Playing poker abroad

• Emilgin
      Emilgin
      Bronze
      Hey folks!

In the coming weeks I'm moving to Malaysia (from Sweden) and today I talked to PokerStars support and was told that I will brake their TOC if I play in a country where it is illegal such as Malaysia. However they also said it is impossible to for them to know all the laws in the different countries where it is illegal.
      So my question here is how safe would it be for me to play there and is there any other site that would be safer for me?

Here is the part of the TOC btw

individuals connecting to the Site from jurisdictions from which it is
      illegal to do so. PokerStars is not able to verify the legality
      of the Service in each jurisdiction and it is the User's
      responsibility to ensure that their use of the Service is lawful."

Regards

Emil
  • 12 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Emilgin.

Im not sure about how it would work to be fair, i don't pretend to be competent when it comes to computers or law but i would guess that if Stars is unavailable to players in Malaysia, if you sign in from a Malaysian IP address then your account will possibly/probably be blocked.

Also if you try and deposit/withdraw then you are going to have to do it from/to a Malaysian bank right? This could also result in the account being locked and funds seized etc.

I have absolutely no idea about the situation in Malaysia but if you can't play from there i can't advise anything except not to play it can only end in tears :(

Maybe someone else can come along and shed some more light onto this situation and find a way to resolve this, until then good luck

Carl
    • Emilgin
      Emilgin
      Bronze
      Thanks Carl, I'm pretty sure It's not blocked at least I know Party Poker is not however I guess there is a chance I will get my account banned. I'm also using Swedish NETELLER account so that should not be a problem.

What interests me is the toc saying that they can not "verify the legality
      of the Service in each jurisdiction and it is the User's
      responsibility to ensure that their use of the Service is lawful."

It's like saying You may not pass but we will have no idea if you do :s_confused:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Yeh its kinda like saying you shouldn't really be playing but we wont mention it if you do :D

But at the same time they could also come out and say "you want your money back? Well you can't have it we told you to make sure it was legal first"

Basically i wouldn't risk it myself you just have no security there, if other sites are allowed out there stick to the ones you know aren't gonna land you in tough spots :)
    • Emilgin
      Emilgin
      Bronze
      Yea well you're probably right, better safe then sorry I guess :)
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      Poker or no poker - I'd rather be in Malaysia than in Sweden... :(

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Don't worry about it. Thailand has the same law against online poker as Malaysia and it pretty much #1 destination for poker pros. The thing is Malaysian/Thai government doesn't really do anything about it so they pokerstars and other poker rooms just close their eyes and let you play.

Its pretty much just a law on paper but isn't really enforced. As long as Pokerstars has no legal action to fear they will let you play there or ''forget'' to check what IP your playing from.

Just don't do anything stupid like playing poker in publicly in cyber cafe's or in company of locals that might report you since then you might actually get into some trouble.

Edit:

For more info you can always ask around 2+2 travel forum. I think they got a thread about malaysia but if not then just ask in the thailand thread.
    • Emilgin
      Emilgin
      Bronze
      Thanks Matej, will give 2+2 a look as well. It would suck to give up poker when going to such a cheap country :f_cool:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Nice one thanks for the info.

Hope you're gonna post us lots of pics when you get there? :)
    • Emilgin
      Emilgin
      Bronze
      Well I'm a photographer and just bought a studio over there so yeah plenty of pics will come :D Maybe I should start a blog here too ^_^
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Yes please do sounds great.

Awesome what kind of photography do you do? (sorry not an expert on this either :D ) got any cool snaps to show us? Or should i wait for your blog ;)
    • Emilgin
      Emilgin
      Bronze
      Well I have my portfolio here http://www.emilginang.com ;) Mostly commercial and portrait stuff.

Recently been reading up on a few awesome poker books so will definitely start playing poker daily during my hot days in Malaysia :f_cool:

Blog will be up as soon as I've moved up to nl100 (very soon hopefully) just too bad my neither of my poker accounts are linked with my PS account so I can access some advanced articles ;( .
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Nice photos :)

Looking forward to reading your blog soon then.

You not tempted to try out a new poker room so you can play tracked? As well as the articles you will also gain access to the videos, live coaching and of course the higher level/stake hand evaluation forums which are of course essential to help you improve. :)

All the best
      Carl