maybe I'm not made for the game...

• Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      Hi ! I've been playing this Zoom on PS and it's been fun for a while in NL10, but now, I kind of lost a big and important part of my bankroll, something like 30% ( and to be honest I am disappointed ). I've been playing poker constantly for a couple of years now and before I rarely had sessions when I lose ( I was seriously thinking that if move up to the NL100 there is a big probability that I will quit my job and start playing poker full time ). To be honest, I don't know what's going on, I think that I've played so much during this years and I'm just tired of it. Most of the times when I push all in 100-150BB I don't feel anything, no rush, no adrenaline, I am very untouched by what's happening there and after I'm getting the tilt and anger sensation after the hand ends ( which I normally don't know very well because I am not very used with losing ). I don't know, maybe I'll try to take a break or something and start to play less hours in a session or something.
      The thing is, I am playing bad, that's why I am losing mostly, that and a couple of bad beats. I am bluffing this people that they don't know anything about poker and getting impossible calls with marginal hands which are killing my morale and making me lose a lot of money ).
      If I won't be able to deal with this bad beats and control my bluffs I think that it will be better if I stop playing poker, even this that will literally break my heart because I was thinking I am pretty good at doing this ( for the micros I mean, not Phil Ivey good )... On the other hand, I know it may sound pathetic, but if I stop playing poker it's like a small part of my is dieing.. I am used with playing 7 days per week, minimum 2h, maximum 12h per day.
      Thanks for reading this long and maybe boring story !
  • 14 replies
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Take a break and re-evaluate what you want to achieve playing poker. Are you playing because you hope to at one point make a living solely playing poker? If so, is that something you really want? I mean, it's fun, but you will really isolate yourself and develop a very narrow set of skills that don't won't generally be recognized outside of poker. Is this something you really want to take in that direction? If you do, you need to start thinking more along the lines of treating it like a job: sometimes it will suck -- all jobs do -- but you just got to grind it out. Bluffing micro fishes isn't something you need to be doing if you're solely interested in moving up the limits: there will be a thousand better spots to make plays, so just fold and get on with it.

Or did you start playing for fun and to make some money on the side? Do you just want to get better for the thrill of achieving something? If so, then why not start playing some other variants, or mix in some SNGs and MTTs or whatever. Learn some new stuff and open up new doors -- why not make a blog or something ("From NL to PLO: micro fishing"). There's loads of different things to be trying out.

I guess the thing I notice with myself and others is that they start playing for fun, realize that they have the potential to make money, and then get stuck in this middle-ground area where they know they don't want to do it as a living (or can't) but think of it as something more than just a hobby that they develop and enjoy. This isn't a great place to be: bad beats make you feel awful since your mindset isn't set on taking it as something serious and accepted variance etc. (i.e. playing for a living), but you're also not even enjoying the rush of playing that you had when it was just a hobby. Kinda sucks.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. But take a break, think about what you want to achieve, then approach it differently. Anyone can beat the game, as long as they are dedicated and put in the time.

Good luck.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      quit zoom tables

as stupid as it sounds, you can thank me later.
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ains21
      Take a break and re-evaluate what you want to achieve playing poker. Are you playing because you hope to at one point make a living solely playing poker? If so, is that something you really want? I mean, it's fun, but you will really isolate yourself and develop a very narrow set of skills that don't won't generally be recognized outside of poker. Is this something you really want to take in that direction? If you do, you need to start thinking more along the lines of treating it like a job: sometimes it will suck -- all jobs do -- but you just got to grind it out. Bluffing micro fishes isn't something you need to be doing if you're solely interested in moving up the limits: there will be a thousand better spots to make plays, so just fold and get on with it.

Or did you start playing for fun and to make some money on the side? Do you just want to get better for the thrill of achieving something? If so, then why not start playing some other variants, or mix in some SNGs and MTTs or whatever. Learn some new stuff and open up new doors -- why not make a blog or something ("From NL to PLO: micro fishing"). There's loads of different things to be trying out.

I guess the thing I notice with myself and others is that they start playing for fun, realize that they have the potential to make money, and then get stuck in this middle-ground area where they know they don't want to do it as a living (or can't) but think of it as something more than just a hobby that they develop and enjoy. This isn't a great place to be: bad beats make you feel awful since your mindset isn't set on taking it as something serious and accepted variance etc. (i.e. playing for a living), but you're also not even enjoying the rush of playing that you had when it was just a hobby. Kinda sucks.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. But take a break, think about what you want to achieve, then approach it differently. Anyone can beat the game, as long as they are dedicated and put in the time.

