Gamble with AK Pre Bubble !!!????

• thesundancekid
      thesundancekid
      Bronze
      Hey guys lets me know your thoughts on this AK

Anna Kournikova ( nice to look at but never reallys wins much )

Lets me just start by saying of course AK is a gr8 hand it beats so many hands aq,aj,qk etc.......

I call flips alot with it after I put Villian on a hand.,

BUT, couple weeks ago I was playing the Sunday Mega 80k..

i have lost the hand history guy so bare with me...

blinds were 1000/2000(200)

It was around 8 left till ITM.. bubble was at 71....

I was sitting around 27th with a stack of 75k..
      I get dealt AKos utg+1., I open to 4600..
      MP1 , push's 33k , every 1 else folds...

(MP1 player is SOLID with good stats, and I put him on 99+ so I know its a flip!!!!

I call and lose to JJ...

Im left with 37k...

my point is I made it ITM, but I struggled to get my stack back and when I think about that situation I cant help but think should I of folded that AK, coz once the bubble burst i'm still sitting pretty with more chips ..

????
      what do you think , how would you have played it ??
  • 8 replies
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      i think the fact that hes a solid player and your opening from early position hes gunna have a decent hand, but his range is still gunna be like 99+, AQo+, and you getting mega good odds to call, plus if your playing for the win you cant fold there, standard and nh, just got unlucky

If MP1 had me covered and 3 bet me in that spot id fold, i wouldnt go broke for like 30BB+ in that spot, but for 15BB pretty standard
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      You know you're running bad when AKs doesn't beat pocket deuces and you know you're running good when your deuces hold up against AKs.
    • DrKillByDeath187
      DrKillByDeath187
      Bronze
      If this is a satellite then I think you just fold into the money here right especially if you put him on 99, am I wrong? ?(
    • thesundancekid
      thesundancekid
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply guys,

Aye castle I think your spot on there m8, I was getting the correct odd's to call

and if the stacks were reversed and he 3bet me I would prob..

any tournament you have to win a few flips to win it..

Its a personal goal of mine to take down a big event or least final table one.

I have had a few deep runs in some Sunday events and also had 2 or 3 deep runs in some SCOOP'S and I lose a crutial flip when it has to count..

Poker is a skill game !!! FACT!! BUT....

Any 1 that has won a big tournament or any tournament has had to have got lucky in a flip or 2 along the way.. but all you can do is evaluate the situation and get your cards in good and pray lol :s_cool:
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thesundancekid
      and if the stacks were reversed and he 3bet me I would prob..
      Nah if they were reserved you have even less reason to fold, I mean if you still had 75k and mp1 had like 100k for example and had you covered, then I'd fold
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I'll move this to the MTT stragegy section.

There is another thread How to play as the bubble approaches that discusses folding your way into the money.

I think that the point is you are risk averse at this point in the tournament, but in this situation your tournament is NOT at risk since you cover villain, and the potential reward is high.

I would be interested looking at this further.
      I think that villain made a mistake here, since 99 is behind a UTG open-raising range.
    • thesundancekid
      thesundancekid
      Bronze
      aye thats what i meant lol

poker is like the wife 1 min you love her next u fkn hate the bitch :s_cool:
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      The hand was well played and absolutely standard. A fold would be a big mistake in this situation. You get the odds and will most likely have the best hand (or at least a flip). There is no money in folding +EV spots...

Regards,
      Asaban