Bakuncho

• bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm from Portugal and 34 years old, yes a bit old but never late to start.

I play SH but I believe that the knowledge that this course brings to me will be very useful. This way I'll explore the english side of our forum.

Although I have some knowldege of the game, i will do all steps pf this course. Of course the hands that I'll display probably will be in SH but, since I played FR already, I can do some sessions in FR so I don't deviate the focus.

Regards,
  • 15 replies
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      I really need to learn more of this game because i play ABC poker. This week isn't good because I coulnd't grind much but I realise the I need to be more loose in position so I can be more profitable and learn more so, when I'll get NL25+, to be more profitable.

Graph in NL2:

Intense study mode on and some grind.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck bakuncho,

Seems like you are already doing pretty good. :) I hope your progress continues the same way. Wish you good luck with it!

Great to have you with us here, hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Thanks for the welcome!

Well let's go to the homework:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

First it's the love of the game and the challenge that it give us trying to explore the opponents and put them on a range of hands, second of course it's the money but, for now, it's a secondary. I love to study this and gives me so pleasure that my day job doesn't give.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

There are several but the major is sometime I don't give credit to the opponents when they play bad so I overrated my game and I can't leave the personal problems behind.
      Of course I don't know much but I'm studying (and will study much more) to reduce the many leaks that I have.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Hummm, it's a player with a small range of hands, not small but somehow reduce that doesn´t explore pre flop much and when he plays a hand he can be very aggressive if the bets. Knows all the draws and plays accordly with that, has a good pos flop game, I can say probably with a VPIP of 15 and PRF very close to that. It's a player to be careful when I play against but easy to ready sometimes.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Studying is very important role in poker and especially if you just started with it. For a beginner it's even more important than more advanced player cause beginner makes a lot more mistakes than a beginner. Therefore try to concentrate maybe even more on studying and don't forget it! It's very important to analyze sessions and try to find your major leaks what make you cost money during even upswings, cause during downswing you obviously will lose and even lose extra money with tilting.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Hi,

Sorry for the delay in this course but I had several personnal problems to deal..

One of my leaks is I play a bit tight to 6max because sometime I get a bit lost on turn and river, and probably, the last month (from NL10 I'm on NL2) because I loose 2 much on river so it affects my play.

Tilt, well I can deal with it pretty good because last month, I got so much coolers that I feel and know that I made the +EV decision most of the times but the cards doesn't help. When I feel that I made the right decision I'm ok with it but of course the sum of them affects me. For noe I have a stop loss of 3BI session and an 1 hour break to "forget".

I'll try to do all homework because I read and saw all videos and I'm reading some books and I still I'm very weak player. Hopefully this course will improve my game and use more the English forum for other perspective of my game.

Regards
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Lesson 2:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?(Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

Since I mostly play SH there are some hands that are suitable to squeeze OOP against fish or loose passive players, KJs+, AJo+

IP SC can be very good to 3bet in lower limits although they can bring us very problems it the caller doesn't fold very much to a cbet (and it becomes very normal this days) and an easy fold to 4bet

Other thing are pocket pairs to call or fold to a 3bet/4bet, it depends on the agressor, if I have the information that he can do with trash hands I can call or go AI with him with 99+.

The charts stats that only QQ+ are suitable to 3bet, IP i do it with TT+

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I have several hands but this one was one difficult decision on river, I only decided what to do in the last second only based on pot odds.

NL2 SH AK

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Since I use Equilab a lot after a session:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      MP3    53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

In a coin flip I normally call or go AI in pf against unknow, maniacs and LAG with some information. Against NIT or tight it became a rather difficult decision because their range but I probably go AI either way. If a had QQ it becomes some how an easy fold.
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Lesson 3:

Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Pre Flop:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Flop

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Here is relative simple, without any information of the BU when he just calls pf I'll put him with small pairs, lets say 22-TT (probably TT he would 3bet), AT, SC, one/two gap connectors suited/off.

Say that when he make a min raise, not looking for the hand range I'm getting to right odds for the call to chase flush, overcards and gutshot, but If I put him with a set or maybe 2 pairs, I'm getting a bit less so the fold isn´t horrible but either way I believe the call is the best choice.. If he bet more probably I would fold.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL4 SH TT
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Lesson 4:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

Nl4 Sh 77

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

NL10 SH JTs

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q :diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 7:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2     3.23%   1.62%   1.62% { KsQd }
      MP3    96.77%  95.15%   1.62% { 7h7c }
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Lesson 5:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

NL4 SH QQ vs 2

NL10 SH JJ vs SB

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 :diamond: , 7 :diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 :diamond: , 3 :heart: , T :diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J :diamond: (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

Difficult spot, we have flush but since we are in FR and SB is tight probably he has flush also. BB doesn't concern me, since the bet is almost pot I would probably fold. A call isn't terrible but we need to be aware that we are probably behind. This is a typical situation, a lit ahead away behind. Fold is the best action.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J :heart: , J :spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 :heart: , 9 :spade: , T :club:( 2 players)
      Hero...

