[NL2-NL10] Nl2 Aq

• DarkBlade282
      DarkBlade282
      Bronze
      I have played 7k hands since I switched back to cash games with a winrate of 11.4bb/100. Surprisingly, I have lost the most with AQ (320bb in 71hands), so there should be a leak somewhere. First of all, I have the question - to 3bet or not to 3bet preflop? Currently I'm 3betting it preflop, but I think I get called or 4bet too often. Should I just call to keep hands I dominate in? Below is a hand I lost 30bb in (there are many hands similar to this one)

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $2.27
      UTG2:
      $2.17
      MP1:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $2.11
      CO:
      $2.33
      BU:
      $2.05
      SB (Hero):
      $2.03
      BB:
      $1.92

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, A.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.08, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.24, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.5) K, 9, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.36, MP2 raises to $1.76(All-In), Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.86.
  • 4 replies
    • gusti1985
      gusti1985
      Bronze
      Hey!
      With AQ isn't the question wheter 3bet or call, but you have to ask your self do you wanna 3bet or fold. In poker you tend to play with initiative and in position. If you call a raise from SB you have neither.

I recomend that you read articles:
      - before flop
      - after flop
      - After the Flop - You Have Initiative
      - After the Flop: An Opponent Has Initiative

Decisions wich you will have to make in the future will be a lot easier if you know the stuff in these articles.

I hope I helped and sory for my bad english.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DarkBlade282,

Preflop: 3betting of course is fine if you don't feel that well with your hand, though it ain't always a must. For beginners it might be easier to play the hand if you take the initiative on you or might make him fold right preflop.
      Postflop: Though I don't get your point of CBetting the flop, it rather his a lot cause he will have a lot of those Kx hands as AK/KQ or whatsoever, so CBetting doesn't even make sense. Rather give it up. It also costs you too much.

Best Regards.
    • DarkBlade282
      DarkBlade282
      Bronze
      Thank you for the reply. From what I have observed, raise/call 3bet is usually TT, JJ, AK. I cbet because I thought I could make TT and JJ fold. What boards would you then recommend to cbet, if I get called? Dry boards with no A or K? Low boards?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by DarkBlade282
      Thank you for the reply. From what I have observed, raise/call 3bet is usually TT, JJ, AK. I cbet because I thought I could make TT and JJ fold. What boards would you then recommend to cbet, if I get called? Dry boards with no A or K? Low boards?
      I'd rather recommend CBetting mainly for value if at all, cause you rarely making PPs on dry board to fold anyways.