Scam on 770: $1.20 Toronto SNGS

• Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      1. I think that I have been scammed by 770, and that PS support should have stuck up for me, but didn’t. The issue is over the $1.20 Toronto 10-man SNG tournaments. I played these last year with great frequency on another i-poker site. I became active on PS this year and started playing them on 770, again with great frequency.

2. The point is that the Torontos are NLHE tournaments and have ALWAYS been NLHE tournaments. That is, until a few days ago. On 14th August, I did what I normally do: I went to the lobby, clicked on two Torontos that were listed as registering, and waited for the tables to load.

3. The first point at which I became concerned was when I saw the blind levels on one table were set differently from what I had been used to when playing Torontos. The truth dawned on me when I was dealt a huge hand, tried putting in a standard big raise, and found that it was impossible.

4. The tournament had been set up NOT as NLHE, but as Limit! In my opinion, this is a substantially different game: it was not what I thought I was signing up for. From the table talk at the tournament, I was not the only one who felt deceived. I complained to 770 support, and was basically told to go boil my head.

5. The reasoning of Support was that the Toronto had been designated as Limit in the Lobby, so it was my fault for not looking properly. I checked the lobby and, indeed, one out of several Torontos on offer or in play was being designated as Limit.

6. My point is that ‘Toronto’ has become akin to a brand name: if you see a box labelled ‘Toronto’ on the shelf and pick it up, you have an expectation that you are buying NLHE, not Limit. Further, i-poker runs 10-man Limit SNGS already, under the name of ‘Noodle’, which hardly anybody plays.

7. I ran these points past PS support also, but the support person reported that she had not gotten anywhere with 770. Further, I don’t think she really saw the point of my grievance.

8. I waited to see what would happen in the lobby. 770/i-poker have now restored the status quo ante, and Torontos are now exclusively NLHE again. This means to me-
      #] The site had made some mistake in designating a few Torontos as Limit and had backtracked; or
      #] The site had tried a scam and had quit when criticised.

9. Either way, I still feel sore about the experience and I STILL want my $1.20 re-credited. I am still playing with what I have left of PS’s starting stack. Certainly there is no chance that I will deposit my own cash on i-poker until this situation is appropriately addressed.

What does the community think?
  • 18 replies
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      Further to my previous note, PS support suggested I should try contacting 770 support again.

I therefore asked for the contact details of some senior manager at 770, to be told that PS support does not have this information.

I ask the community: Is this YOUR idea of support?

Any suggestions?
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      I have a suggestion.

Stop wasting everyones time and read the tournament sign up page next time.

Accusing them of a scam is slander. You made a mistake. Your attitude is shit.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      So you really think that site would make such a scam to get $1.20?

Sometimes sites change their tournament structures or available games, that is normal as they are trying to make a better product for consumers. It is unfortunate that you ended up playing Limit instead of NL that you were used to. But to accuse the site for a scam, when you don't check where you register to, is absurd.

I really suggest that before you buy anything, you check the product.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      I agree with Glopslart on 3 points:

1. Accidently registering in a limit tournament is rage-worthy

2. Poker770 is terrible, they have bad support and will try to rip you off

3. Using a bigger font size is a good way of sounding angry, better than plain old caps lock

My suggestion is that you learn how to play limit in case this ever happens again
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bradomurder
      My suggestion is that you learn how to play limit in case this ever happens again
      :coolface:
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bradomurder
      I agree with Glopslart on 3 points:

1. Accidently registering in a limit tournament is rage-worthy

2. Poker770 is terrible, they have bad support and will try to rip you off

3. Using a bigger font size is a good way of sounding angry, better than plain old caps lock

+1

The community rallies again around another aggrieved brother/sister/non-committal. :f_thumbsup:

BTW Kyyberi says it best, with the most class.
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      I think calling it a scam is kind of silly. My only suggestion is to use the table filters from now on. You can filter out limit games by selecting NL only. Problem solved FOREVER. Honestly though man, you accidentally entered the wrong variant of poker once. Wanting your money refunded for what could easily be argued as a miss-click is silly. If everyone got refunded for those times they accidentally called an all in 72o when a table popped up over-top of something else they were doing at exactly the right moment then the poker rooms would have even poorer service. It's not too dissimilar.

You also probably don't have an argument for your branding of the table point of view. I'd be surprised if Ipoker/770 don't reserve the right to change their tournament structures whenever they feel like without warning or compensation.

Sorry man, Hope you win it back 100 fold :D

G.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I used to do this on double your money games a lot.
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      1. Wow! First, thanks to everybody who took the trouble to write a comment. I thank even those writers I do not agree with, for the time and thought they committed to the grave and weighty issue of $1.20 :) . By the way, I normally prefer to use a large typeface, simply for this reason: I am much, MUCH older than most of the community, and my eyes find smaller type difficult to read.

