[NL2-NL10] Nl10: Kq Cc Tp

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1862049
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP: $10.00 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 16, 3B: 9, AF: 11,0, CBetFlop: 80(5), AFq: 59, Hands: 83
      CO: $6.97 - VPIP: 44, PFR: 26, 3B: 4, AF: 13,0, Hands: 84
      Hero (BTN): $10.45 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,6, Hands: 51970
      SB: $7.80 - VPIP: 39, PFR: 16, 3B: 0, AF: 1,4, Hands: 56
      BB: $3.55 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 6, 3B: 7, AF: 1,3, Hands: 35
      UTG: $6.01 - VPIP: 6, PFR: 6, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 18

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with Q :club: K :diamond:
      1 fold, MP raises to $0.35, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.35, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.85) Q :heart: 8 :diamond: 5 :spade: (2 players)
      MP bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.85) 6 :diamond: (2 players)
      MP bets $1.00, Hero calls $1

River: ($3.85) 2 :spade: (2 players)
      MP bets $2.00, Hero folds

Preflop: not too sure I like my call since I don't want to be playing in a mwp (which is a likely scenario) with an offsuited broadway. Although there is one advantage – if SB calls he is likely paying me off, provided that MP is giving up. I could, however, go for a 3Bet and see how villain reacts.
      Postflop: I guess that it is hard to expect villain 3barreling with a weaker hand without a read but his AF and AFq makes me suspicious.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Preflop: You are against a pretty nitty opponent who CBs a lot, so not really greatest idea.

As played
      Postflop: Well, what's the purpose of calling the turn and folding the river? Especially him being rather aggressive the guy could easily just fire 3barrels even with missed hands.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Well, what's the purpose of calling the turn and folding the river? Especially him being rather aggressive the guy could easily just fire 3barrels even with missed hands.

I have always had a bit of a difficulty understanding why exactly it is not that great an idea to call on the turn and fold on the river. Mainly because I somehow am getting the impression that with each street it is getting less and less possible that villain has the courage to bluff. That said it has also seemed logical to me that it is not that unlikely that on dry boards the river card is going to be the one where the opponent is most likely going to stop, if he indeed was bluffing on the turn.

But that seems not to be a good thought process, obviously, since you disagree with my line here.

For that reason I will try and figure out the reason behind why my play in this hand is illogical and tell me, if this thought process makes sense and if it does not, then what is the real reason behind the "if you call turn you have to call most rivers" rule:

If I assume that villain is capable of bluffing the turn, it would seem logical that his range there is likely polarized, i.e., he either is bluffing with next to no equity or has a strong made hand (maybe sometimes JJ or QJ). Now, if he is bluffing on this turn card he is pretty much trying to represent a narrow range. For his play to make sense he probably thinks that he has to bet on the river very often as well.

Or do such players usually just simply either check/fold the turn or bet both the turn and river and it is up to me to decide whether he is capable of bluffing? If I think yes, then I just call until showdown unless something extraordinary happens, etc.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, if such an aggressive guy bluffs the turn then he is willing to very often bet the river again. If you think he is having a semi-bluff range or even pure bluff range on the turn then doesn't make sense to call down the turn and fold the river. Just waste of money, already on the flop we have to make our plan clear what we doing there cause I don't see such a guy ever Checking the turn if he has any kind of specific hand or bluffs or whatsoever. Unless of course I know he has a leak in CB on turn.