Required implied odds?

• TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      So I'm taking part in the NL beginner's course. I am now trying to work my way through the exam, but there's one problem. There's a couple of questions where you have to determine what implied odds you need to call. However, I don't recall ever having seen how this is done? Maybe I just forgot it or confused it with something else? I've seen an excel sheet in the coachings, but I have no idea how to calculate what exact implied odds we need. I know how to calculate the amount of money we need to extract by the river, but I don't think that's the same thing. What I'm thinking is this, but I'm not 100% sure.

Consider this situation:

CO $100
      BU (Hero) $100

Hero has 5:heart: 6:heart:
      CO raises to $4, Hero calls, SB Folds, BB folds

Flop ($9.50): 3:club: 4:diamond: A:spade:
      CO bets $7, hero...

Now, we will make our straight 17% of the time (about 5:1). So we're not getting the right pot odds to call here directly. In fact, we're getting only 1.35:1. That means we need to extract $25.55 from villain by the river in order to call profitably.

Now, does that mean we should treat the pot as being $9.50 + $7 + $25.55 = $42.05? If so, that means we are getting 6:1 and have an easy call. However, I'm not sure if this is the right way to think about this.

Some input would be great :)
  • 3 replies
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Just to quickly point out, you have to option of hitting your straight and winning the pot obviously, in which yu need the implied odds to make this call profitable, but also your IP and its heads up, so if you do hit and hes got a hand your getting paid off, and if hes bluffing you have the option of taking it away on a later street, im not sure how you d factor this into your calculation but im just pointing out yu can always call and even if yu miss take it away and win the pot on the turn or river
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Yes, of course. I know all that. I deliberately left out all that information because that was not the focus of my question.

This is a purely mathematical question.
    • mkjmkjmkj
      mkjmkjmkj
      Bronze
      you just have to add the money you expect to win on future streets to the pot.
      so if you want to calculate it you have to make some sort of assumption of what you expect to win if you hit.