Is my understanding of PFR correct?

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

To my understanding, PFR means pre-flop raise, an X amount given to a player who raises pre-flop, whether it's a 3BB raise or a 3-bet.

I understand that VPIP and PFR go hand in hand, like peanut butter and jelly. Using this PFR stat, I can determine how loose or tight a player is before the flop. So the higher their PFR stat, the looser they will raise.

For example, say a player in the SNG tournament that I am playing in has a stat of 30/20. That means he only raises the top 20% of hands? So with that information, I can adjust my calling range to say the top 12% of starting hands?

Thanks,

MB
  • 3 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      actually it's "preflop raise" but i'm sure that it was just a distraction. :D

Originally posted by maythany
      Using this PFR stat, I can determine how loose or tight a player is before the flop. So the higher their PFR stat, the looser they will raise.
      okay

For example, say a player in the SNG tournament that I am playing in has a stat of 30/20. That means he only raises the top 20% of hands?
      not okay

good players will adjust to the different blind levels.
      also, specially with deeper stacks it doesn't really mean the top 20%.

equilab gives top 20% as:
      66+,A4s+,K8s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,A9o+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo

but well, some of these play less than easily postflop.
      so instead of taking QTo type of hands he may prefer some better playability hands instead:

22+,A2s+,KTs+,QTs+,J9s+,T8s+,97s+,86s+,75s+,65s,54s,ATo+,KJo+

or something like that.

So with that information, I can adjust my calling range to say the top 12% of starting hands?
      on early phases, not really.
      on late phases, that's where icm kicks in...
    • Phenomenomzor
      Phenomenomzor
      Bronze
      Also remember that PFR just shows his raising range average from all positions.

For example, he may have 10% PFR from EP, but then it gradually increases until he has like 30% CO and 40% BTN raising range. In this case his average PFR will be around 20%.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Also PFR disguises ranges somewhat because it obviously does not add hands where villain calls a raise where he would have open raised had the initial raise not happened.

Because of this and what above people said, it really is just a stat to see when people are out of line or super nitty, rather than an exact narrowing of a preflop range.