1urds

• 1urds
      1urds
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm from the Bulgarian society of PokerStrategy, just had a discussion in our forum where I was complaining about how lame I am, and how I can't understand the basic concepts and mathematics of the game. So I proposed to start a forum thread for this with some hands posted from our trainers for us to calculate, which I guess we will do. But any way they posted me link to this place. Which I wasn't aware about, for me to start my training. So here I am ready to start :f_biggrin:
  • 13 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck 1urds,

Lame or not lame, we can't know everything from the beginning. ;) I also started from pretty much 0 and build up myself, reading articles, discussing hands, playing poker and watching of course videos and so on. Everything gets you more experienced and it will be super easy for you in the future if you put more effort into it. :)

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Hey How's it going? Are you doing the readings/watching the videos? I too am reworking through the basics and would just love to be able to beat nl2.
      Good luck!
    • 1urds
      1urds
      Bronze
      Hi nice to meet you! I'm working on my game style, watching videos reading the articles, attending on coaching, posting my hands for analysis and I actually beat NL2 at Saturday now I'm NL5 player :f_biggrin: . Just doing my home work for this course right now! :)
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      You say you beat nl2 on Saturday. How many hands did you play? What kind of winrate did you have?
      Good luck at nl5!
    • 1urds
      1urds
      Bronze
      TNX, but I don't think that the luck means a lot in this game ;) . My "Win Rate" was around 30BB/100 hands but this includes, playing drunk, playing TILT, playing 14 hour session and so on. Which I strongly advise NOT to do, hands are 13000. I started with the free 50$ from here.
    • 1urds
      1urds
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

It's not only one thing that motivates me to play poker. First of all it become my main hobby last 6 month and I really like it. Second, as I sad earlier I want to become a professional poker player some day and do poker for a living. And last of all, maybe some day I want to see my self among "In the money" list, in World Series of Poker. Other thing about poker I really like is that it makes my mind to work, it's like a day brain fitness or something. To be honest there's a lot's of stuff you can learn in life by playing poker :f_biggrin:

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Extensive answer to this question will take a whole novel, but I'll stick around with the main stuff. First of all, I'm too aggressive while playing and maybe a bit too lose in the game. HM2 tags me as LAG player every so often, well in the overall statistics I'm still marked as a TAG player, but this never happens on the table. I'm having difficulties to fold and I'm to eager to enter the pot with speculative hand. There are a lots of flops I just don't know how to handle. I very much want to learn the +EV, -EV stuff, because I know practically nothing about mathematics in poker. I have VERY high 3 bet range, not only pre-flop but on flop, turn and river, and some times I go All-in without any reason. I play long sessions every time I can, I'm playing when I'm in bad mood, I'm playing drunk ( happened once :) ), In heads-up match every fish can kick my ass all day long :) , and last of all, I'm suck in SR games.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing tight aggressive means playing only specific range of value hands considering your position on the table and that is tight. Play aggressive means to hold the initiative and raising the hand, not calling it. It means betting, raising and folding some times, but very rarely calling the bet. It means putting your opponent under pressure and avoiding being put under pressure by your self.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

I wouldn't say that long sessions are bad, a lot of players ain't even able to hold long sessions. But when you are not playing your A-game or at least decent game then it's not that good. You have to improve your game and which most likely will happen. :)

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • 1urds
      1urds
      Bronze
      Hi I'm glad to see a reply on my thread :) thanks, very much. I'm eager to continue with my education here. Yesterday I played 1k hands for the evening and I plan to make this a regular play, so I make 30k hands every month, see if I can. I play on 3 FR tables and 1 SR table for to learn (still making some profit there). I'll join the "Live coaching session with Bierbaer", I watched the recording and it was very good, want to see it live :) .

