MP: $11.19 - VPIP: 24, PFR: 13, 3B: 5, AF: 11,0, Hands: 68
      CO: $10.63 - VPIP: 33, PFR: 17, 3B: 8, AF: 1,3, Hands: 42
      BTN: $6.00 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 4, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 23
      SB: $17.61 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 11, 3B: 25, AF: 4,0, Hands: 19
      BB: $10.00 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 20, 3B: 5, AF: 11,0, Hands: 348
      Hero (UTG): $10.30 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,6, Hands: 56532

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with J :spade: A :diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, SB calls $0.35, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.90) 6 :spade: Q :heart: 5 :club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.45, SB calls $0.45

Turn: ($1.80) A :club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.80) T :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.50, Hero folds

I am not sure this makes sense. It looks weak but I guess that villain most often calls with made hands on this flop and if I bet the turn I just force all the weaker hands out. And his large river bet makes me very suspicious. Looks like AQ. I mean, what calls the flop and bets the river this big?

Yeah, opponent is sort of an unknown but still.
  • 7 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I would have b/f turn 1.3$ and then take my free showdown. If you´re checking back you would induce bets hands that has no showdown value, like 87s or maybe 88/99- that´s why I would don´t really like checking back turn and then folding to big bet. Although I agree you also often see AQ or 55/66

best regards,
      Bronze
      Veriz, what is your evaluation of this spot?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

There ain't many worse hands which Call you on the turn if you Bet it. There ain't really tons of draws in his range, especially if he plays tight. Therefore I don't mind Checking behind to get value from Qx hand. Though you would 2nd barrel with bluffs on the turn so you could still do it also with your Ax hand.

If we Check behind then you are very often putting yourself into a spot where you actually turning your hand into bluff-catcher which means we should be also planning to Call the river. Although if we can do vs such a sizing? But assuming that he also bets even with bluffs this way then we should consider doing that as long we turned our hand into bluff-catcher. He may even sometimes turn some weaker PPs/pairs in to bluff there this way.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      I think that, as played, folding the river should be fine since villain is unlikely to bet Qx like that unless it's a 2pair, and I don't think that we can assume that villain is turning JJ or 99 into a bluff unless we have a read. After all he is up against a UTG range which can very easily call. His flop calling range also is mostly made hands. So I have a difficulty finding a call vs that bet size. If it was smaller – sure. He can still have Qx or even a weaker Ax hand that floated the flop and then hit on the turn.

If we assume that villain has mostly made hands in his flop calling range, does it make sense to check behind the turn? For pot control reasons yes, but we can't really expect villain to bluff all that much. So we basically check behind and can get in spots like this one. Maybe for that reason betting is indeed better?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I think that, as played, folding the river should be fine since villain is unlikely to bet Qx like that unless it's a 2pair, and I don't think that we can assume that villain is turning JJ or 99 into a bluff unless we have a read. After all he is up against a UTG range which can very easily call. His flop calling range also is mostly made hands. So I have a difficulty finding a call vs that bet size. If it was smaller – sure. He can still have Qx or even a weaker Ax hand that floated the flop and then hit on the turn.

If we assume that villain has mostly made hands in his flop calling range, does it make sense to check behind the turn? For pot control reasons yes, but we can't really expect villain to bluff all that much. So we basically check behind and can get in spots like this one. Maybe for that reason betting is indeed better?
      Well, with his JJ/99 or whatsoever he doesn't win any hand with Checking cause you are quite obviously at leas on a Qx which may still fold vs his Bet, so I totally disagree on him not turning into bluff them.

As said, yes we can Check behind, although then I wouldn't that often willing to lay down the river either just cause he bets a bit bigger there which makes his range rather narrow. He just can't Bet smaller cause then you could down him with Qx.
      Bronze
      I just am not too sure many people turn their made hands that sometimes even have showdown value into bluffs on NL10. I have not really seen it all that often. Maybe something like 99 or 88 in this spot (not sure if he even is calling 88/99, let alone worse PPs, on flop vs a UTG openraise range cBet) but not JJ. Of course, that is definitely a possibility on higher limits, but unless you specifically assure me now, that my current observations regarding this aspect on the micro limits are not correct I would then even prefer betting the turn for value+free showdown vs Qx or JJ/TT.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I just am not too sure many people turn their made hands that sometimes even have showdown value into bluffs on NL10. I have not really seen it all that often. Maybe something like 99 or 88 in this spot (not sure if he even is calling 88/99, let alone worse PPs, on flop vs a UTG openraise range cBet) but not JJ. Of course, that is definitely a possibility on higher limits, but unless you specifically assure me now, that my current observations regarding this aspect on the micro limits are not correct I would then even prefer betting the turn for value+free showdown vs Qx or JJ/TT.
      Yeah sure, if you assume that to be true then just fold. Folding is never wrong, rather is loose calling the mistake what more often is done.