This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Overpair wrong played?

• KaniSama
      KaniSama
      Bronze
      I've encountered a problem that concerns me.

I'm in late position and I've got a good pocket pair like JJ or QQ so i raise like four BB. On the flop I'm still good with an overpair so I start betting and I'm getting one caller. On the Turn the situation is the same so I bet again.
      But on the River when I bet the caller goes All-In.
      So what am I supposed to do? I still got an Overpair and the caller could have Top Pair, but most of the time I call, he shows me a set.

Am I overplaying this hand?
  • 5 replies
    • blue27raven
      blue27raven
      Bronze
      I had the same problem, until i realized that i don't get any info from my opp. I raise pre-flop, he calls: with what?!. Ragged flop- i bet 3/4 of the pot or even the pot smtms, he calls. Does he have a set? A better pair? Needless to say that i'm check till the end, and even fold if he overbets the pot. Now i just limp with TT,JJ 90% of the time. I'll tell you how it works.

B.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Are we talking about SSS or BSS here?

If you are shortstacked, you should go All-In directly on the Flop if not Pre-Flop in order to protect your hand for certain draws at the turn or river. That's the way I see it ;) Then you do not have any control anymore and that could be an advantage whereas new players could give players a free card for example.

If we are talking about BSS, well you should utilitize the PokerAce hud in order to read his plays.

I do not advice to limp with TT & JJ in late position because it will have a 5 players pot with even more possibilities to have you beat. I tried it once with Pocket Kings, didnt worked out :) as SSS'er
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      I don't know if its right but this is the way I play it. Raise preflop, then raise flop when you have the overpair. If there are 2 cards that can possibly help him for a flush draw or a OESD and my opponent calls I check him on the river. If he continues betting most of the times I fold. if he checks he is waiting for a draw. if on the river isn't a card that completes a draw I raise. In all other cases I check, even fold if he raises just because there are to many options that can bury you
      for example if you have a flop 9(d) 10(d) 3s(s) there is a flush/oesd possibility, maybe both, 10 10, 9 9, A A, K K, A K, even sometimes 9 10(s), or I have encountered even A 10, A 9, K 10, K 9 who think this is the nuts and just stick with it to the end. In that case any A or K is dangerous to your hand
      this is my opinion of course :D
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi guys

It's not that easy to answer your question, because it depends on the structure of the board and you opponent.
      In general:
      Raise preflop is standard.
      Bet/raise flop is standard.
      Betting the turn is most of the times right. If you get raised there you are very often beat.
      On the river I bet if he checks to me most of the times, and call if he bets normally. If I am OOP and bet and he pushes all-in it depends on the odds I get and the possibility that my hand is still good. If you have just and overpair on a very ugly board, fold is often right.

I recommend to post sample hands in our hand posting forums to get a better analysis of each situation.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Deflowerer
      Deflowerer
      Bronze
      It depends on the board but you've played pretty much the same as I play 90% of the time.
      I 've started to fold all in's on the river with overpair but still it's a 50-50% (my opinion) that your opponent has a top pair with a good kicker.
      Often I'm in a hands where on the flop there's 3 players (overpair,2pair and a guy with a set)
      I guess that's the main reason why I try to avoid some sites.

Probably a bigger push on the flop would be a nice clue or you can try and limp looking for the nuts.It's really hard to decide,especially when you're on multi tables.