You asking about tilt ... well ... it's a strange thing. In the beginning I was very scared of tilt I lost about 20 stacks on NL2 playing tilt ... well I do managed to balance the loses. First time I tilted was in 3:30 AM in Everest while playing against drunk opponents and it was a hell of experience. I lost 6 stacks then and it was my biggest single session loss in poker so far. One time I tilted during evening play, when one guy beat my full-house which I had right on the flop with Ace high. I was deep and he was deep, so he took a huge pot with Ace High! And 3 minutes after I lost, pre-flop all-in on another table with bullets against ducks. This to hands in a raw were enough to tilt me, I started losing stack after stack up to 14 ... luckily there was a HUGE fish on one of the tables, so the final score was 5 stacks behind. And it is also bad because I could have had a very nice wining session instead I was 5 stacks short.

This all was in the beginning, I don't found my self tilting lately, my biggest loss during active session for last 8000 hands was 3 stacks and it wasn't a bad beat, but a very dump hands. It was like I tilted for few minutes and then I was back again without leaving the session. I ended with +2 stacks. When I play this hands I know exactly that they are extremely dump, I know I will lose the pot, but I keep betting and re-raising. :f_cry: After the session I can't even watch them. It is so obvious ... you should FOLD but NO - I'm raising! I'll post them soon here.

My stop-loss is about 3-4 buy-ins, but it depends. If it was obvious Bad Beat, I just ignore the stack loss. Like yesterday, I was once again beaten, with Aces over Kings against, my Aces over Jacks. All-in on the flop, with top 2 pairs against TPTK. I think of this as a Bad Beat, I will post this hand.

Now I go to read "What is the Big Stack Strategy?" article once again ( for the10-th time :) ) and I'll post new reply about BSS along with my hands ths evening.

Again thanks very much, have a great day and good luck on the tables!
    • 1urds
      1urds
      Bronze
      Here are my hands as promised, that's one hand I got beaten AJ against AK here I know I should not rise preflop because the opponent is NIT but my plan was to bluff 3 bet him and steal the pot with cbet.

Hand - 1

Everest Poker $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players -

MP: $3.31 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 6, 3B: 4, AF: 1.9, Hands: 172
      CO: $1.04 - VPIP: 13, PFR: 2, 3B: 0, AF: 7.0, Hands: 286
      Hero (BTN): $8.39 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 17, 3B: 5, AF: 3.3, Hands: 10461
      SB: $4.99 - VPIP: 40, PFR: 1, 3B: 0, AF: 1.3, Hands: 135
      BB: $5.15 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 1.5, Hands: 346
      UTG: $5.06 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 20, 3B: 25, AF: 2.5, Hands: 96

Pre Flop: ($0.08) Hero is BTN with A :spade: J :diamond:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.18, Hero raises to $0.62, 2 folds, CO calls $0.44

Flop: ($1.32) J :spade: A :heart: 5 :club: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $1.00, CO calls $0.42 all in

Turn: ($2.16) K :heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($2.16) A :club: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Hand - 2 IMBICILE HAND I should fold on the turn!

BTN: $7.09 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 17, 3B: 10, AF: 3.2, Hands: 174
      SB: $4.95 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 1.5, Hands: 346
      BB: $15.34 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 16, 3B: 3, AF: 2.3, Hands: 128
      UTG: $5.14 - VPIP: 31, PFR: 8, 3B: 2, AF: 3.1, Hands: 349
      Hero (MP): $5.13 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 17, 3B: 5, AF: 3.3, Hands: 10461
      CO: $0.79 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 14, 3B: 4, AF: 8.5, Hands: 73

Pre Flop: ($0.08) Hero is MP with A :spade: A :heart:
      UTG raises to $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, 4 folds, UTG calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.68) 5 :heart: K :spade: K :club: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.50, UTG calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.68) 8 :heart: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $1.68, UTG raises to $3.36, Hero calls $1.68

River: ($8.40) J :heart: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.98, Hero calls $0.97 all in

Hand - 3

I don't know why I call on the flop here.

