Postflop Chart

• zedkay
      zedkay
      Bronze
      I am new and trying to understand the Postflop chart.

If I have a "Monster" and my opponent raises before me, when it is my decision after him, is there a rule according to MSS or do I use my judgement?

Does " Bet/Raise" mean "All in" in this example?

As a beginner I was hoping this would be covered in the MSS.
  • 3 replies
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Platinum
      Hello.

If you have a monster, the chart tells you to bet/raise as you said. That means if there already was a bet before you, you raise 3x original bet size (or more if the original bet is too small, like minbet). If your calculated raise size is more than half of your stack, you go all in. I guess that was your question?

Of course there are other options how to play monsters depending on opponents and/or board textures, but while being new to poker just follow the chart till you learn the basics :)
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      As stated above, the chart is pretty clear but also make sure you've read the articles so you know that sort of thing.

Regarding judgement... Always use your judgement. Not all players are the same so a chart can't always be right. And with a monster and a medium stack you should be looking to get your chips in the pot. But remember to use your judgement to decide what you have. For example 2pair is not a monster hand on all flops, and certainly by the turn or river it may frequently no longer feel like a monster hand.

Read the articles, understand the charts, watch your opponents. Combine ALL of that with your judgement and you'll be fine.
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Try going to the strategy section and take a few quizzes on MSS
      They would be helpfull understanding some postflop strategies and situations