Change of the free bankroll for new PokerStrategy.com members

• IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hey everyone,

Change of the free bankroll for new PokerStrategy.com members

The free bankroll program has been a staple of PokerStrategy.com since its inception in 2006. Through the years, we’ve been able to fund over 1 million new poker players with free money,introducing them to the wonderful game of poker and allowing them to begin their journey towards reaching their poker goals.

The free bankroll program at PokerStrategy.com has allowed many of our most successful members to start their poker careers, and assisted us in our mission and promise to spread the popularity of poker in a positive manner.

As new poker players are introduced to the game, but have yet to sit at a table, many end up with second thoughts:

“Am I good enough to risk my own money?"
      "Can I trust these poker rooms with my payment data and hard earned cash?"

And even if they are willing to put their own money on the line, online payments are still unfamiliar and uncomfortable for many people. As long as there was that doubt, they would never have the confidence to leap into online poker.

PokerStrategy.com, and our free bankroll programme, gave these people that confidence.

Users could now play real money poker without risking their own money. They could play real money poker without giving away their payment data.

And most importantly, they could learn to love poker.

Why introduce change?

Although the PokerStrategy.com free bankroll programme has been wildly popular, we’ve always disliked one element.

A lot of users who received the free bankroll wasted the opportunity with frivolous play or used this as a chance to commit fraud. As a result, we had to implement stricter and stricter security checks, ultimately resulting in a lot of honest people failing to receive a free bankroll.

Obviously, not everyone is going to pass our poker quiz. But when it became required to process identity checks, and further burden our legitimate users, we knew that it would become harder for PokerStrategy.com to truly spread the joys of playing poker.

For many of our honest users, some simply didn’t want to submit to identity check. For other users, they become stuck in limbo as our fraud teams processed the queue of user requests.

But for all of them, it was a hassle.

Here at PokerStrategy.com, we created many of the best first experiences with online poker. But we also create some bad ones, and that's what we don't like.

The new free bankroll

The idea is simple:

1. Optimize the amount of money needed to properly fund poker accounts.
      2. Give the free bankroll to many, many more players.

Through the last 12-months, we have tried a multitude of different funding methods and amounts, and via that process have found what we believe is the optimal free bankroll amount -- $10.

Spending this amount will allow us to discourage the amount of attempted fraud, resulting in less money lost as a result of dishonest users.

Because of this, we can start to implement more customer-friendly security checks. This means more users will receive a free bankroll from PokerStrategy.com.

Moving forward, a typical free bankroll might look like this:
      • initial amount of $10 for free
      • limited to beginner stakes / limits
      • cashout restricted
      • if you follow up with a deposit, you get a good bonus

Depending on the poker rooms, the offer might still vary - as it did in the past.

What's the downside?

Obviously, a smaller free bankroll makes building a substantial bankroll slightly more difficult. Poker isn't easy, and even if you're a good player, sometimes variance is unavoidable.

But poker is a beautiful game of skill, and as such, doesn't require a player to solely rely on the size of his stack. While overall the lower amount will make it a bit more difficult for the most talented players, we are confident that through the support of our strategy guides, coachings, and community, the strong players will certainly still make it.

At the very least, we know that a player will have gathered enough real money poker experience to make a conscious decision on whether to continue with their own deposit or not.

But most importantly, we are confident that we can reach our ultimate goal - teach people to love poker.

What's the upside?

It’s simple - we're able to give the free bankroll to many, many more players.

This is better for many reasons:
      • better experience for new PokerStrategy.com members
      • higher conversion rates, and thus more money earned, for Tell-A-Friend
      • providing a higher share of our members with access to real money poker – for free!

And since we can bring more poker players to the game, that means:
      • our community can grow
      • more people see poker as a strategy game rather than gambling
      • more people can develop a love for poker, helping every professional who makes a living from poker

Overall, we are extremely confident that this change is a good one. It’s directly in line with PokerStrategy.com goals and what we strive to accomplish - show as many people as possible how great the game of poker is.

Looking forward to your feedback.
      Ingrid
  • 35 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i can understand that.
      but $10... seems a bit too little for someone as me who pretty much started from NL2 ;( (actually i moved around fl and sng land but for no solid reason)

i mean, two coolers or even mistakes and you're down to BSS 3bi which is really painful, specially if you just read something about bankroll management. then you kinda have to move to fixed limit or very low tournaments or something which maybe could not be what you wanted to...

