What monitor to buy?

• Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      Hi all.
      I just bought a new computer and would like to have your opinion about what size monitor to buy to be able to tile 6-9 tables.
      Also I have a choice between Samsung and LG monitors. Which one would you prefer and why?
      Thanks.
  • 11 replies
    • MrS212i
      MrS212i
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Phoenix2104
      Hi all.
      I just bought a new computer and would like to have your opinion about what size monitor to buy to be able to tile 6-9 tables.
      Also I have a choice between Samsung and LG monitors. Which one would you prefer and why?
      Thanks.
      I think any screen can get at least 6 tables tiled on it.
      So you are looking for something slightly larger then.
      If I'm correct, a 19.5" monitor will allow 9 tables tiled.
      I have a 23.5" lg monitor and can fit 12tables tiled on it.
      Imo samsung and lg monitors are the same, go for the cheaper option.

Good luck
    • ferdy81
      ferdy81
      Bronze
      I recently had the same problem and I spent over one month looking around all the reviews and articles, what would fit my needs best. I wanted:

- 16:9 widescreen format
      - 23" or more (very easy to 12 table)
      - ISP panel

Firstly, I really recommend to go for professional ISP panel over the TN panel. Quite priced down in lately. This is not a must at all, but check the prices and some reviews if it fits your budget.

I decided for the U2312HM monitor. Got it for around 170€ in Slovenia. A great price/performance product and very happy with it.

BR,Toni
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I've moved this to the relevant board!

Ingrid
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Most of the monitors are 1920x1080, there are also 1920x1200, but they are rarer, but you will get more screenspace with it so more room for tables that don't overlap.
      The best thing to do is just find where you are going to order from and then look what they offer, if there are options you want then just google for reviews. We could give you models all day long, but if you have to order them from somewhere far you will just blow money on shipping that could be used to buy a better monitor that's near you,
    • sileekhunt
      sileekhunt
      Bronze
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-U2412M-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B005LNDPPS/ref=de_a_smtd

^ this one had excellent reviews & supports (a preferred resolution for fitting 12 tables nicely)

I might get one myself
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Phoenix2104
      Hi all.
      Thanks.
      The bigger the better.
      I have two Samsung SyncMaster E2220s, several years old now.
      I love them, but I did not buy them after careful study. I got a great deal on them. I have not seen an LG monitor in real life. What models are you contemplating?

Look for a number that says "native resolution" -- or similar.
      When your display settings match this resolution, each physical pixel of the monitor exactly matches the logical pixels from your display hardware. Thus the picture is as good as it can be.

Get the highest contrast ratio that they have. Pictures are sharpest, and have the widest range of darks to lights.

Refresh rate is less important to a poker player than to a gamer, but the faster the screen can refresh, the more pleasant your experience will be.

Ideally, you should see both side-by-side, but if you are buying on line you'll have to go by the numbers.
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      im looking at getting a monitor to connect to my laptop but im thinking I might just use my 22" LCD tv to save money as I dont watch tv on it anymore

will this be ok?
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maloco87
      im looking at getting a monitor to connect to my laptop but im thinking I might just use my 22" LCD tv to save money as I dont watch tv on it anymore

will this be ok?
      What resolution is it?

Because it's a TV it will have a small resolution, so if you sit too close it will just be minecraft.
      It might end up that the TV resolution will be smaller than the laptop's, so you probably will not be able to fit too many tables on there so it might be better to just overlap tables on laptop so you don't have to turn your head for 2 or 3 more extra tables. But all of this varies depending on your table, it might be good for 4 tables which for me would be ok
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      I run a couple monitors. One's a dell, the other Asus. The 24inch dell does 1920x1200 and I really love that resolution size. They're not super expensive models either. Graphically speaking the poker table isn't high end so I didn't see the need.

Personally I've always liked the LG models.

Happy hunting:)
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis
      Originally posted by Maloco87

will this be ok?
      What resolution is it?

Because it's a TV it will have a small resolution, so if you sit too close it will just be minecraft.
      It might end up that the TV resolution will be smaller than the laptop's, so you probably will not be able to fit too many tables on there so it might be better to just overlap tables on laptop so you don't have to turn your head for 2 or 3 more extra tables. But all of this varies depending on your table, it might be good for 4 tables which for me would be ok
      im almost sure its a 1080
    • Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      Thanks for replying everybody, that's very useful info!