Got Grind?!

• sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      Hello there, just going to introduce myself again I believe. My names Rob, 33 yrs of age and a family man of 2 girls and of coarse my wife. I've been dabbling between live poker games with the boys and the odd local tournaments here and there and of coarse on-line when I needed to get my "fix." I was part of the "Moneymaker bandwagon" really when online became the 'thing to-do' and it's been a roller coaster of emotions and yes bankroll. LOL

So one day I'm not even sure if I remember exactly but I'm here now but I came across an ad (just like everyone else it seems) wanting to give me a free start-up BR of $50!! $50 FREE!! ARE YOU F'in serious I thought so why not. So Nov 23 2010 was the day that changed the way I thought poker was played on-line. PS changed my train of thought, how to act (still learning) how to adjust (still learning) how to react (still learning) how to control my emotions (still learning) and how to control BRM (of coarse still learning)

I admit I thought after reading the articles, and reading some more. Watching video's from Gerv, AK, Grummeler just to name a few and watching them again that I possessed some sort of knowledge that would launch me to a new level. Well my ego (still learning to control that) got in the way and I found myself broke and gave up after taking beats no matter what I did.

This was probably in the past year if i recall, it wasn't up until May where I started dabbling back on-line. I work shift work 2 weeks days 2 weeks nights and found myself coming home around 3:30am bored out of my mind so I came back on, found I had like 1.20+/- on Pokerstars just enough to get on a .01/.02 using SSS and see where I can go with that. Well, I had it up one point to $10 or so. I was amazed with myself and from there, lets just say old habits are hard to die. I took 888 poker up on their offer for free cash again doing well and again broke. Talk about getting a little discouraged. So what's a guy to do? Here I am, really wanting to pick up poker again as a hobby and something to keep me occupied when I get home from work at nights so I did what most people would or shall i say SHOULD is read, study, read and study till I thought I was blue in the face. I came across a forum topic about people getting a "second life" a second BR of $50 from PokerStrategy! Could this be a chance at redemption? So with a request for another "life at poker" I was granted $50.

At first when I read the instructions how I can release that $50 by increments of $10 and accumulate .50 rake ea. week to unlock the next $10 and so on, man was I a little worried. So... there's the gauntlet, the test if you will and it's up to me and only me to tackle this (with the aid of all the excellent tools and instructional video's, forums, blogs, strategy articles, hand evaluations) I can arm myself and prepare for... "WAR" lol a little hasty it's not how I totally feel but thought it'd fit nicely in my blog.

So according to HEM I've been tracked since July 30, which is the time I got my first $10 of my $50. I did have a good run back in June made silver status but like I stated earlier old habits and I couldn't maintain cause I had no moo'la to play in the month of July.

So I have a Mac and realized that HEM doesn't work without running parrells or something like that, so i decided to clean up the PC I had running before my world became APPLE and made the PC my Poker Tool. It's only used for and by me for poker. I can't believe my wife allowed me to have my own PC! LOL So now I can run my HEM and track everything!!

I think I'm going to end my first entry here. I just scrolled up and realized it's getting long and I really would like someone to follow me and hopefully keep my motivated, give me personal advice and everything that follows with a blog. I really want to share some pics (if i can figure it out) of my graph. I'm pretty stoked about it and the results so if you know how that can be your first reply to my blog.

Thank you for reading or scrolling through it at least and do hope to see some post(s) Cheers!

Rob
  • 6 replies
    • gigenieks
      gigenieks
      Global
      Hi there! :s_cool:

"lets just say old habits are hard to die"... ...I did have a good run back in June made silver status but like I stated earlier old habits.. --- and they are what??
    • sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      yeah sorry, after reading my post man i realized just how tired I was typing that up cause I was jumping all over. Like I said I work nights, I come home put in a solid 3hrs of poker and then I start to crash so then I know it's time for bed. Last night I decided to type up a blog.

So, old habits... #1 I didn't follow proper BRM! Simply enough, the minute I got that $1.2 up I immediately jumped up from 1 table to 6 tables. Looking back, my concentration was not there. #2 I couldn't handle all the action that I was getting involved in. My hand selection was poor. #3 I was not following the chart 100%.

A lesson learned, a humbling one and I think my play has changed since then. After spending nights just reading and trying to understand all the dynamics that go into on-line poker and the patience thats involved.

It's a work in progress and with the help from everyone I hope I'm actually doing it right and building my BR. After the $50 is fully deposited I am now sitting at $82. My graph has shown huge improvements from being down $20. I've recorded just over 16K hands for the month of Aug. I'm not sure on a scale how that ranks but considering I play on avg 3-4 hrs a night I think that's a pretty good sum of hands.
      After 10K hands I've started this good run and have seen that -$20 rise up as high as $32. That's $50 dollars of grinding away and sticking to what I know best and feel comfortable, so I must say I'm quite happy with my performance in the past week alone that I hope to continue this trend of solid, consistant and patient play to see my BR climb to $150 to possibly make attempt at a newer level and start the grind again.

If anyone knows how to post images from HEM to the forums that would be great!

Cheers!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi sokoi and welcome to blogs. :)

I'd say with 2 girls AND a wife, I'd certainly stick to trying to comtrol your ego, it's much easier! Whew!

I hope you do well in your quest, but make sure it stays fun as well won't you, very important to success is enjoyment of subject [he said, sagely].

The quickest way to get an answer to that HM question, would be to post a new thread question here I should think;

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1361

Have fun, run hot and keep us updated.

Mal.
    • sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      Thanks Gadget and for the welcome greeting.

Your definitely right about keeping it fun. Since the beginning of this month it's been fun. I'll admit a little worry some at times when you glance at the graphs and hand histories of my errors but it's been a fun trying to figure it all out and to test my new findings and it seems to be working. I'll keep that advice in mind every time I log on and hopefully that fun and positive energy will show.

Just got home so time to hit some tables and grind out another good session!

Cheers!
    • sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      So I've got it now, and hopefully this works. WOWZERS it's amazing what you can find if you read and search. LOL and of coarse with some help. I used imageshack.com to upload a pic of my graph so here it is.

I feel a bit embarrased but pretty good about the way I ended the month of August so hopefully some will see the progression and even have some comments as I'm still learning to read and understand the graphs. I mean besides the obvious that going up is a good thing!

[img][IMG]https://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3616/aug30graph.jpg[/IMG][/img]

Last night I had a bit of a session but I could feel just sitting here last night I think my body finally had a bit too much. I wasn't playing at my optimum and decided enough was enough for one night. Managed to get in just under 1200 hands last night with a lost of ($2.45) on NL2.
      Will recoup, spend some quality time with the family this weekend and hopefully fit in some "grind time" time permitting. On days for the next 2 weeks so my poker time will be short but will update after each session.

Cheers everyone, enjoy the last long weekend of the summer (for those that don't have a long weekend enjoy anyhow!)
    • gigenieks
      gigenieks
      Global
      I think everything will be fine. Keep us posted! :s_cool: