MP3: £0.43 - 22 bb
      CO: £3.63 - 182 bb
      BU: £0.97 - 49 bb
      SB: £1.99 - 100 bb
      BB: £0.73 - 37 bb

0.01/0.02 No Limit Hold'em (6 Handed)
      Hand recorder for this hand: PokerStrategy.com SideKick 1.0.50815.2

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q:heart: , Q:diamond:
      SB posts small blind (£0.01), BB posts big blind (£0.02), Hero raises to £0.08, 4 folds, BB raises to £0.18, Hero calls

Flop: (£0.41 - 21 bb) 9:club: , 8:heart: , 6:diamond: (2 Players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (£0.41 - 21 bb) 2:heart: (2 Players)
      BB bets £0.16, Hero raises to £0.32, BB calls

River: (£1.05 - 53 bb) K:diamond: (2 Players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Was the raise on the turn appropriate? Or should have just called?
  • 2 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      Was the raise on the turn appropriate? Or should have just called?
      whenever you make a move like this, you have to ask what weaker hands will call you - and be realistic. like here, if you raise on the turn, what weaker hands will call? will most of them fold? i think they would. yeah he MIGHT call you on a flush draw, MAYBE pocket TT or JJ. but mainly, if he has you beaten he will always at least call you. if you just call, he might continue his bluffs on the river in which you can snap them off.

so once you think about what - if any - weaker hands call you, you have to ask yourself if you still want to raise. also, how will you react to a push after you raise? or even a call? if you really dont want to see him push or call, then you're probably best off just calling and playing in position. if you dont want to see these things yet you still raise, then you are turning your hand into a bluff - which isn't really a good thing to do with a strong overpair like this because you have showdown value.

this is the way i see it and once i understood this it helped me out a lot.

also as played there is no need to minraise, for 2 reasons.
      1) minraising gives people good odds to continue - you should give them bad odds to continue. that way they make mistakes against you.

2) he is a short stack and so if you are raising for value then just jam it in because he only has something like 20b left by the time you raise

and actually, given that final reason, i would also just ship it preflop because his stack is so short. just get it in for value and im sure he will call with worse!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Rihard4a,

Preflop: You should be just 4betting and getting it in vs his stack preflop there. No point to Call and let him maybe catch something.

As played
      Postflop: But otherwise of course the min-raise doesn't really make sense, if you want to raise then put him all-in directly there, although should have already bet the flop. :)

Best Regards.