$15 seems like a more "comfortable" amount imo. actually i think it's a pretty huge difference :f_eek:
      or are you just going to promote MSS a ton?

i don't really care about TAF but thought i'd share my view as someone who built up a reasonable roll from just a starting capital.
    • DarthVader666
      DarthVader666
      Bronze
      "• higher conversion rates, and thus more money earned, for Tell-A-Friend"

As one of your top Taffers I must say that I totally disagree with this change!!!

1rst - $10 bankroll along with quiz???? Do you guys now that your competitors offer much more then that without all that kind of complications???Why will people bother to ask for a bankroll on PokerStrategy?

2nd-Number of players will decrease on PokerStrategy and not increase as conversion rates!

3rd - If you change the bankroll to $10 1/5 of what it Used to be the number of points for a taffer to be paid which is now 100 sp should also be 100 * 1/5=20sp! You won't expect many players to make 100 points with $50 as they make the same with $10!

4th back in December when you changed the taff structure you told us that things would improve well that hasn't happened it just got worst much less earnings!Now with this it will get worse!

5th-When you make changes you should consult also the people who bring traffic to Pokerstrategy and ask them what they think!

Seriously If you don't change Taff before making these changes I will make a strike on bringing players to Pokerstrategy!!! Or even considering if I will bring more players here from my website cause I gotta be hones if this happens this way and things decrease your competitors will have better conversion rates for webmasters and I will be forced to stop promoting PokerStrategy! Cause you know business is business!!! :club:
    • Azrael128
      Azrael128
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DarthVader666
      "• higher conversion rates, and thus more money earned, for Tell-A-Friend"

As one of your top Taffers I must say that I totally disagree with this change!!!

1rst - $10 bankroll along with quiz???? Do you guys now that your competitors offer much more then that without all that kind of complications???Why will people bother to ask for a bankroll on PokerStrategy?

2nd-Number of players will decrease on PokerStrategy and not increase as conversion rates!

3rd - If you change the bankroll to $10 1/5 of what it Used to be the number of points for a taffer to be paid which is now 100 sp should also be 100 * 1/5=20sp! You won't expect many players to make 100 points with $50 as they make the same with $10!

4th back in December when you changed the taff structure you told us that things would improve well that hasn't happened it just got worst much less earnings!Now with this it will get worse!

5th-When you make changes you should consult also the people who bring traffic to Pokerstrategy and ask them what they think!

Seriously If you don't change Taff before making these changes I will make a strike on bringing players to Pokerstrategy!!! Or even considering if I will bring more players here from my website cause I gotta be hones if this happens this way and things decrease your competitors will have better conversion rates for webmasters and I will be forced to stop promoting PokerStrategy! Cause you know business is business!!! :club:

This.

We're having the same discussion in the french community. And the main TAFers came to the same conclusion.

Personally, if no change is done to the TaF program while this 10$ move is really done, then I'm done with PokerStrategy's TaF. There are better affiliation programs out there.

10$ means all players will go broke before they can reach 100SP, which means we'll never get money from PS anymore, unless the player makes a deposit (in which case there are much better offers out there for TaFers of "depositing players").

I may not bring half as much as a big english-speaking TaFer but I still brought about 80 active players to PokerStrategy. And really, I'm ready to stop all this, because I feel this new business-model won't even cover the costs of hosting+domain names for my websites.
    • DarthVader666
      DarthVader666
      Bronze
      I do agree with everything you said....players will never reach the 100sp points at least most of them....I bring usually 600 players by month...and if TAF remains the same I will stop working with Pokerstrategy....
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      $10 isnt really a BR. Love $50 starting capitals from ps
    • DrKillByDeath187
      DrKillByDeath187
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Azrael128

Personally, if no change is done to the TaF program while this 10$ move is really done, then I'm done with PokerStrategy's TaF. There are better affiliation programs out there.

10$ means all players will go broke before they can reach 100SP, which means we'll never get money from PS anymore, unless the player makes a deposit (in which case there are much better offers out there for TaFers of "depositing players").

...I'm ready to stop all this, because I feel this new business-model won't even cover the costs of hosting+domain names for my websites.
      This covers it all
    • MissBocker
      MissBocker
      Bronze
      Thank you all for your comments.

