[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR - ATo on MP1

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $9.44 (188.8 bb)
      BB: $10.30 (206 bb)
      Hero (MP1): $7.90 (158 bb)
      MP2: $5.23 (104.6 bb)
      MP3: $5.92 (118.4 bb)
      CO: $1.58 (31.6 bb)
      BTN: $4.82 (96.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A T
      Hero raises to $0.20, MP2 calls $0.20, 5 folds

Flop: ($0.47) 9 Q J (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks

Turn: ($0.47) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP2 calls $0.30

River: ($1.07) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.55, Hero calls $0.55

Results:
      $2.17 pot ($0.11 rake)
      Final Board: 9 Q J Q 8
      Hero mucked A T and lost (-$1.05 net)
      MP2 showed A 5 and won $2.06 ($1.01 net)

Had only few hands from him, and so far he was very loose and pretty aggressive.
      Planned a check/raise on the flop for fold equity + strong draw.
      But he checks behind, so I bet on the turn, he calls. At that point I was a bit confused.
      Therefore I go on check/call on the river since I anyway closed the straight. I thought it would have been a split.

Thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Might not agree but here's my opinion:

You were caught in a tough situation, it's not your fault you lost money, you could've lost much more. Even though I would've bet the flop, your check-raise didn't sound bad. Problem is, there are very few hands to bluff on this kind of flop, and very few worse hands that would put value in it. The same goes for the turn: once you've bet you could assume that there were almost no worse hands that would call that except some weak flushdraws (depends on your opponent). The check-call line on the river seemed to be the best solution.
      But once again, it's easier to evaluate a hand after knowing the whole story than playing it :) .
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello AtrociousNightmare,

Why would you ever Check/Raise the flop? You are just isolating vs strong range and most likely not making any made hands to fold. Therefore should instead just CB the flop yourself, but otherwise not much to comment.

Best Regards.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello AtrociousNightmare,

Why would you ever Check/Raise the flop? You are just isolating vs strong range and most likely not making any made hands to fold. Therefore should instead just CB the flop yourself, but otherwise not much to comment.

Best Regards.
      Well even against 99 JJ and QQ is a coin flip, and I think on a flop like this many made hands would fold (why not? it's a monochrome after all), and I have positive equity even against two pairs, so I thought it could be a nice idea.