This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 33 set

• Knyght
      Knyght
      Bronze
      Party, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players

BB: $2.25 (112.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2.37 (118.5 bb)
      MP1: $2.59 (129.5 bb)
      MP3: $1.29 (64.5 bb)
      MP2: $1.94 (97 bb)
      BTN: $1.12 (56 bb)
      CO: $2 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3 3
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.18) 5 8 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, MP2 raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.28

Turn: ($0.98) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.94, Hero folds

Results:
      $0.98 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: 5 8 3 2
      Hero mucked 3 3 and lost (-$0.48 net)
      MP2 mucked and won $0.94 ($0.46 net)

Not many hands on villain. Limped quite a bit, seemed loose and passive.

Anyway I hit the set on the flop and bet for value. The monotone flop is a bit annoying. I call the reraise on the flop, primarily to see what he does on the turn. I wonder if, seeing as he seemed relatively passive, that it might have been better to give up the hand here?

With the fourth spade on the turn I figure it's good to check here, and see what the villain does. I'm not sure I want to be double barrelling against an opponent that is usually passive but is showing a lot of strength. I think it's pretty unlikely he has anything other than a good flush here, but should I have still bet the turn here anyway?
  • 5 replies
    • Friedric
      Friedric
      Bronze
      Did you really think about giving up a set on flop? :P flop is drawy, no need to call, 3bet him and go for stacks, you have some equity against flush, but he can have worse hands as well
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      imo you cannot call the flop only to give up on the turn. i dont think its a good enough reason either, just to see what he does. in this spot you need to think about getting it in against overcards with a :spade: that want some action or something. i think raising is the best option - this way you get it in with likely the best hand. calling is a really bad option because you let him set his own price to see a turn card. you want to make his decisions tough, so make him pay! and obviously you can never fold a set on the flop without a soul read. can't just put people on the nuts :) but by calling then you put yourself in the spot where you have to give it up.

so yeah in summary - bet/get it in on the flop because it is a super ugly board.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      standard play for nl2 is to ship the flop.

the assumption is that he has enough of overpairs/twopairs/random pair+one hands and you have some okay equity against a flush. against relatively unknown fishy player you have to ship it and start figuring it out
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Yes, you go AI w flop or fold.

Your opponent just calling pre-flop makes his hand to look like Ax :spade: :spade: , or 55, 88, maybe 99-JJ. So you are likely to be behind his range, so folding isn't that bad of an option there. Just seek for more profitable situations.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Knyght,

CB the flop bigger and then 3bet it and get it in. No way I am planning to fold it, we need to protect our hand and get value from worse which he definitely will have.

Best Regards.