[NL2-NL10] NL10: KJ bad call + spewy check/raise?

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 3 players - View hand 1860370
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $11.46 - VPIP: 39, PFR: 24, 3B: 11, AF: 2,6, Hands: 131
      Hero (BB): $10.15 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,6, Hands: 50191
      BTN: $7.86 - VPIP: 50, PFR: 30, 3B: 0, AF: 4,0, Hands: 10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with J :club: K :heart:
      BTN raises to $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) 8 :diamond: 5 :heart: 8 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.45, BTN raises to $3.90, Hero folds

The preflop call is quite questionable, probably. At the time of play I thought that since we are 3handed, everyone's ranges are likely wider so a call wouldn't be that bad since I am also playing back on some flops.

As played though – is this the kind of a spot that is good for a move? At least one condition is fulfilled – we have backdoor equity with 2 overcards + backdoor 2nd nut FD. The question now remains – do we have enough fold equity here?
      Given the fact that the opponent is practically unknown, should we not be afraid of the fact that he is not fullstacked and therefore likely bad, i.e., not really folding that often postflop? (for that same reason we can maybe assume also that I shouldn't be calling with such hands preflop, since playing back with them against possibly loose opponents is rather difficult?)
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Why would you try to overplay a loose opponent? You picking definitely totally wrong targets and especially whilst you can't even represent much on the board...

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      1) So I would assume that in order to even consider bluffing such possibly loose and loose opponents we have to have much better equity in the hand, i.e., either OESDs or FDs, or some sort of a combo draw, not just some overcards or backdoor FDs?

2) If our options to play back against such opponents are so limited, is the preflop call here not close at best? We are basically just hoping for a hit (although I would assume that villain is capable of paying us off when we hit)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      1) So I would assume that in order to even consider bluffing such possibly loose and loose opponents we have to have much better equity in the hand, i.e., either OESDs or FDs, or some sort of a combo draw, not just some overcards or backdoor FDs?

2) If our options to play back against such opponents are so limited, is the preflop call here not close at best? We are basically just hoping for a hit (although I would assume that villain is capable of paying us off when we hit)
      Basic and simple rule, don't try to bluff a station. ;) Why would they be close? If we still can improve or get paid whenever we hit big cause those guys are very likely to pay whilst good players wouldn't pay very often.
      Bronze
      Basic and simple rule, don't try to bluff a station.

Would a semibluff check/raise with a strong draw such as an FD/OESD/Combo draw against this kind of an opponent not be good? It could be a bit too early to classify this villain as a complete calling station since basically the only information we have is his stack size.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Basic and simple rule, don't try to bluff a station.

Would a semibluff check/raise with a strong draw such as an FD/OESD/Combo draw against this kind of an opponent not be good? It could be a bit too early to classify this villain as a complete calling station since basically the only information we have is his stack size.
      Well, right now you didn't have it. :P So nope, it's not good and with strong draws or whatsoever hands we of course play aggressively if we played it passively preflop unless we have some other reasons.