[NL2-NL10] A3o from BU

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $5.80 (58 bb)
      CO: $20.55 (205.5 bb)
      BB: $13.75 (137.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $10.05 (100.5 bb)
      SB: $3.18 (31.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A 3
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) Q A 2 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.45) T (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1, BB folds

Results:
      $1.45 pot ($0.07 rake)
      Final Board: Q A 2 T
      BB mucked and lost (-$0.70 net)
      Hero mucked A 3 and won $1.38 ($0.68 net)

villain is unknown
      for me this is a standard raise from the button . On the flop I assume i'm ahead with top pair. i dont picture many aces flat calling from the button. maybe some suited aces. i bet for value and anticipate that i could get called from some second pairs like QT, QJ maybe Q9 but that may be optimistic and some spade draws. What kind of range would you put an unknown on calling from the big blind,I imagine something like 99-22,A9s-A2s,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,KTo+,QTo+,JTo . After the flop i've given him something like 22,A9s-A2s,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,KQo,QTo+. I bet the turn here for free river. The turn bet feels like a mistake here because the ten helps his range a bit now KJ got there QT has two pair. my equity is around 50% against the range 22,KTs+,QTs+,JsTs,KQo,QTo+ so should i just check the turn? have i given the villain a reasonable range here? need feedback
  • 10 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello legand73,

Why wouldn't there be Aces which call there? :) Especially he is unknown, how can you ever say that? Before knowing the guy you can never-ever say that and even I'd say vs known guy you can super-easily see there tons of Ax hands.

As long you are removing all the Ax hands from the range then I could already say the range isn't realistic. Why ain't he calling you for example with AJ?

But yes, we rather betting the turn and doing it for free showdown + protection.

Best Regards.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      I suppose i just guess that villain would 3bet AT+ but when you put it like that i guess that is unrealistic. Cheers for the feedback
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      What hands are we protecting against here on the turn i mean?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by legand73
      I suppose i just guess that villain would 3bet AT+ but when you put it like that i guess that is unrealistic. Cheers for the feedback
      Why? :) I would say the opposite, he could easily just Call with those hands.

What do you mean by what hands to protect on turn? Take a look at the board and you can tell that even yourself. :P
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Why? I would say the opposite, he could easily just Call with those hands.

I don't have a reason for thinking this other than the fact that i would do this in this situation. I'm just trying to get a feel for thinking in ranges
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      What do you mean by what hands to protect on turn? Take a look at the board and you can tell that even yourself.

I can tell now that i have given the villain too narrow a range. What kind of range would you give an unknown villain in this spot? We protecting mainly against the flush draw and like J9, gut shot straight draw hands i presume?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Why? I would say the opposite, he could easily just Call with those hands.

I don't have a reason for thinking this other than the fact that i would do this in this situation. I'm just trying to get a feel for thinking in ranges
      Well, but why do you think everyone plays like you? :P

I can tell now that i have given the villain too narrow a range. What kind of range would you give an unknown villain in this spot? We protecting mainly against the flush draw and like J9, gut shot straight draw hands i presume?

So there is still something to protect from + avoids us turning our hand into bluff-catcher on the river, doesn't it? :)
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Well, but why do you think everyone plays like you?
      to be honest, usually to give myself a point of reference. i do just assume people play like me because i have no way of gauging how else they play. My experience is very limited so i try to have a starting point (my own style of play) and then if they deviate from this then i will make a note of the differences in their style to my own. Otherwise i find that i put them on too wide a range which is very unmanageable and i find it difficult to proceed postflop.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      So there is still something to protect from + avoids us turning our hand into bluff-catcher on the river, doesn't it?
      yeah i suppose it does.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, but why do you think everyone plays like you?
      to be honest, usually to give myself a point of reference. i do just assume people play like me because i have no way of gauging how else they play. My experience is very limited so i try to have a starting point (my own style of play) and then if they deviate from this then i will make a note of the differences in their style to my own. Otherwise i find that i put them on too wide a range which is very unmanageable and i find it difficult to proceed postflop.
      Well yeah, at least you started with something to improve your reading skills. :) Posting hands and discussing them helps you a lot in that part. So good luck with it.

Few tips I could give is categorize opponents, either loose player/tight player/nitty player or a maniac, according to that you can always decide what he does. For example here if he has high 3bet frequency then he can easily 3bet with AQ/AJ or whatsoever but if rather not then he just calls you.