SSS and Blind Losses..

• midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      I've noticed that I lose a TON of money in my blinds. The amount that I've lost in the BB is enough to counterbalance all of my total winnings alone. (Not including my SB losses, which are almost 2x as big as my BB losses).

But anyway, is this normal for a SSS player? I tried reading the article on "Steals and Resteals," but it made no sense to me whatsoever. :(

That's just a sample from the last couple of days though. Over my entire poker period, I've lost $170 to the blinds..

Normal?
  • 9 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey midgetjay,

Yes, it absolutely normal. On higher limits, you have to implement steal/resteal strategy to cover your blind losses. On NL 10 its not necessary, however.
      You are still getting enough value from your strong hands.
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by midgetjay
      I tried reading the article on "Steals and Resteals," but it made no sense to me whatsoever. :(
      Is it really that bad? In what way? Too many mistakes? Too "German"?

I haven't read it myself yet, so I can't tell. All I know is that it isn't one of those articles I've already revamped, and it isn't on my To Do list either. I guess I'll take a look at it and see what can be done about it. :)
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      @ Drakhor:
      Naw, the grammar and sentence structure is fine. I can comprehend what they're saying in the paragraphs; it's the tables and stuff that I don't understand. I've tried reading the article three times now, but I'm just completely clueless on what the tables mean. Hmm, I'll try to look at them again.

@ xylere:
      Ok, good to know I'm getting enough value. Irritates me that I'm still down b/c of the blinds though. It's nothing to worry about, so I'll get over it!
    • phatmike
      phatmike
      Bronze
      I've been rather succesful with the SSS strategy, until a few hours ago, I lost alot and, all-in's on flop and some pre-flop with the strongest hand lost about 80% on some sick hits on turn and river.

I was climbing steady until the streak of bad luck suddenly hit me like a hammer, tried to regain what I lost in heads-up, all in one a straight on flop, he hit higher on with turn and river. I swear, some crazy voodoo sh**.

Now it's back to almost nothing, going sit n go's now until I reach a higher blind level where people don't guess cards as much.

EDIT: I've never gone tilt before, until today.
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      I've read the article, and besides the mistakes, it's really tough to swallow. The German article had lots of comments asking for an easier explanation, so it could be that there will be a new version anytime soon. If so, I'll make it my top priority to revamp it as well. :)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Drakhor
      I've read the article, and besides the mistakes, it's really tough to swallow. The German article had lots of comments asking for an easier explanation, so it could be that there will be a new version anytime soon. If so, I'll make it my top priority to revamp it as well. :)
      do the light preflop 3-bets one first please :D (i see it's already started)
    • Leo
      Leo
      Bronze
      Thats already done ;)
      Just being reread now afaik.
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Not by me, so I guess I'll soon get an "official" proofread assignment. ;P
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Drakhor
      Originally posted by midgetjay
      I tried reading the article on "Steals and Resteals," but it made no sense to me whatsoever. :(
      Is it really that bad? In what way? Too many mistakes? Too "German"?

I haven't read it myself yet, so I can't tell. All I know is that it isn't one of those articles I've already revamped, and it isn't on my To Do list either. I guess I'll take a look at it and see what can be done about it. :)
      It's definately not intuitive to read for a beginner. I personally found it well.. not entertaining to read. I found the sections on blindsteals and steal-raises in the SNG tournament section much easier to digest (even though I'm not a SNG player at the moment, I tend to like to read anything I can get my hands on)

for the OP, those articles are here, in case you find them easier to digest:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/610/
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/611/