Everest Poker $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 10 players -

MP1: $1.90 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 7, 3B: 2, AF: 0.6, Hands: 298
      MP2: $5.39 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 17, 3B: 4, AF: 2.1, Hands: 338
      MP3: $3.68 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 7, 3B: 1, AF: 1.5, Hands: 257
      CO: $5.00 - VPIP: 11, PFR: 5, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 38
      BTN: $3.74 - VPIP: 11, PFR: 6, 3B: 1, AF: 4.8, Hands: 299
      SB: $5.34 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 7, 3B: 2, AF: 2.0, Hands: 856
      Hero (BB): $8.81 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 17, 3B: 5, AF: 3.3, Hands: 10461
      UTG: $2.08 - VPIP: 10, PFR: 7, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 41
      UTG+1: $1.07 - VPIP: 7, PFR: 3, 3B: 1, AF: 1.7, Hands: 2065
      UTG+2: $2.51 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 7, 3B: 2, AF: 0.6, Hands: 298

Pre Flop: ($0.08) Hero is BB with K :heart: A :heart:
      2 folds, UTG+2 raises to $0.18, 6 folds, Hero raises to $0.57, UTG+2 calls $0.39

Flop: ($1.17) 3 :club: 2 :heart: J :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, UTG+2 raises to $1.94, Hero calls $0.94

Turn: ($5.05) 6 :club: (2 players)

River: ($5.05) 2 :club: (2 players)

Hand - 4 This should be a good hand DN

BTN: $2.90 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 6, 3B: 4, AF: 1.9, Hands: 172
      SB: $2.64 - VPIP: 13, PFR: 2, 3B: 0, AF: 7.0, Hands: 286
      Hero (BB): $6.06 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 17, 3B: 5, AF: 3.3, Hands: 10461
      UTG: $11.63 - VPIP: 40, PFR: 1, 3B: 0, AF: 1.3, Hands: 135
      MP: $4.92 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 1.5, Hands: 346
      CO: $5.05 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 17, 3B: 10, AF: 3.2, Hands: 174

Pre Flop: ($0.08) Hero is BB with Q :diamond: Q :heart:
      UTG calls $0.05, 3 folds, SB calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.65) T :heart: J :spade: T :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, UTG raises to $2.15, Hero raises to $5.76, UTG raises to $11.33

Turn: ($12.17) A :diamond: (2 players)

River: ($12.17) 2 :heart: (2 players)

Hand - 5 This also should be a pretty good hand

Everest Poker $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players -

BTN: $4.95 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 7, 3B: 2, AF: 2.0, Hands: 856
      Hero (SB): $8.60 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 17, 3B: 5, AF: 3.3, Hands: 10461
      BB: $5.20 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 4, 3B: 13, AF: 0.0, Hands: 26
      UTG: $1.73 - VPIP: 48, PFR: 5, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 40
      UTG+1: $5.00 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 16, 3B: 2, AF: 3.7, Hands: 195
      MP1: $5.59 - VPIP: 44, PFR: 11, 3B: 0, AF: 1.6, Hands: 57
      MP2: $2.35 - VPIP: 43, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 65
      CO: $5.00 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 7, 3B: 2, AF: 2.0, Hands: 856

Pre Flop: ($0.08) Hero is SB with 3 :diamond: 3 :club:
      UTG calls $0.05, 3 folds, CO raises to $0.05, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.02, BB calls $0, UTG calls $0

Flop: ($0.20) 7 :spade: 3 :heart: Q :club: (4 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40, BB folds, UTG folds

Turn: ($1.00) 7 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20

River: ($3.40) 6 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, CO calls $2

As for tight aggressive stile, OK I'll try to explain it once again.

Playing tight means playing only specifically selected range of value hands based on your position on the table and opponents against whom you play. Playing aggressive means to bet and rise your opponents if you have a good situation to do it.
    • 1urds
      1urds
      Bronze
      If some body does not know what playing under TILT is let me show you!