Good luck.
      This is great advice. :D
    • FaTDoGBG
      FaTDoGBG
      Bronze
      +1 for the great advice and also +1 for quitting zoom :)
    • Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      Since I don't own a HUD because it will cost me something like half a bankroll, I am trying to play Zoom because over there I have the edge against the fishes ( the edge being my better skills comparing me to their skills ) and against the good ones as well ( they don't know my game ). Anyway, I was taking a better look ( I have 2 bankrolls, one on PS, one on Titan ). The game is very different between PS and Titan. On Stars, you won't see anybody fold to a preflop raise, on Titan they do it a lot.
      Anyway, thanks for the good advices, I will try to apply them.
    • Blade90
      Blade90
      Bronze
      If hem costs half your bankroll, then u r severely under rolled for NL10. Thats all.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rahica
      Since I don't own a HUD because it will cost me something like half a bankroll, I am trying to play Zoom because over there I have the edge against the fishes ( the edge being my better skills comparing me to their skills ) and against the good ones as well ( they don't know my game ). Anyway, I was taking a better look ( I have 2 bankrolls, one on PS, one on Titan ). The game is very different between PS and Titan. On Stars, you won't see anybody fold to a preflop raise, on Titan they do it a lot.
      Poker strategy has its own HUD called Elephant. Check out the software part of the site. Good luck.

Edit: oops, looks like I'm well out of date. Ignore the above.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by ains21
      Originally posted by Rahica
      Poker strategy has its own HUD called Elephant. Check out the software part of the site. Good luck.
      They no longer have elephant, they stopped working on it like a year ago. You can get by for like half a year trying out HM1,HM2, PT3,PT4. They all offer trials and you should be good for a few months. After that you should be able to grind out 50$ to be able to afford one of them, and most of them offer micro stakes version and you can upgrade it as you move up.

As for thinking about going pro while still playing micros, don't. The skill difference between nl2-nl25 isn't nearly as big as the skill difference between nl25 and nl100. There's 3 times less fish and the regs are 3 times better as a rough estimate. Many regs on nl100 play for a living while on the micro's even the ''regs'' are more or less recreational players.
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze
      Use PT 3 HUD, it has 60 days to try it for free. :D
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Poker is a hard game, there's bad days and there's good days. Losing money sucks, but that is something we all need to accept as poker players. I understand that you lost 30% of your bankroll and the affects of that is emotionally overwhelming.

I recommend that you take a small break, like 1 week off where you just don't play poker at all. Read some articles about poker, watch poker, or read a book about poker so you have a better understanding of the type of game you are playing (zoom, SNG, MTT, cash).

In addition, what motivates you to play poker? I've had my doubts about my playing ability before, but I've always found my way back to playing again because of sheer motivation to become a better and more competitive player (other reasons too).

I've lost $800.00 in one day before which was 66% of my bankroll at the time. I took a long break, bought some books, reviewed hands on HEM and started playing again but not as much as I used too since I've become more bust with other things.

I wish you the best in playing this type of poker format and hope this post helped you in some way.

MB
    • Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      This forum on pokerstrategy is something amazing I swear ! You can find support, good advices, or you can find out that you're just a weak player. I think it's just all part of the game in the end, and I understand that, but my morale was never that down. Most of my session were ending with good profits and when I was losing, it wasn't that bad at all ( I was losing 1-3BI ), but never 60$ downswing ( that's something like 12BI )..

Anyway, I just posted to thank everybody who helped me in this tough point of my game, so I thank each one who posted with the intention of helping me and I want to let you know that there are all helpful stuff ! Cheers !
    • AwaysRemember
      AwaysRemember
      Bronze
      When all trial periods are over you can just reinstall your os and use them again for a new trial and so on
    • martinemem
      martinemem
      Bronze
      Or just erase the registry file.
      Type regedit in run mode. Search with good fantasy, and u find the file. However u can destroy your pc by erasing the wrong files.
    • DirtyDunton
      DirtyDunton
      Bronze
      I recently went through a similar spell. Not quite as bad, but similar.

I think I have regained my game, although; I am still losing to donk calls in late game tourneys. Sucks when you play your AAA game and someone shoves you all in when you know you have the "nuts" yet you still lose.

I took a few days off, read some articles and a few pages out of some poker books and that got me refocused.

If you can regain your focus and play smart, it is just a matter of time before return to your winning ways.