giving villain a hand range

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      I'm having a lot of trouble giving villain ranges when playing. Generally I imagine the villain has quite a top heavy range consisting of mainly broadway cards and some pps and connectors.

My problem is that say the board is like 683 rainbow or something similar even if i have top pair on this kind of board i feel extremely vulnerable to better pairs and even overcards that have outs. and if the turn comes out a T or above i am convinced that i'm beat even if i have A8.

Am i unrealistic to think that a hand like AJ or KQ or something will call a 2/3 pot bet oop with just overcards? or is this a common thing?

How do you properly assess an opponent's range when he is unknown?
  • 1 reply
    • mkjmkjmkj
      mkjmkjmkj
      Bronze
      you are vulnerable with toppair on a board like that it would be hard to bet or call more than two streets

you will sometimes get called by overcards

vs unknown you have to make some assumptions on how most people play from experiens

so broadways Connecters and pps is a good guess to start from
      then ofcause you have to look at position villain is more likely to have a lot crappy hands when he is stealing from late postion
      and if you are the preflopraiser you might take out hands hands he is likely to 3bet QQ+ AK