Hi all

• jhulmie
      jhulmie
      Bronze
      Hi all,

though I would pop my head up now that I am fully registered and have had my first $20 deposit successfully go through.

I have only been playing poker approx 1 month using Ladbrokes and sticking only to Micro cash tables. So far I am a few pence down but seem to be breaking even most of the time.

Stumbled across the forums here while looking for information regarding the poker tracking software packages. I have now registered with Party Poker so I am going to pop over and try my luck there also.

So far research wise I have read and am now re-reading a poker book by Paul Mendelson (forgotten the title right now) and have been scanning through the hand evaluation thread.

I am very interested in the tracker software and have been looking at freepokerdb to try and minimise my initial outlay. As for game types I am yet to try either SnG's or MTT's.

Just a small question - so far I have been splitting my time between 6 and 9 seater tables in cash games. My success rate in the 6 seater games appears to be slightly higher (although this could be make believe). I understand that with less seats you can play a wider range of hands successfully - should I therefore stick with only 6 seaters while I am getting to grips or concentrate on full 9 seater games?

Cheers.

J
  • 6 replies
    • kalychko
      kalychko
      Bronze
      Good luck on the tables man, and my simple advice is if u have the money, deposit sth like at least 600 $ and try MTT's. If u don't have that much try SnG's.

About the 9 and 6 seater tables. If u play SnG's my advice is stick to the 6 max, there are a lot more fishes. On the higher levels 9 man SnG's are full with regs and game is really tough.

When it comes to MTT's I love playing both 6 and 9 seaters :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey mate,

Really nice intro buddy. I also play on Microgaming, I think the software is amazing there, great to see you got your starting bankroll successfully!

As far as studying, I always find that videos are alot easier to consume, you can take a lot more information in and its also a lot eaiser to watch again, fast forward and rewind etc.

I'm not famliar with freepokerdb, but PokerStrategy are partners with Holdem Manager. I assume around 90% of winning players use a device such as Holdem Manager, I personally use it and its fantastic. If you decide to use it, let me know and I can help you navigate yourself around their and maximise all the tools. You also get a free trial.

As far as cash games go, generally 6 max cash games will be better, they will have the fish who want action. Fish don't want to wait for 3 extra people to fold, they want constant action meaning they are drawn to quicker 6max tables. Also obviously you play more hands per hour, so.. bad players + more hands = higher hourly rate :)

As you are learning the fundamentals of poker, I'd suggest staying away from MTT's and SNG's, they have a lot of variance and you play with a lot more shallower stack sizes meaning that you really struggle to play pretty hands such as 78s, and any cash game player knows folding 78s is almost as bad as your favourite football team losing.

Good luck on the tables mate
    • jhulmie
      jhulmie
      Bronze
      Hi Pleno/kalychko,

thanks for the advice guys

Pleno - I will head back to the 6 seater tables for the moment.

I got fpdb setup last night and imported a small number of hands from party poker and got the HUD up and running. I will probably give HoldEm manager a go too so I will most likely be in contact.

From what I have read so far the VPIP and PFR stats are useful after recording only 150+ hands, so I am concentrating on just trying to interpret these stats for my opponents at present.

After VPIP and PFR what would you recommend as the next most useful combination of stats to incorporate?

Cheers.

J
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

Great to hear.

I'd suggest putting cbet and fold to cbet, this means if the board comes down k89 and we see he has low fold to cbet we dont need to bluff AQ. And we can also fold hands like 78 on a72 if his cbet is super small.

Makes sense?
    • jhulmie
      jhulmie
      Bronze
      Ok not too sure if I understand this one.

Low Fold to CBet percentage means he is likely going to call any follow up bet I make?

In the 2nd example where you indicate folding as the villain's CBet percentage is low - this is because if he does make a follow up bet he is likely to have a strong hand and blow our 78s out of the water?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Yes exactly.

If he has a low cbet % then it means that he only cbets when he has a hand and doesn't bluff, so we can just fold out medium strength hands.

When he has a low fold to cbet it means he likes to "float" i.e see a turn card with no hand or alternatively just not fold at all.