Citizen Kyy-B-ERI-1

• Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Hmm. It says this is "your POKER blogs" section. But I don't really want to talk about poker. Almost thought about putting this to "learning to win" section, but it's not a bloggin' place. So here I am, with a plan.

And the plan is to lose some weight. I will start on Monday, which is 1,5 days ahead. I won't be making stupid "I run zillion miles today, lost 145g" on daily basis. The plan is to post about stuff that comes to my mind when losing weight. Or trying to lose. Thoughts about food, exercising and stuff.

I have another goal too, I want to buy a hamster. So at some point, when I feel that the time is right (I have learned about hamsters and feel like I can be a responsible dad for one) I will get one. So at that point this blog will be about losing weight and hamster. Those go hand in hand, right? :D

Of course I am open for any discussion, poker related or not. But the main subject is not to post any bankroll updates or boring hand histories. If something interesting happens in poker, I will let you know.

ETA of hamster: 4 weeks.
  • 232 replies
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      subcribed =)
    • juanchapi
      juanchapi
      Bronze
      Good idea!
      Maybe u can start by posting your starting weight and ideal weight. Also how is your diet now and how can you change it.
      "Mens sana in corpore sano. "
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Couldn't post starting weight cos I want to measure it in the morning. Someone might ask why, so here is the reason:

When you are controlling your weight, the weight-in should be made in the morning. If you do it in the evening, everything you do and eat during the day affects that. Hydration level, when you are and how much etc. But in the morning your hydration level should be good, and you haven't (at least shouldn't have!) eat anything for the past hours. So it has lot less variance.

Mine is 104,2kg this morning, so the very first goal is to go 2 digits.

I know a lot about sports, exercising, nutritioning etc. It's just that I am also sort of a hedonist, I like to eat good tasting food. And usually that "good tasting" equals some fats. I think human can be addicted to trash food. Just like one can be addicted to candys and coffeine. I haven't really eat any candies for many years, only now and then but rarely.

I like to cook, and when I cook it's not the most healthiest food in the world. But definitely not the worst. I think it's good old home food, which would be great for someone that doesn't need to lose weight. So now I have to do some minor adjustments.

The biggest problem in not losing the weight so far has been the times when I feel too tired to cook, or I am too busy to cook. Then I grab something fast from the shop or local pizzeria. And pretty much 95% of that is non-healthy. Pizzas, chicken wings, french fries, sausages etc.

Here in Finland we have great selections of low-fat products in our shops. Cooking cream, for an example, is available at 5% fat, 7% fat, 10% fat , 15% fat, 20% fat and more. And with different flavors too. So there are a LOT of creams to choose from.

My average usage is about 3000 calories (Kcal, but I use word calories as it's easier) a day, without any freetime activities. I am a taekwondo coach, and I train with my students when it's possible. So I have to come up with a plan that involves some exercising every day. I have thought about doing some muscle workout routine every evening, and then some cardio with my indoor bike when I can't train at the dojo. That would bring up my daily usage to about 3500 calories.

To lose weight, I need to get less than that. 1000 calories per day equals about 1kg loss in a week. In theory. Of course a lot of things affects that, but in general that's the way it goes. I will try that 2500 per day, but if it seems too little I will raise it up a little. I bought a small scale so I can measure my ingredients and calculate my calories from there. I get a free meal at my work, but I have no idea how many calories is in that food. It is a school dinner, and in Finland we have pretty good school dinners, at least compared to some other countries. I have to use some general guides and just estimate the calories.

I haven't had a breakfast almost ever, I just don't like to eat when I wake up. I was in a school for 3 years, where we had a high class hotel level free breakfast every morning. I mean there was almost anything you would like to have. And totally free, easy to take. During those three years I went to the breakfast once, ate one tiny sandwich and didn't want anything else.

But when I have been awake for couple of hours, I get hungry. Someone suggested that "wake up couple of hours earlier" but that sucks. I like to sleep. And I definitely don't like to wake up. So to wake up earlier means going to bed earlier, and that sucks. I am definitely an evening person, my creativity and productivity is at best at evenings.

So I am wondering, is it bad not to have breakfast? When I am at work, I might have a plate of porridge some days. If I go to work after they have had their breakfast, I will have lunch in about 1,5 hours so it's good.

