Best software to practice mtt's

• adamrothwell
      adamrothwell
      Bronze
      Is there any free software that is good for practising for mtt's ? I know pokerstars have freerolls but are there any other programs, I head of poker academy pro. Any suggestions? thanks
  • 7 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey adamrothwell!

Our very own ICM-trainer is a good tool to practice for MTT's. ICM-trainer

Also take a look in our software section for more tools.

We also have articles, coachings, video's that will help you with your game.

I see your only basic right now? If you pass our quiz and/or play at one of our partner rooms, you will receive strategy points. The more SP you get, the higher your status will be and the more material there will be available for you!

Regards
      RasTweet
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      You can play the playmoney MTTs on most skins :)

Hard to find software that does this. Most free stuff only has 9 man SNGs.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      yeh unfortunately the only thing thats gonna get you even close to experiencing the real thing for free is a freeroll so keep getting the volume in with freerolls and study your game and you will soon be shipping them :)
    • adamrothwell
      adamrothwell
      Bronze
      Thank you for your responses. So basically the ICM TRAINER helps you learn in which situations you should fold or push your cards?. I'm guessing that it calculates the strenth of the cards you have been dealt and the chance of potential outs appearing and the likely cards an opponent might play in the position they are in / stack size etc?.

Is it worth me playing the $0.10 , $0.50 and $1 nl holdem tournaments for practice?. I'm not really sure how to go about practising properly and how to see what I'm doing wrong / need to change.

I have Harrington's 3 books on tournament strategy which i'm gradually reading through.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Put simply, yes it is worth it.

If you can afford it then i would recommend to anyone to deposit whatever you can comfortably afford and then play with good bankroll management so if you lose a few games its not gonna affect you mentally. What you need to understand first of all is that MTTs are a high varaince game and the swings can be super nasty its possible you can go 100+ games without a notable cash.

The only way to get a real feel for the tournaments is to jump straight in with real money games and study really hard on your own game. To be honest, I'm not sure how much you can learn from playing the $.10 games i imagine people just shove any 2 for most of the game.

If tournament play is what you enjoy most then go for it, don't look back and remember us when you are shipping the main event :) but make sure your mindset is good and you can handle the swings.

ICM is the independent chip model and is introduced in one of our strategy articles as this, "ICM stands for independent chip model and describes a model for giving monetary values to chip stacks during tournaments, that is, to calculate the $EV from the EV. The money value of your own stack ($EV) is dependent on the stack ratios of the other players"

Is the account you plan to play on tracked via PokerStrategy.com? If so you will start earning Strategy Points as soon as you start playing real money games and once you reach silver status you will be able to access that article which you can find here:

ICM strategy article

Good luck my friend let us know when you start playing and if you need anymore help,

Carl
    • adamrothwell
      adamrothwell
      Bronze
      Ok thanks for that advice. I am starting playing $2 tournaments, would that be better than the 0.10, 0.50 limits. I'm bankrolled to play the $2 limits or should I stick to 0.50 until I get more experience.

I already have a pokerstars account so don't think I can link it?.

I've been using a trial version of HEM2 is it best after a tournament to look at the hands where you lose / win the most money and see where you could have played differently?. What other stats should I be looking at as a beginner?

thanks a lot :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I think it's fine to start at $2 games if you are rolled for them or if you can afford to deposit again if you bust, i don't think you will gain that much from grinding the .50c games that you wont get from the $2

Yeh hands you win a lot or lose a lot of chips have a look at them again and post them in the hand evaluation section if you are unsure about how you played. As for other stats im not sure with MTTs i guess use your HUD to your advantage and see how others are playing, are they folding a high % to 3bets are they folding their blinds to steals etc all these little things that help you gain extra chips as you advance through the tournament, of course all these stats won't be of a HUGE amount of use until you start to get a decent sample size of hands on your opponents :)