Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 1870676
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $8.91 - VPIP: 36, PFR: 7, 3B: 0, AF: 2,0, Hands: 28
      BB: $12.17 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 16, 3B: 8, AF: 0,7, Hands: 43
      Hero (CO): $10.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,6, Hands: 57711
      BTN: $13.89 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 19, 3B: 0, AF: 1,0, Hands: 27

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with 8 :spade: 7 :spade:
      Hero raises to $0.30, 1 fold, SB calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.70) 2 :club: 3 :spade: 7 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero raises to $1.20, SB calls $0.90

Turn: ($3.10) Q :spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

River: ($4.50) Q :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.70, Hero folds

I think my play is fine, but would a call on the flop not be a superior option? By raising we protect from overcards but it's not that we are getting called by a whole lot worse there.

And I could have raised a bit smaller as well. ~0.90$–1.00$
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

I don't get it, you are raising the flop for value but though you ain't calling the river down for the given odds? What's the purpose of raising then on the flop?

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      I thought it makes sense to raise on the flop because villain can have weaker pairs, overcards and I pretty much want to get value from pairs and protect vs overcards (he is not calling with overcards only vs my raise, IMO) and it should be fine, I mean, why not? I can, of course call as well.

Does the situation not change on the turn where he obviously indicates that he has got some sort of a made hand that fears a check behind on the turn? VS most of his made hands I am very far behind so I am continuing with my hand as a draw. I think I would need quite a specific read to believe that I can still have him beat on the river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I thought it makes sense to raise on the flop because villain can have weaker pairs, overcards and I pretty much want to get value from pairs and protect vs overcards (he is not calling with overcards only vs my raise, IMO) and it should be fine, I mean, why not? I can, of course call as well.

Does the situation not change on the turn where he obviously indicates that he has got some sort of a made hand that fears a check behind on the turn? VS most of his made hands I am very far behind so I am continuing with my hand as a draw. I think I would need quite a specific read to believe that I can still have him beat on the river.
      Well, then it also means that we are assuming that we are very often ahead and that's also what I'd take into account and never would fold for the given odds, he guy could easily even have just 55/66 or whatsoever maybe even worse. :D
      Bronze
      I suppose that for the given odds (wouldn't really call a much bigger bet ever though) a call should indeed be fine.

However, doesn't villain's range change on the turn once he donk bets? I.e., we can assign him one range for dB/calling flop but once he donkbets turn out of a sudden I think we have to reevaluate his possible range and I would say, that in most cases we would have to narrow it down because I really think that people dB/c flop and check turn with a different range than they dB/c flop and dB turn.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I suppose that for the given odds (wouldn't really call a much bigger bet ever though) a call should indeed be fine.

However, doesn't villain's range change on the turn once he donk bets? I.e., we can assign him one range for dB/calling flop but once he donkbets turn out of a sudden I think we have to reevaluate his possible range and I would say, that in most cases we would have to narrow it down because I really think that people dB/c flop and check turn with a different range than they dB/c flop and dB turn.
      Rather say that his range is weak there, maybe even just a GS with A5, which also block-bets the river. :D