• PACS
      PACS
      Bronze
      Why do you think hand 2 is an imbecile hand, while hand 4 which is nearly the same you think is pretty well played? What do you think your opponent could have at each point of the play?

Hand 2:
      * Opponent is UTG on a FR game, with only 8% PFR.

* I think your opponent will call with TT+, AQs, KQs, AKo (quite loose based on his 8% PFR, if he's positionally aware). About half of these hands have a king in them. With AA and KK I think he'd raise. But it is very unlikely he has these, considering your hand and the board.

* He may call the flop lightly, because it's hard to have a king for either of you. This isn't the worst board for any of his hands, if he doesn't have a king.

* You made a big bet on the turn, which makes it unlikely for him to continue without holding something quite strong. He could bluff here, but it seems rather unlikely, unless you have a read on him here. Especially the min-raise is usually very strong.

* On the turn he might bluff with a hand that picked up the heart flush draw. Based on the range I gave him above there is only one hand he could have for this: KQs. You hold the Ah, making the AQh impossible.
      With AKh and KQh he has trips anyway, so he wouldn't be drawing.

* You put in about 7 times the size of the pot on the flop. Not the best situation, but at the lowest stakes you could have opponents who'd you win from. Like vs QQ. Probably better to bet a bit smaller on the flop and turn however. Especially with the pot bet on the turn it's much harder to fold.

Hand 4:
      * Opponent here is very loose and UTG. Likely not positionally aware. Nearly never raises, and he has a very low AF.
      * It is hard to say what hands he calls with here, since he may be limp/folding a lot. I'll assume he'll also call quite a lot of those hands (about 75%).
      * He'll have a Ten still about 20-25% of the time. And about the same for a Jack. And of course a whole lot of hands that are trash on the flop.
      * On the flop he often has nothing and will likely fold many of these hands. Since his AF is low he's likely to check, call, and fold a lot. He'll very rarely raise. This makes it very likely he has at least something on the flop. Let's assume he raises with any Jack, any Ten, any OESD (he's likely tighter when he raises, since his AF is so low). But against this range your hand is not all that good, about 50/50.
      * His raising all-in is likely to be very strong here, unless you have some read. Some players may do this with AJ and KJ thinking they have a really great hand, since they have 2 pair.

I don't think hand 2 and 4 are all that different. The main difference is that in hand 2 the kings on board really hit his range very hard, even though it also makes him holding a king less likely. But in hand 4 he could also very well have trips, since his range includes many more Tens. And when he bets/raises, which he does so rarely he's more likely to be strong. As well as there are also overpairs he could have.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hey,

The idea of 3-4 buy-in rule is pretty decent, especially if you are also able to adjust to it. Also try to take into account if it's a new limit or not, for new limits you might limit it to smaller buy-in to get used to it and not lose a lot money.

Seems that you have some problems with your hands though, by the way if you want the hands to be evaluated then rather post them into hand evaluation forums, cause the evaluations would take too long here and difficult to concentrate if you have to scroll A LOT.

I'd add also few comments on the graph which looks really nice, keep going such progress and I am pretty sure you will be crushing the limits. Good luck!
    • 1urds
      1urds
      Bronze
      Well yes thank you for noticing :)

The difference between hand 2 and hand 4 is that I had a read on opponent the second one. Honestly I don't remember the exact situation and what he did in a previous hands history, but I do remember that for some reason I was sure that he is holding Jx hand and thinks he got 2 pairs. It was something very specific but, I don't know how to review table history in HM2 to see the exact situation I was judging from. :) maybe next time I'll need to explain my actions in more detail

On the hand 2 the opponent is actually opening and calling me with 88 and catches full house on the turn.

Thank you for the analysis, turns out I'm pretty much affected from the results of the hands when I analyse my them! I see that clear now!

Hope you accept the friend invitation.