Guntersafeword

• Guntersafeword
      Guntersafeword
      Bronze
      registration for the school...
      My name is Adam, I havent been a member of Poker Strategy.com for very long. I am Australian and I love the game... I intend to do my workshopping on 770 Poker, but I learnt and fell in love with the game on PKR where I am ranked in the top 200 of both catagories, I have been trying to take my game to the next level and feel I am getting closer... But sometimes it is good to start again and learn the basics... Being in Aus timezones become a bit of a problem but... I love a late night and am keen to learn some new tricks... Thanks :)
      :f_cool: :s_love:
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck Guntersafeword,

Oh well, I would say there is no difference in which timezone you play, you will definitely still get action no matter when you play. :) Also no matter in what room you play, at least has been working for me.

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • Guntersafeword
      Guntersafeword
      Bronze
      I hope I'm doing this right.... I am yet to be able to attend my first coaching session, but here is my first lot of homework... I also watched the video on Veriz... nice guy ;)

Question 1: I started playing for fun... playing big tournaments on PKR, didn't mind losing buy ins, just a bit of fun on the weekend, then i made a few final tables and realised I did have some natural skill... and so I began to read a bit an take the game more seriously... I had some big up and down swings as u expect in big tournaments.. then I recently left my job... I have recently gotten a new one, but I thought maybe I could make a living off poker... My MTT strategy is very good, and I started playing cash games... I still think I could possibly have what it takes to break the bank and maybe stop working and grind a living out...

Question 2: The mistakes I seem to be making lately (other than getting all of my chips in ahead in PLO, and getting sucked out by bigger stacks and Donks!!) are probably playing too few hands in cash hold em, although I don't play that too much... I sometimes get annoyed at one player after a bad beat and chase them.. but I am always learning and I take some loose notes on players if they do something really annoying... but I seem to be the player people like to donk... especially the regs at the PLO tables!!

Question 3: Tight aggressive is my MTT strategy.... i will fold hands most people will raise with if I think I don't have it... then When i do, make sure you are ready to put all of your stack in!!!

I know i haven't been doing the homework as fast as I should but I am making an effort to step it up!!!

Cheers
      Adam
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Thanks mate. :D Those videos are though pretty old, wish we could produce something better.

About living off from poker my advice is still stick to the plan to have a specific amount of statistics for it, for example a year. You can't really base on few months of earning off it cause you could be just running good. Also a pro player has to have a decent bankroll management for it and which means even maybe towards 100 BIs so he could withdraw whenever he wants and live off some of his bankroll.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • Guntersafeword
      Guntersafeword
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz...

I have started to get through lesson 2.. but played a tournament (4th grr)
      and have to work tomorrow morning, should have homework done tomorrow night...

I just have one example of a rough beat on the PLO tables, I know my starting hand wasn't great but had a fairly good read on the players as I was there for a while... after the hand the guy just said... "it happens"... I was furious lol..

racefux is at seat 0 with $5.87.
      pokebang is at seat 1 with $6.12.
      Poli052910 is at seat 2 with $4.29.
      syun4yr is at seat 3 with $3.20.
      Adrok is at seat 4 with $7.12.
      jeljamisch is at seat 5 with $20.10.

The dealer is seat 0.

pokebang posts a blind of $0.05.
      Poli052910 posts a blind of $0.10.

(Adrok is dealt 9 :diamond: 10 :club: 3 :diamond: 8 :club: .)

Pre-flop:
      syun4yr raises $0.25.
      Adrok calls for $0.35.
      jeljamisch calls for $0.35.
      racefux folds.
      pokebang calls for $0.30.
      Poli052910 calls for $0.25.

The flop comes
      8 :spade: A :club: 10 :diamond: .

pokebang checks.
      Poli052910 checks.
      syun4yr bets $1.30.
      Adrok raises $4.35.
      jeljamisch folds.
      pokebang calls for $5.65.
      Poli052910 folds.
      syun4yr folds.

The turn comes 9 :spade: .

pokebang checks.
      Adrok checks.

The river comes J :club: .

pokebang goes all-in for $0.12.
      Adrok calls for $0.12.

Showdown:

pokebang shows: Q :club: K :club: 2 :diamond: 7 :spade:
      A :club: K :club: Q :club: J :club: 10 :diamond:
      Straight, Ace high

Adrok shows: 9 :diamond: 10 :club: 3 :diamond: 8 :club:
      10 :diamond: 10 :club: 9 :spade: 9 :diamond: A :club:
      Two Pair, Tens and Nines

pokebang wins pot 1 ($9.62).
      pokebang wins pot 2 ($5.46).
    • Guntersafeword
      Guntersafeword
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz... I remember that you are moving but I wanted to post this for an opinion... The suckout at the end really annoyed me.. My opponent is also from poker strategy... he said he played it well... I don't think so... I was 86% favourite on flop and 70% on turn... and hard to fold the straight with so much invested already... Should I have l played it differently? Or is this just one of those... "it happens" moments. Cheers mate.

Adrok: 4s 5h 2d 4d
      RocknRoll_Ad: -- --

Pre-flop:
      Adrok raises 0.60.
      RocknRoll_Ad calls 0.50.

Flop (4h 10d 3d):
      RocknRoll_Ad checks.
      Adrok raises 1.50.
      RocknRoll_Ad calls 1.50.

Turn (4h 10d 3d 8s):
      RocknRoll_Ad checks.
      Adrok raises 4.50.
      RocknRoll_Ad calls 4.50.

River (4h 10d 3d 8s 6s):
      RocknRoll_Ad checks.
      Adrok raises 13.50.
      RocknRoll_Ad raises 53.30.
      Adrok calls 5.60.

Showdown:
      RocknRoll_Ad shows 7s 9h 6d 10s.
      RocknRoll_Ad has 6s 7s 8s 9h 10d: Straight
      Adrok shows 4s 5h 2d 4d.
      Adrok has 2d 3d 4h 5h 6s: Straight

Pot Summary:
      34.20 is returned to RocknRoll_Ad (uncalled).
      Total Pot: 51.70
      RocknRoll_Ad wins 50.70.
      House Rake: 1.00
    • Guntersafeword
      Guntersafeword
      Bronze
      Homework #2

I think the starting hand chart is pretty tight and a good way to go about taking my cash game to the next level. Having been more of a MTT player.. sometimes I wouldn't even think about being that loose! Playing only premium PP and AK, in certain scenarios. In terms of changing how to play the hands, I feel it would be more about when you see a player limping a wide range of hands or playing particularly loose, then I think raising instead of calling some of the suited connectors or K high type of hands might be a bit more profitable and make the limper/loose player more accountable for his play.

I don't really have any Preflop hand questions at the moment.

AKo's equity against the top 5% is 46.32% which to be honest is higher than I thought it would be... :)

Even though I didn't have any preflop questions yet, I'm sure something will pop up.. but I will move on to lesson 3 if that's OK..

Cheers Veriz... and Good luck with the move..

Adam
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

By the way if you want hands to get analyzed would be nice if you posted them into Hand Evaluation section. Beginners' Course section is rather for theory mainly and the homework.

Thanks for the good words, I arrived and now trying to find a flat + new PC with monitor. :D

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.