[NL2-NL10] A10s Whento protect 2nd pair?

• MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      iPoker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

CO: $10.00
      Hero (BTN): $12.26
      SB: $4.00
      BB: $11.90
      UTG: $10.31 19/14/6/2.7

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A:spade: T:spade:

UTG raises to $0.30, fold, Hero calls $0.30, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) 2:club: T:heart: K:heart:
      UTG bets $0.56, Hero calls $0.56

Turn: ($1.87, 2 players) 7:spade:
      UTG bets $0.93, Hero calls $0.93

River: ($3.73, 2 players) 6:diamond:
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Hero mucks A:spade: T:spade: (One Pair, Tens) (Pre 61%, Flop 62%, Turn 68%)
      UTG shows 7:heart: 6:heart: (Two Pair, Sevens and Sixes) (Pre 39%, Flop 38%, Turn 32%)
      UTG wins $3.49

preflop - didnt 3bet as he folds 71% of his 19% open range to 3bets and, if called, I thought I will be dominated too often.

Flop - Cbet 63%, Cbet turn 67% and reasonable AF at 2.7 makes me think I am ahead of his range and likely to get more value on blank turn cards so I flat.

Turn - he bets half pot and now I am convinced I have the best hand but only flat rather than raise to protect despite a load of river cards I dont wanna see.

River - check behind as I dont think I get called by worse.

How much of my thinking here is accurate?

Thanks,
      MD
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MasochisticDesire,

Welcome to the English NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Overall the play is fine, but what you must understand that he has a lot of Kx hands in his range which opens from UTG + of course any other hand as JJ/QQ you ain't making to fold by floating. :)

Best Regards.
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Thank-you very much for the encouragement.
      I hope to work very hard in coming months to make the jump from live to online...which in my case basicly means starting from scratch.

what you must understand that he has a lot of Kx hands in his range which opens from UTG + of course any other hand as JJ/QQ you ain't making to fold by floating

Ok, so you might suggest that folding the flop or playing it as I did are both fine but raising to protect on the turn only folds out a minimal part of his range, gets us into tough spots if re-raised or he donks the river and might actually be -EV?

Thanks,
      MD