cash - where to start

• rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      I am an experienced STT & MTT player. I have been fairly successful over the last 3 years I have been playing, played Ladbrokes poker million twice on Sky tv, won several high value mtts and played stts at up to $500 buy in.
      I have never been very profitable at cash games - which I have only dabbled in, and have kept away from cash games for that reason and because I thought my game was more suited to tournament play.
      I would however like to start playing cash tables seriously. I dont want to play at too low limits / buy ins because I find the action is just too loose for me but I also dont want to go in too high and risk losing more.I have only ever played NL online. Have played PL live and never FL.
      Any suggestions please?
  • 7 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      We cant really tell you what limits to play, without knowing what bankroll you have.

If your bankroll allows you to play NL100, then I think starting at NL50 would be a good starting block for you.

If you don't think you will be able to move down a limit easily, you need to allow yourself a very conservative BRM.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi rhinoneil

I guess you have a nice bankroll so this is not the point to decide where to start off. I suggest to start at NL50 because this limit is still very fishy and therfore it's not difficult to make profit. After you get used to it, move up to NL100, which still is easy to beat. I suggest to post sample hands from the start on, in order to adjust as fast as possible to the new game.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey rhinoneil

I agree with TribunCaesar on NL 50. The required skill set to beat Nl 50-200 is fundamentally the same, so there is no reason to pay more for your learning process. If you are experienced poker player with a solid bankroll, then you can judge your progress and adjust your limit plan accordingly. But for the start Nl 50 fits perfectly.

By visiting our coachings you can get an idea of the difference between FR and SH games and watch our coaches playing medium-high stakes.

xylere
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      thanks for the advice, I assume by NL50 you are talking about $50 buy in ie $0.25 / $0.50 blinds.
      I havent completed the strategy guides for cash yet but intend to do so before i venture into it and the idea about coaching is a great one thank you.
      One further question, at STTs I have always been more succesful short handed - 5 or 6 seaters, do you think in that case it would be likely to correlate to cash in that i am more likely to win 6 handed than 9/10 or is it totally different?
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      It would be the best to try both shorthanded and full ring and then see what suits you more, no one can tell you what you should play, you should figure it out by yourself after a few thousand hands.

cheers
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      hi rhinoneil, wellcome to the cashgamers team :P .
      y, the abreviations are the BBx100(the max stack).The standart bankroll management is to have around 20-25 fullstacks for a certain limit.Although I wasnt as successeful as you, I started my bankroll with a decent mtt win, and then played overrolled for a month, it doesnt hurt when you lose, you dont feel it when you win, but you sure learn. I would recommend you starting full ring at first, then switch to SH(Im currently thinking about switching). The strategy articles are very nice, and its good that you have access to the gold ones, because they are much more important IMO.
      Good luck and keep us informed with your progress(maybe start a blog?)
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      I tried th nl50 playing one table. Played for about 2 hours and came out $10 up. Think I am playing too tight.