Through the last 12-months, we have tried a multitude of different funding methods and amounts, and via that process have found what we believe is the optimal free bankroll amount - $10.

We tested the new bankroll amount and it did affect player value. So more people with the same player value will get the free money and start generating SPs and as a result more people will reach 100sp.

Give the free bankroll to many, many more players.

we have been working on improving our conversion, by streamlining our fraud checks, improving the quiz and monitoring player behaviour. This will mean more players will get the free money and start generating SPs which will translate into more TaF payments

It is our goal to make free $10 better for TAFers than free $50. Recently, we had comments from TAFers due to poor conversion rates. (not enough people getting the $50)

In particular, the conversion rate for free $50 was often low with a small number of players getting the money. We want to at least double or even triple the conversion . The larger volumes should compensate for the lower amount of money.

Thanks again,

Dana
    • DarthVader666
      DarthVader666
      Bronze
      I seriously doubt of that.....More players will get the money but much less will reach the 100sp so less taf money....

Taf conditions should be reviwed along with the bankrolls it does not make any sense changing only one...

This will only make PokerStrategy earn more money and taffers less....just like the changes last December....
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      $10 isn't a proper BR. This seems a really backwards system. Why not keep the $50. release it in parts. Have certain requirements. Like taking part in the BSS poker course. People are going to blow the ten bucks so quickly and then never come back. You need something more engaging for the players. Most people on here lost their first $50 pretty quickly. It is impossible for the majority of people not to lose 5 buy ins while first starting the game. Very badly thought out changes. I really question a lot of the business decisions you make sometimes. It seems like a big gamble.
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze
      $20 or $25 would be ok, but $10 is too small. If I remember right, Poker Strategy earns money from rakeback, so if they give alot of $10 to people I don't know how many of the new players will be able to rakeback so PS will get their invesment back.

Surely they must have another form of earning money, like the number of players they bring to each room. Theoretically this would be 5 times larger so from a bussiness point of view this makes sense.

The psychological part and social part of the customer must be taken in consideration too, a bussiness does not deal only with cold calculations!

If PS continues to ask for ID check for the $10, they will loose new players. I sure wouldn't give my ID only to get $10. Even if blank the personal data, it's just too much hassle.

Yet PS have their own statistics and surely they must have a more accurate percentage who played well from the beginning and didn't loose too much money. Still I think $10 is too less.

If a decrease in given money is wanted, 20 - 25 dollars seems fine.
    • fcumred
      fcumred
      Bronze
      If the amount is reduced to $10 then the logical suggestion would be that players can then ( if they meet certain criteria ) apply for further $10 bankrolls on other sites. You could insist they get say 50 points before they can apply for a second bankroll. 100 for a 3rd, 200 for a 4th and 300 for the final one.

TAFers would then get rewarded for every site that player makes money on.

GOod players will make money on all the sites they play at, and PS will get more revenue. As it stands $10 will go nowhere and players will blow it having not made the affiliates or PS much money, if any at all.

Very poor decision, and one that really will crucify PS. There are sites where you can get anything up to 8 bankrolls at different sites, and its easier to get than on here.

The fact is, PS isn't making as much money as they want Nothing to do with making it better for the people referring players to PS. Thats why they're implementing this rule. The reason they aren't making money is because they give so many $50 away and most of the players blow it within the first few hours.

By doing it the way I suggested there is an incentive to stick around PS. There is an incentive to grow their initial bankroll and everyone benefits.
    • iThinBetRiver
      iThinBetRiver
      Bronze
      Interesting change. I am one of the users who was denied the starting bankroll :f_o: So any good change to make it smoother would be appreciated.

This change is quite welcome. Less rigorous security checks -> more players.

I like the suggestion of releasing a certain amount every target strategy points achieved; IMO $15 for every 150SP till 450SP; the starting bankroll, whilst not ideal would be quite ok enough....much safer than 5BI.

On an off-topic note, most people here in PS aren't primarily here because of this free bankroll stuff, it is for the quite priceless knowledge and wisdom they stand to gain on their poker game.