2. jules97:
      First, the accusation is not technically slander. It is either true, or it is fair comment: either way the accusation is protected – check it out.
      Second, yes, I made a mistake, but not of the sort you think – my mistake was to trust the site. All, I repeat all, the Torontos previously offered on i-poker had been, to my recollection, strictly NLHE. There was, and still is, a specific $1.20 10-man SNG offered as Limit on i-poker: it is called ‘Noodle’. Playing SNGs is not like playing cash, where every table has a different name.
      Therefore I came to have a legitimate expectation that, if you see something offered to you called Toronto, it will be NLHE, and that you do not need to [literally] read the small print. You do not expect to buy Toronto and get served instead with Noodle hiding inside a Toronto box!

Third, you believe I have a bad attitude. I believe that an attitude which is resistant to exploitation is highly positive, rather than negative.
      Fourth, from the table talk at the particular tournament, those who could speak English felt the same way as I did – we all thought we had been abused, so it is not just me!

3. Coach Kyyberi:
      Yes, actually I do believe that a poker site would be perfectly capable of scamming a user for $1.20. First, if you do it enough times to enough people it will be more than just $1.20. Second, my daily work for many years has been helping people who have suffered wrongs. In that work, I have learned that there are people loose who enjoy committing wrongs and abuses for their own sake, as a power trip, just to prove that they can do it, and to show that the victim cannot touch them. Actual gain from the bad acts is frequently a secondary consideration, and sometimes no consideration at all.

If it was not a scam, then it was a gross error. Note that the site has now backtracked and, AFAIK, stopped designating any Torontos as Limit – they all seem to be back as NLHE again.

4. bradomurder, Tampaloeres81, Waiboy, Jimanyjerk:
      I have actually registered for some alien game-types by mistake before. I have also clicked raise when I meant to fold! [Sometimes the raises won the pot, which is food for thought.] Those were MY mistakes, so I swallowed them, and did not make trouble. The present situation was induced by the wilful, or negligent, misconduct of the site, this is why I have been making noise – see above.
      I wish I had time to learn more poker varieties, but work and family press on me. I have been learning 7-stud hi, an excellent intellectual game, which I heartily commend to everybody, and which PS should teach.

5. On the whole, this has been an extremely positive experience for me.
      a. I have learned that you cannot trust 770;
      b. I have learned that I cannot rely on PS support to fight for me;
      c. I have learned that the community is surprisingly tolerant of abuses – the poker culture is different from mainstream consumer culture to a significant extent;
      d. I have learned that, when I come to put my own roll down on a site, it will not go on 770 nor, probably, on any i-poker site. Maybe not even with PS ....
      To have learned all this for the ridiculously cheap price of $1.20, IMHO, is brilliant!

• jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      There is a box you can tick under all the rooms called 'show only NLHE'. Ticking it is what you should have learnt. It is a simple process to filter all the games going to show only what you want.

I said your attitude is bad because you made a mistake and are blaming others. Not very conductive to learning and improving oneself.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      You realise that the poker room gets their entry fee regardless of the game or how you do right? So why would they do what your suggestions

Also you say your active in PS, you have 12 posts? Take your poker BR, give it to charity your Gunna lose it anyways may as well lose it to charity
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      How can you not know how to play limit and play no limit tho? Its like 1/10th the game even if you never played it some common sense and ur not doin too bad
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      You lost $2.40. You have just wasted hours trying to retrieve $2.40 even though you concede that the lobby stated the tournament was a limit tournament. Tournaments and branding change all the time and Poker770 labelled the new 'Toronto' tournament as limit to explain the change.

Be realistic man.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Targetme
      How can you not know how to play limit and play no limit tho? Its like 1/10th the game even if you never played it some common sense and ur not doin too bad
      but you have to sit throught a limit tournament, there's nothing worse. you cant even jam every hand and hope to bust quick
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      You say they scammed your money, but the site gets only the rake. So the site's profit isthe same whether it's NL or FL. Or even better in NL as it goes faster. So do you really say that they changed the game on purpose, just to piss customers off?
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      This smells like bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit:

:]
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      I am sick and tired of whining threads like this. Do you know how many times i have registered for 400Gtd - PLO instead of NLHE in everest ? The buy in for that is $5.50. I have never said a word. It is your fault that you don't look at what you register to. I understand you are used to these and play them exclusively BUT the tourneys change softwares update etc etc. It is your responsibility to look at what you register. It is like buying milk from the store and then realising that the company that produces it made it from 2% to 1.5% and wanting your money back. the sign 1.5% is right there, and it's your responsibility to make sure you are buying the 2% milk. It is not their fault, it's yours
    • BIGtommo1984
      BIGtommo1984
      Bronze
      I-POKER is fine.. lot better than jokerstars........ $1.20????????? lol scam of the year.