I registered to finnish site that has a HUGE nutrition bank, pretty much every food and ingredient there is. And you can just select the portion size and it will calculate calories and stuff for you. Pretty handy software.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Good luck with the weight Kyy, the Hamster needs no luck, and only research!
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      I'm not sure how many kilojoules there are in a hamster, but it's certainly a worthy goal!

Do you intend to have it on a bun, or simply spit roast it?
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      BTW, best of luck with your endeavour. It's all about getting in good patterns of behaviour and forward planning.

:s_thumbsup:
    • METALzx
      METALzx
      Bronze
      Look into Ketogenic diet, also gl ;)
    • M1rCea
      M1rCea
      Bronze
      good luck kyyberi, nice challenge!

indeed, i think the most important part is the nutrition one.

i've been involuntarily exposed over the years to people really into weight loss and it seems cutting the flour and refined sugars out of your diet is key.

Something that motivates me to eat healthy is that I found that it really impacts my mental state and clarity. I think a lot more clearly than when I eat healthy. For me, this means better poker decisions, better day to day mood, greater ability to focus.

Just take your time and observe the effects of the food you're eating on your mood, mind, focus and you'll be much more motivated to cut out the junk.

Hope this helps!
      gogogo

Daniel
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Damn! I made a loooooong post but it took so long that I got logged out. So when I tried to post it, it got lost. Meh :(

In short:
      Yesterday I had 2150cal, ate some cheese-filled sausages and ice creams, I still have some ice creams in my freezer.
      I don't like high-tech diets as I believe in healthy, balanced food.
      Pasta is bad, 200g pasta has 700cal, 200g potatoes have 150cal. 200g rice has 300cal.
      I will make a chicken salad today, and see how many calories there is. Will put the recepy and pics of it here.

If someone wants to know more about some of those, I can rewrite the stuff that just got lost.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Re whether it is bad or not to eat breakfast, I can't see that it really matters unless you eat poorly mid morning as a result of lower blood sugar levels.

If you're eating rolled oats (assuming minimal added fat/sugar) mid morning then that's probably fine. If you're nicking into the biscuit jar then it probably isn't and means you need to make sure you have other, "better" options to snack on.

Now I've actually read your posts (weird concept LDO) it sounds like you'll nail this challenge pretty comfortably. You don't have to get rid of most of the bizarre beliefs about nutrition most people hold.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kyyberi

Pasta is bad, 200g pasta has 700cal, 200g potatoes have 150cal. 200g rice has 300g.
      I have a feeling the rice is cheating...

We should report it!
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I know who's cheating! I wrote cal, and you admins changed it! Scam, it's a scam!

I have studied coaching and health stuff for about 5 years so I think I have pretty good understanding of this subject. The biggest threat is myself, I am sort of "naah, tomorrow..." type of guy.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Procrastinators UNITE!

Tomorrow.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I made that chicken salad, and decided to go for good taste instead if minimum calories. So I made grilled halloumi cheese with it, and some thousand island dressing. Even despite of those two, the total calories were little less than 500cal. Cheese was about 150cal, so without that it's pretty low-cal stuff.

That plate is not a small one, it's bigger than normal. Sort of a restaurant size. As I made a base salad and just cut that in half, it got little big. But then again, that big portion with some chicken and halloumi and only 500cal is still less than one Big Mac.

Iphone is not the best tool to take pictures. That's the only bad thing about the phone.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Looks lush mate, but those halloumi slices must be very thin to amount to only 150cal heh. Good luck with your weight loss and I'm sure you'll be successful since you really seem to know your stuff.

[Also, expected vegan/animal ethicist comment: please don't buy hamsters from pet shops or breeders, it's an appalling trade. Maybe someone will give you one for free eh? Kids always getting bored of them.]

Peace x
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      That halloumi is light version, 12% fat. About 1cm thick.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I love grilled halloumi.. haven't had it for years, thanks for reminding me it's awesome, and I can't get it here :(
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Why can't you get it? I will send you some for Christmas if you want.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I am skinny as hell :( But still subscribed! Looks like this is going to become an interesting blog!

Good luck Kyy!