[NL2-NL10] NL10: AQ BBvsSB 3Bet vs midstack

    • Avatars91
      Avatars91
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.12.2009 Posts: 2,689
      Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1860352
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

      CO: $10.00
      BTN: $17.00
      SB: $4.00
      Hero (BB): $19.31
      UTG: $8.60
      MP: $11.21

      Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with Q :diamond: A :heart:
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.25, Hero raises to $0.95, 1 fold

      Villain's stats:
      VPIP/PFR/Foldto3Bet/hands
      24/19/0(1)/93

      Villain had called 1 3Bet IP once, but I still am not too sure the 3Bet here is good since I guess that villain is most likely going broke with a value range there and against that range I don't really think that we are doing that well. Probably should have just called and played it postflop and 3Bet AK–JJ only.
  • 11 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Hello Avatars91,

      Well, what's the purpose of the 3bet here? For value or bluff or what?

      Best Regards.
    • Avatars91
      Avatars91
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.12.2009 Posts: 2,689
      At the time of play I thought that villain is maybe capable of calling with worse hands and shoving with better ones, but now that I take a look at the spot, I guess that villain is too often just simply pushing or folding. And against his pushing range I don't really think I'm doing that well, therefore I should just call and play it postflop against his wider range.

      Is my thought process OK?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      At the time of play I thought that villain is maybe capable of calling with worse hands and shoving with better ones, but now that I take a look at the spot, I guess that villain is too often just simply pushing or folding. And against his pushing range I don't really think I'm doing that well, therefore I should just call and play it postflop against his wider range.

      Is my thought process OK?
      Against his stack usually I would rather 3bet it for value which means I'd also plan to go broke than just 3bet/Fold it without any specific reason to assume that he still calls it down, which of course wouldn't make sense for him unless he is super bad.
    • Avatars91
      Avatars91
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.12.2009 Posts: 2,689
      Looking at his VPIP/PFR values, does it not look like as if villain has got at least some clue about the game? Of course 24/19 on its own does not tell us much but is there not a reason to doubt that this villain gets dealt, for example, AJ and is super excited to just raise/shove preflop?
      He simply looks like one of those weird midstack regs.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Looking at his VPIP/PFR values, does it not look like as if villain has got at least some clue about the game? Of course 24/19 on its own does not tell us much but is there not a reason to doubt that this villain gets dealt, for example, AJ and is super excited to just raise/shove preflop?
      He simply looks like one of those weird midstack regs.
      I don't get your point here? What has it to do with the 3bet?
    • Avatars91
      Avatars91
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.12.2009 Posts: 2,689
      Villain simply looks like a player that is competent enough not to push against our 3Bet with a range against which we can happily call. After all he is using the auto-rebuy option and his VPIP/PFR stats suggest that he has got at least some clue about the game. Do such players push, for example, with AJ once they get 3Bet? I am a bit scared without reads. For that reason maybe it is better to just cold call instead of 3Betting.
      Thus it would be probably also better to 3Bet a polarized range against him consisting of AK, JJ+ and some bluffs until I get an impression of how he reacts to 3Bets.

      Let me know where my thought process is off.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Villain simply looks like a player that is competent enough not to push against our 3Bet with a range against which we can happily call. After all he is using the auto-rebuy option and his VPIP/PFR stats suggest that he has got at least some clue about the game. Do such players push, for example, with AJ once they get 3Bet? I am a bit scared without reads. For that reason maybe it is better to just cold call instead of 3Betting.
      Thus it would be probably also better to 3Bet a polarized range against him consisting of AK, JJ+ and some bluffs until I get an impression of how he reacts to 3Bets.

      Let me know where my thought process is off.
      Well, then doesn't make sense to 3bet either. :) That's what I wanted to point out, it doesn't really have much to do with the stats. If we 3bet then it means we 3betting for value and planning also call it off. Doesn't make sense to 3bet such an amount and then just waste the money and fold.
    • Avatars91
      Avatars91
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.12.2009 Posts: 2,689
      Even if we decide to 3Bet we should/could probably make it smaller, i.e., adjust it to his stack size?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Even if we decide to 3Bet we should/could probably make it smaller, i.e., adjust it to his stack size?
      Yes, especially if you are having that kind of plan which you had. :)
    • Avatars91
      Avatars91
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.12.2009 Posts: 2,689
      But it won't make my plan good all of a sudden, will it? :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      But it won't make my plan good all of a sudden, will it? :)
      Nah, I doubt that guy still calls with a lot worse hands but instead he just shoves with them. :D That's the problem with the 3bet and instead maybe vs decent opponent as you said should be better to keep his range wide and call.