This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

tips to playing pocket tens?

• tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Damn how i hate TT.. It's my most unprofitable hand. A bad beat 10 minutes ago has absolutely made me crazy (losing to a 60% VPIP player who shoved JQ and I had 72% equity on flop. He got lucky with the turn card which made straight for him)
      Is this hand supposed to be profitable (I'm new to preflop equity etc). How do I play them? fold to any 3bet most of the time? what if the 3 better has a wide PFR range?

Now when I see pocket tens i feel like i'm destined to lose the hand :(

additional info: I won 35.7% of my 14 TT hands
  • 2 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I actually really like tens. I have 2.37bb/hand with 77.83% win rate over 203 samples which is still small as a sample. 35.7% seems super low, but your sample is so small that it just seems like you're running bad a few times with tens, and should even out over time.

The good thing about tens is they are really flexible as a hand. They can be used as a set-mining hand against a super tight player or as a legitimate 3betting hand against a very aggressive player.

I would suggest folding to a 3bet almost all the time with tens, of course with adjustments made for 3bet monkeys, then you can call but in general it's not a hand you wanna be playing a 3bet pot with when there's such a high chance of overcards. It's not about the players PFR range, its about their 3bet range. Some players have a very high PFR but will only 3bet with a range that crushes tens.

I'd say without a doubt TT should be a profitable hand. The main problem would be that you seem to wanna call 3bets with it, which is not ideal.
    • handsomeover
      handsomeover
      Basic
      Like metza said TT can be played very profitable