0,50 from a pot of $10 they rake $0,55 and a $100 + $10 Mtt becomes a $100 + 11 Mtt). If 5% of the players leave due to the higher rake (which i really doubt if they like the site and the raise is so small), This will result in $45.000 of money for added Mtt's each day.

Cut this into 5 pieces of the same size. The first piece (each piece is now about 2% of the total rake) is added to a daily $20 +$2 tournament. With about 10k added, I can see the total prize pool reach 100k.

The second piece I would add to a weekly $100 +$10 tournament. With about 60k added, I think the prize pool would reach at least 500k.

The third piece I would add to a monthly $300 + $30 tournament. With probably more then 250k added to the prize pool, the total prize pool could exceed the 2 million dollars.

The fourth piece of the extra money i'd spread over the first three series of the FTOPS (and miniFTOPS). After three months almost 1 million dollar is raked to spread over the whole series. I can imagine that whole series of added tournaments will attract great amounts of players

The last piece I'd spread over the final FTOPS (and miniFTOPS) of the year. With over 3 million dollars to add over the whole series, it should be able to compete with the WCOOP and a (wild guess) $1 million added 1k buy-in main event could be the biggest online tournament of the year.

Note that all the tournaments and buy-ins (and the percentages that the tournaments in the FTOPS get) are decided before the promotion. You could make a place in the lobby where everyone can see the prize pools grow the whole year.

The benefits:

The added tournaments will attract huge fields. Gtd prize pools have the problem that they often stop growing quickly after the guarantee is reached. Added prize pools will have a permanent overlay, and as long as the total rake over the prize pool is lower than the money added, it will be +ev on average to play the tournament.

The level of the added tournaments will be very low, because of the huge fields the tournaments will get.

Tournament so big will get very much publicity, causing fishes to go to that site.

I like this one :f_biggrin:
      The promotion will grow with the site itself. If the site starts to rake $1 million a day, all the added prize pools will be doubled, doubling the whole promotion itself.

As stated above, players can see the prize pools grow up to almost a year before the tournament starts, which will get some attention.

The only disadvantage is that the higher rake might cause some players to leave the site.

The way the money is added to the tournaments could also be differ completely from my idea, but it's just an idea. Feel free to discuss and correct me if my logic isn't correct, but to me it looks like a way to make it possible to get gigantic prize pools in Mtt's and compete with Stars
  • 16 replies
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      I didn't read all of it, but if I understand correctly, that would not be fair for cash game players. Why raise rake in cash games and add that extra money to MTTs, where MTT grinders have an advantage over regular cash players.

Plus I don't think many players will appritiate higher rake, especially when MTTs have a very top heavy payout structures and not many people will profit from that promotion. Most players will lose much more due to rake for the lucky few to get bigger prizes.

I don't really like the idea.
    • shogun2313
      shogun2313
      Bronze
      bad idea.

cash game players would leave because the rake is too high then and no benefit to them in mtt. the only ones benefiting would be players who specialize on (low limit) nlh tournaments
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I have a better idea, increse rake for SNG's/MTT's, lower the prize pools, and make cash games rake free because fuck everyone else, I'm a cash game player
    • Cealin
      Cealin
      Bronze
      They can also just do all this out of their own huge profits that they make.

And yes, upping the cash game rakes without giving them any benefit is crazy.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      Ya because fish wouldnt win a tournament and dump it back at cash games or anything.

But raking the 99% for the 1% who win a top heavy tournament is retarded
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      OK, what I say that all the money people generate for the added prize pool is tracked and that everyone can get 100% reload bonuses for the amount they generate for those prize pools, (or just a pending bonus). This way nobody loses money due to higher rake and cash game players benefit from getting a higher (reload or pending) then everyone else :f_biggrin: . This way the site pay's for the promotion itself, players just need to play a little more
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      why do u want to increase the fucking rake while its damn high enough alrdy? :f_confused:
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Targetme
      Ya because fish wouldnt win a tournament and dump it back at cash games or anything.

But raking the 99% for the 1% who win a top heavy tournament is retarded
      If a prize pool is 10% bigger due to an addition every pay-out would normally be 10% higher
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      I have a better idea, a tournament that 1st prize is a custom/howard lederer avatar on full tilt. Who wouldnt want to play that?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yoshimitsu77
      I have a better idea, a tournament that 1st prize is a custom/howard lederer avatar on full tilt. Who wouldnt want to play that?
      By how much should we raise the cash game rake to have that?
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      Or do you guy's want to play for trollface avatars? It seems like you want it
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Originally posted by Yoshimitsu77
      By how much should we raise the cash game rake to have that?
      Id be more than happy to pay $5 tournament entry for something like this, think lots of other people would aswell.
      My custom avatar would be queen of england if i got to choose :D might hit a few more royal flushes
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Riverdiver
      Well what did you expect if you are suggesting increasing the already high rake? Not to get trolled? :f_confused:
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TiciBoy
      Originally posted by Riverdiver
      Well what did you expect if you are suggesting increasing the already high rake? Not to get trolled? :f_confused:
      I come up with a solution that it doesn't affect you afterwards, but it seems nobody is even willing to think about an idea to make poker bigger
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      How does it not affect you? There's a bunch of sites with higher rake and way softer fields than stars, they have lucrative bonuses etc and in the end it's still not worth it playing CG there.
    • martins1337
      martins1337
      Bronze
      Your idea for cash game players sounds like Bad Beat Jackpot. Everybody pays more rake, but only 1-9 gets the pie.
      It would be minimal increase in traffic, just like when BBJ gets huge.
      You want new players? Advertising!