Winning formula

• pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      Winning in poker, expecially, online is much tougher now than few years ago.
      So to win consistently u must have a strategy. By strategy i do not mean how u played your previous hand.
      This what u call tactik. By strategy I mean some certain poker mindsets.

Example strategy number 1. NL Holdem General: torunaments and cash games.
      My overall strategy is: I don not concentrate anymore on winning/losing sessions.
      I dont care if I lost that hand or Im out of tournament. I concetrate on making no mistackes and expecially on making good decisions.
      My strategy is to become an good poker player and I think that will get me in to the big money.
      Having that strategy I must have some certain taktics and Id love to share it with you:

I raise only if I think i get a call from the worse hand/bad player. I dont have a mindset like I have to raise to protect my hand.

I limp only when I hold premium pairs or I get a great discount in a multiway pot.

I bluff only good players.

I go for my draws if i think i get paid when i get there (implied odds)

I float to bluff loose-agressive players

I do use the scary cards on turn/river to my advantage, so I float sometimes to get the scare cards on turn/river

I call only when i can induce more bluffing

I do not give up easily when Im in the pot

I fold only when I see no opportunity taking the pot away

I go all-in only when I can win a big pot regardless I have the best hand or Im bluffing

I overbet to confuse the other player to get paid now or later

Bad beat doens't tilt me, I go on tilt when I make a bad decision.

I use pot odds when Im not able to put other player on his hand range

Most important: I do have a tight table image that ensures me to use al other taktics i meantioned before.

Please let me know what u think about my strategy so we could have nice discussion.

JoeTeGrinder!
  • 6 replies
    • DeetM
      DeetM
      Bronze
      I think it's good to have some guidelines to follow but it isn't a good idea to be too rigid with these. An interesting exercise might be to think of 3 exceptions/qualifications to each (where possible) and post them.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      yeah, that is not reeeeeaaaally super god damn awful advice, some of it is even good. but i'd rather stay away from it :f_biggrin:

what i'd say about most things would be that you should rather avoid such generalizations.

like "i float to bluff loose-aggressive players"... the spectrum of loose-aggressive players is quite wide.
      against some of them you'll rarely even get an opportunity to try a float, they'll play their weak ranges pretty strongly. in that case more bluff raising or thin value raising may be a better idea... "it depends"!
      in any case, loose-aggressive players usually are tough targets. floating weak-tight players is much easier.

i could also elaborate on other points but i'm too lazy. :f_biggrin: bottom line is "it ALWAYS depends"!
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Don't limp with premium pairs. It's almost never +EV.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      EDIT by Asaban: Spam deleted
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hi pokerboy and welcome to the tournament strategy forum.
      Your thread was recently moved here from another forum and I would like to comment on some of your tips.

Originally posted by pokerboy198229
      My overall strategy is: I don not concentrate anymore on winning/losing sessions.
      I dont care if I lost that hand or Im out of tournament. I concetrate on making no mistackes and expecially on making good decisions.
      Good idea so far :)
      Concentrating on losses will always cause bad play. Therefore you should always try not to be influenced by results.

I raise only if I think i get a call from the worse hand/bad player. I dont have a mindset like I have to raise to protect my hand.

Protection is not some kind of mindset. It's an elemental part of the game. If you don't protect you can't win longterm. At the same time you should always think about two things that make a raise profitable:
      Do I get a better hand to fold? If the answer is yes: Raise!
      Do I get value from a worse hand? If the answer is yes: Raise!
      This is not valid in every situation that you will encounter. But it should be the general approach. If you don't bring your continuation bet with KQ on a A42 board, because no worse hand will call you, you will loose money. Sometimes it is very important to place bets in situations were you can be sure to be behind.

I limp only when I hold premium pairs or I get a great discount in a multiway pot.
      You should never limp your premium pairs. You will lose a lot of value doing so. On the one hand you miss the opportunity to build up a big pot preflop. It will always be hard to get it in postflop if it is a limped pot. Furthermore you will often play against 3 or 4 opponents. QQ+ are great hands when you play against one player. If you play against 3 or 4 players you won't win postflop allins very often.

I go for my draws if i think i get paid when i get there (implied odds)
      Good advice. If you don't get the right implied odds you should never call your draw.

I call only when i can induce more bluffing
      That's the case in most spots ;)

I do not give up easily when Im in the pot
      I wouldn't generalize here. You should always play what is maxEV. If you don't get away from your premium hands it is -EV in many spots.

I overbet to confuse the other player to get paid now or later
      You should be very careful with overbets. They won't be a good method to bluff. They won't be a good idea to get max Value on the river in most cases. The won't get you more money longterm.

Bad beat doens't tilt me, I go on tilt when I make a bad decision.
      You should never tilt! There is no way to change bad decisions afterwards - just accept them and analyze your mistakes after your session ended.

I use pot odds when Im not able to put other player on his hand range
      You should always use pot odds...
      This is nothing that can be switched on or off whenever you like it.

Most important: I do have a tight table image that ensures me to use al other taktics i meantioned before.
      A tight image isn't something good most of the times. A lose image will enable you to take down big pots with your premium hands while at the same time taking down a lot of pots with your steals.

Overall I would suggest to learn some more theory. You may find interesting articles in our strategy section: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/
      Furthermore we have a lot of great videos that may help you to improve your game:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/#contenttype=0&gametype=8&tablesize=0&languages=en&levels=basic,bronze,silver,gold,platinum,diamond&lowerlimit=0&upperlimit=100&ob=date&od=desc&page=1&rpp=10

Most of your ideas are based on one point of view (most of the times there are different angles that should be considered) and some of them are absolutely wrong and even dangerous. It is always a good idea to prove your own ideas by writing about them in the forums. I hope I could help you by providing some valuable feedback on your ideas. If you have further questions feel free to ask :)

Regards,
      Asaban
    • SiladuS92
      SiladuS92
      Bronze
      Edit by Asaban: English please!