Anyways meh -_- GL
    • Takiozi
      Takiozi
      Bronze
      if new ppl will see FREE 10$ - they will think "meh, not worth my time"

when they see free 50$ - "omg omg gimme gimme, lets give this poker thing a try"
    • miholc
      miholc
      Bronze
      Hi there folks

Interesting thread, let me throw my $0.02 in it. It is always funny to see
      TAF-ers convincing pokerstrategy.com through threads like this how
      new programme sucks and how an old one was THE one!! And I ain't no
      hypocrite I'd want old programme back too, but I guess it was just to good
      to be true. World financial crisis and last years Black Friday had huge
      impact on online-poker too. So face with it people, changes are inevitable.

Now for the new TAF system. If a new member passes the quiz and gets
      starting $10, well that's 5BI's for NL2 and 2,5BI's for say NL4. And if I am
      not mistaken, isn't it like that one needs at least 20 - 25BI's to play certain
      limit at NLHE? Now in before reply, "but you get another $10 next week..."
      Right, BUT that's exactly the main issue with new TAF system imo.
      If a new player goes busto with first $10, he/she in most cases
      never log-ins back again (at least that's how I presume and observe
      through 'reffered friends section'. another option is that they just don't log-
      in into poker-room with money left anymore for some reason, but I think
      that's less likely. as I have said already, imo they go busto and never log
      back again. be it poker-room or pokerstrategy.com)

This is getting long already so let me conclude.
      I'd change starting capital from 5x$10 to one piece of starting
      capital and lock limits above NL2, NL4. (by one piece I mean be it $20 and
      more the better obviously, but that $20 should be enough. enough for a
      player with proper mindset.)
      And when talking of mindset... For poker's sake, do make more
      articles/interviews with 'stories of succes' etc... Pokerstrategy offers lots of
      tools to be a winning player, but lots of people joins just to kill some time
      and some of them are perspective but needs to be stimulated!

Oh well I could go on and on with this...

[TL;DR]

- 5x$10 < 1x$20
      - more attractive articles (introduce successful poker strategists, poker celebs, all with intention to help new members being stimulated and focused to achieve their goal-s
      - inform new player with major poker mistakes (not to marry with broadway cards, position awareness!!, etc etc) so those mistakes become advantages
      - site got to be user friendly, so members find it attractive and they do log back in.

Enough. GL to all.

Cheers.
    • MissBocker
      MissBocker
      Bronze
      Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

We are always reviewing how things work and try and and improve them. We believe having checked player activity with the same amount that there will be more people reaching 100sp - which will result in more TaF money.
    • nikola1109
      nikola1109
      Bronze
      I like to say that I fully support and agree with the posts of the DarthVader666 , Azrael128 , martoman2k10 , DrKillByDeath187 and everyone who think like that.

I can not understand the logic of the moderators who are telling that 10 is and will be better than 50$!!! Come onnn people, are you serious? And personally, I don't think that even you believe what you are saying, it is just what you must write in order to earn your pay check!!!

I would like to suggest to everyone hire TO IMMEDIATELY STOP EVERY REFERRING ACTIVITIES THAT YOU DO in order for pokerstrategy to see the real consciousnesses of this action! And also I would recommend to fire the "genius(es)" that make this critical mistake for charges of trying to bankrupt the company, cause that is what will be!!!!

FROM THIS MOMENT I WILL IMMEDIATELY STOP EVERY REFERRING ACTIVITIES THAT I DO!!!!
    • sausage646
      sausage646
      Bronze
      So 10$?

Didn't 770 poker offered 7.7$ for free, no ID checks or registering on website, than room stuff? ( I would kinda be happy to let go those 2.3$ just not to go trought register - fill info/ register - fill info/ ID check/ ID check stuff)

+ PKR few weaks ago had 1st depositor bonus -

1. FREE chipset
      2. 20$ instant
      3. 25$ in ticket

---- 10$ ??? ------

solution: give 10/10/10/10/10 (or something like that) - just make them rake, just how you did whit the 3d free bankroll that I did received...
    • sausage646
      sausage646
      Bronze
    • jaggedlink
      jaggedlink
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MissBocker
      Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

We are always reviewing how things work and try and and improve them. We believe having checked player activity with the same amount that there will be more people reaching 100sp - which will result in more TaF money.
      BUT, you also need 2 taf for one payment, cuz you can only withdraw at $50

fineprint and doublespeak itt

BUT, if you really want to push everybody back to playing with other RB affiliates on FT, then........

gg, wp