When to CBet?

• sebsejr
      sebsejr
      Bronze
      Hey guys, i am really struggling with the Cbet. When do i make it, when do i not? i think i Cbet around 85% of the time which is too much as far as i know. I play nl5 btw.

I really can't tell what flops are good to cbet. I usually don't cbet 3 way when i miss, but i am clueless as to whether or not to cbet everytime i hit? does a drawy board make a Cbet worse? high-cards? etc etc.

Can you please give me some pointers? what should i look for? anything you can think of would be helpful, also what percentage of flops i should be Cbetting, Second barelling?

Thanks! :)
  • 6 replies
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Well first thing you should ask when cbetting is reason to do it. Do you want action or is it more like bluff? Do you think that flop has likely hit villain preflop calling range? E.g. you have A8, flop is KJx and tight villain has defended from blinds. That flop will very easily hit his calling range and it might be best to basically just give up and not to try and bluff him off from mediocre hand with two or three barrels. Versus player who calls wide that flop would be much better cbet and possibly multiple barrels spot as much bigger part of villain range would have missed or has hit that cannot take much heat. Just warning that don't try to bluff calling stations!

How likely is it that villain might go for check-raise? E.g. you have JT, flop is QTx with flush draw. Versus aggro opponent who might go for check-raise with many draws and made hands it might be better to check behind when in position to pot control.

Overall dry flops are usually very good for cbet for obvious reason. Villain has likely not hit it. E.g. T55 rainbow flop or A64. Though versus some villains it might sometimes get into those leveling wars where either doesn't believe that such flop has hit his opponent or some fishy players might just call flop cbet on T55 with KJ just because they might hit top pair. Without any real plan for future streets.

I don't like to say that you should cbet flop and second barrel with xy% Try to learn what sort of opponents are you playing against and try to put them on certain hand ranges. That is way to learn good spots for cbets and multiple barrels. Hand evaluation boards are very good place to help you on this :)
    • kalychko
      kalychko
      Bronze
      I can give you 1 or 2 example hope they help you a little bit.

First of all the most important thing is position. Cbet a lot more in position.

Ace high dry boards are usually good to Cbet, if u get a call don't frighten to much, a lot players call Cbets this days just to see your moves on the turn and make a bluff.

When u hit make Cbet, don't slowplay much on the low levels, make players pay for seeing next card, don't let them get their runner runner that easy.

Worst boards for Cbet are sth like 7 :club: 8 :diamond: T :club: out of position especially if u missed the flop.

Good one in genereal for Cbets are like T :club: T :heart: 4 :spade: and sth like that, think of Cbet on the turn if payd on this board.

Of course everything depends on the opponet u r playing against and his calling range preflop. Players against u can Cbet a lot more are loose passive and rocks and TAG's. LAGs (lose agressive players) are tough.

Good luck! Read 6 max by Ryan Fee :)
    • savage1981
      savage1981
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kalychko
      Cbet a lot more in position.
      Why is that?
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      By Cbetting with position would generally mean villain or villains have checked to you. This does not necessarily give you information about their hands. By CBetting flop you either win pot there and then or you get called or check raised. If you are only flat called, villain may be worried about his hand strength and you may be able to fire again on turn. If check raised you can easily drop your hand or otherwise it could cost you a whole lot more on later streets.

When CBetting OOP villains are likely to float and try and take it off you on the turn by betting if you check or bluff check raise if you double barrel on dry board.
    • savage1981
      savage1981
      Bronze
      So are you saying we should be checking more often OOP or what? I don't really understand.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by savage1981
      So are you saying we should be checking more often OOP or what? I don't really understand.
      It depends on who has position on you. If villain is a nit, rock or loose/passive then they are less likely to float.

If villain is a LAG or maniac, they are likely to float and try to steal the pot on the turn.

With CBetting you are most times playing the player, not your cards.

Board texture is also important. If you raise preflop it's easier to put villain on a much narrower range, which helps tremendously with CBetting on small flops etc.