BB: $2.25 (112.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2.37 (118.5 bb)
      MP1: $2.59 (129.5 bb)
      MP3: $1.29 (64.5 bb)
      MP2: $1.94 (97 bb)
      BTN: $1.12 (56 bb)
      CO: $2 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3 3
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.18) 5 8 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, MP2 raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.28

Turn: ($0.98) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.94, Hero folds

$0.98 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: 5 8 3 2
      Hero mucked 3 3 and lost (-$0.48 net)
      MP2 mucked and won $0.94 ($0.46 net)

Not many hands on villain. Limped quite a bit, seemed loose and passive.

Anyway I hit the set on the flop and bet for value. The monotone flop is a bit annoying. I call the reraise on the flop, primarily to see what he does on the turn. I wonder if, seeing as he seemed relatively passive, that it might have been better to give up the hand here?

With the fourth spade on the turn I figure it's good to check here, and see what the villain does. I'm not sure I want to be double barrelling against an opponent that is usually passive but is showing a lot of strength. I think it's pretty unlikely he has anything other than a good flush here, but should I have still bet the turn here anyway?
  • 5 replies
    • Friedric
      Did you really think about giving up a set on flop? :P flop is drawy, no need to call, 3bet him and go for stacks, you have some equity against flush, but he can have worse hands as well
    • DrDunne
      imo you cannot call the flop only to give up on the turn. i dont think its a good enough reason either, just to see what he does. in this spot you need to think about getting it in against overcards with a :spade: that want some action or something. i think raising is the best option - this way you get it in with likely the best hand. calling is a really bad option because you let him set his own price to see a turn card. you want to make his decisions tough, so make him pay! and obviously you can never fold a set on the flop without a soul read. can't just put people on the nuts :) but by calling then you put yourself in the spot where you have to give it up.

so yeah in summary - bet/get it in on the flop because it is a super ugly board.
    • Tomaloc
      standard play for nl2 is to ship the flop.

the assumption is that he has enough of overpairs/twopairs/random pair+one hands and you have some okay equity against a flush. against relatively unknown fishy player you have to ship it and start figuring it out
    • CPallo
      Yes, you go AI w flop or fold.

Your opponent just calling pre-flop makes his hand to look like Ax :spade: :spade: , or 55, 88, maybe 99-JJ. So you are likely to be behind his range, so folding isn't that bad of an option there. Just seek for more profitable situations.
    • veriz
      Hello Knyght,

CB the flop bigger and then 3bet it and get it in. No way I am planning to fold it, we need to protect our hand and get value from worse which he definitely will have.

Best Regards.