From fake to real

• Ampped
      Ampped
      Silver
      Might as well introduce myself on the forums while I wait.

You all can call me Ampped. I've always been interested in poker, but never really put much thought into it. I downloaded a App on my phone for NL Texas holdem and that's where I really started getting into it.

The strategies on this site really opens up my mind and I'm hoping to stick with playing for real instead of imaginary money.

Thanks for reading, and any more tips making the transition smooth would be great. The articles and quizzes already helped a lot.
  • 10 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Ampped,

Welcome to our community!

Which poker room are you planning to play at then? Proper bankroll management and a lot of study will help you switch from play-money to real money games.

Good luck at the tables!
      Ingrid
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi Ampped!

Welcome to the community!

Have you taken our quiz yet for the free bankroll? I guess you did, but just to be sure :D

Playing for real money is a lot harder then playing for play money, but if you study enough and stick to the bankroll management there shouldn't be a problem.

What are you planning to play btw? Are you going to play cash games, SnG's, MTT's?

Best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
    • kalychko
      kalychko
      Bronze
      Work hard and u'll be able to win some goood cash man, good luck :)
    • Ampped
      Ampped
      Silver
      Hi Ampped,

Welcome to our community!

Which poker room are you planning to play at then? Proper bankroll management and a lot of study will help you switch from play-money to real money games.

Good luck at the tables!
      Ingrid

Bankroll comes up a lot around here. Which is good, because it seems like it will keep me from busting the bank. I chose poker770 because it was recommended, which I hope is a good place to start.

Hi Ampped!

Welcome to the community!

Have you taken our quiz yet for the free bankroll? I guess you did, but just to be sure

Playing for real money is a lot harder then playing for play money, but if you study enough and stick to the bankroll management there shouldn't be a problem.

What are you planning to play btw? Are you going to play cash games, SnG's, MTT's?

Best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet

Yup, passed the quiz right before I went to the forums. Right now I have the most experience with cash games. I'm hoping to move up to tournaments or Sit and Go's after I read up more on them. The articles here are laid out so well from what I've read so far, which makes it easy to study.

Thanks for your welcomes!
    • Arron63
      Arron63
      Bronze
    • Ampped
      Ampped
      Silver
      Originally posted by Arron63
      Read strategies, do this, do that, but at the end of the day you get sucked out.

Oh and "variance", just don't cash out after your first deposit and you should be fine. +EV if you don't cashout.
      Sorry but I'm not too familiar with the lingo yet. What do you mean by variance and +EV?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      this is the introductions forum, don't troll :P

as for OP's questions:

variance is... variance, mostly used to refer to the influence of luck in the short term
      EV is "expected value", so +EV is something that gives you a positive expected value in the long term (aka "a profitable thing")
      mostly used to refer to good plays in hand discussions
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      @ Arron

Thats not very nice :( Everyone gets sucked out on yeah, but thats not every day.

@ Tomaloc

Thanks for the help! :f_love:

@ Ampped

Don't forget that we have more resources then articles! We also have:
      Video's

Live coachings

Poker tools to help you with your game

And don't forget the forums of course!

best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
    • Arron63
      Arron63
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      @ Arron

Thats not very nice :( Everyone gets sucked out on yeah, but thats not every day.

@ Tomaloc

Thanks for the help! :f_love:

@ Ampped

Video's

Live coachings

RasTweet
      I was badly tilted last night, and v drunk :(

But yeah, going from fake money to real, you will see an obvious difference in how tight players play because it's real money (although there are some exceptions :f_biggrin: ).

SnG's are a good place to start imo.
    • Ampped
      Ampped
      Silver
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      this is the introductions forum, don't troll :P

as for OP's questions:

variance is... variance, mostly used to refer to the influence of luck in the short term
      EV is "expected value", so +EV is something that gives you a positive expected value in the long term (aka "a profitable thing")
      mostly used to refer to good plays in hand discussions
      Thank you! It may take me a while to get used to the lingo

Originally poster by RasTweet
      Video's

Live coachings

RasTweet
      The videos are great, was not expecting much so I skipped them earlier.
      I'll explore this site more in the future.

Originally posted by Arron63
      I was badly tilted last night, and v drunk

But yeah, going from fake money to real, you will see an obvious difference in how tight players play because it's real money (although there are some exceptions ).

SnG's are a good place to start imo.
      That's what I expected would happen switching to real money. Got a little tired getting beat by hands that should of never made it past the pre flop.

SnG's is probably going to be my next step. I'm currently signed up in the PokerStrategy freeroll.