There's no reason to lead in this board, against this opponent I would check/raise. Is 3bet range is relative wide in BU probably and I don't want to see any scary card in turn.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Since I mostly play SH there are some hands that are suitable to squeeze OOP against fish or loose passive players, KJs+, AJo+

That's totally true, we mainly looking for blockers to squeeze with. Though you should also pay attention on against whom you doing that. Cause against loose players we don't want to do that, especially on lower limits where you get called very loose. Might rather do it for value if we are against loose players.

IP SC can be very good to 3bet in lower limits although they can bring us very problems it the caller doesn't fold very much to a cbet (and it becomes very normal this days) and an easy fold to 4bet

That's correct, as said above vs very loose players it's very difficult going to play vs them.

Other thing are pocket pairs to call or fold to a 3bet/4bet, it depends on the agressor, if I have the information that he can do with trash hands I can call or go AI with him with 99+. The charts stats that only QQ+ are suitable to 3bet, IP i do it with TT+

That's dependent a lot on the opponents we are against. I wouldn't really follow exactly the chart for 3betting cause clearly you can't always go broke TT+ vs any opponent and which most likely would even be a mistake to do so. Instead even maybe play vs nitty opponents rather passively and just Call instead.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Lesson 6:

First I liked the video because I'm on a downswing or just making all the wrong decisions and just needed to listen, the past doesn't matter, all new hand is a reset of the past. I just need to forget and focus on my game and forget the results just focus on becoming a better player.

Said that here is the homework:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

Nl4 Sh Aj

NL4 -- Bad play?

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q :heart: , J :heart:
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3 :heart: , J :club: , A :diamond: (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q :club: (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

Well since the BB just called pf in this mutiway pot he probably doesn't have JJ+, AK. Although I have 2 pairs, the BB just bets 1/2 pot that might indicates or a block bet or a made hand but the board is wet so I willing to control the pot. I rather prefer just call there and fold a river with a :club: , T or a K.

Raising won't be wrong because I can charge for the draws but this is a typical situation of a bit ahead / way behind so I would just call there (have the right odds to do so also).
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Lesson 6:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table (short-handed).

NL4 AA vs LAG(?)

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members

NL25sh - K8s river???

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 :heart: , 4 :heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3 :spade: , 2 :heart: , Q :heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

Here is q bit simple answer, I know that probably I'm facing sets but I'm getting the right odds to call since I have OESD and flush draw, so I call every day there.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: , K :spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) A :spade: , 4 :club: , 4 :diamond:( 4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

Interesting hand, multiway pot and a donk bet 4/5.. folding TPTK I believe to be very weak so at least I call but I raise I need to call any all in. Probably I would consider just to call there, passive play here against 3 players is the best move.
    • bakuncho
      bakuncho
      Bronze
      Lesson 7:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation.

NL4 SH JJ vs maniac

NL 10 AKo

$100 NL Hold'em (9 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($100)
      UTG+1 ($100)
      MP1 ($100)
      MP2 ($100)
      Hero ($100)
      CO ($100)
      BU ($100)
      SB ($100)
      BB ($100) (18/15/3.7/23/732)[VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8 :heart: , 9 :heart:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, 3 folds, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($8.50) 3 :heart: , 6 :heart: , 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.50 BB calls $5.50

Turn: ($19.50) J :heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero...

The villain is tight I would always bet here because his aggression and WTS stats, he could be chasing a better flush or a pair, The J suits him very well and I need some protection in my hand, so betting is the best option.

Question 4 (optional question): Consider the following situation:

$200 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      MP2 (Hero) ($327.95)
      MP3 ($207.45)
      CO ($415.55) (TAG)
      BU ($373.60) (TAG)
      SB ($200.00)
      BB ($218.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7 :heart: , 8 :heart:
      Hero raises to $7, 1 folds, CO raises to $23, BU calls $23, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $16

Flop: ($72) 7 :club: , 8 :diamond: , 8 :spade: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU bets $52, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn: ($228) K :diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU checks

River: ($228) Q :heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $110, CO raises to $340.55 (All-in), BU folds, Hero?

What factors and concepts that you have learned so far would you use in evaluating this situation? What would your action be?

i'm a bit deep in this hand that makes the call preflop ok.

The river is a tricky one. I've seen lots of hands at this limit that makes me consider to call there but since CO is TAG and had initiative pf, his range is limited. AK, QQ+ is a possible range to put him.

I believe that in NL200 in the turn, if he has KK he could check this to wait if we bluff river and then go AI. I don't know if I could fold here but it may be the right action.

I'm currently on a tournament but I will try to do the exam now.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by bakuncho
      Lesson 6:

First I liked the video because I'm on a downswing or just making all the wrong decisions and just needed to listen, the past doesn't matter, all new hand is a reset of the past. I just need to forget and focus on my game and forget the results just focus on becoming a better player.

Said that here is the homework:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

Nl4 Sh Aj

NL4 -- Bad play?

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q :heart: , J :heart:
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3 :heart: , J :club: , A :diamond: (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q :club: (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

Well since the BB just called pf in this mutiway pot he probably doesn't have JJ+, AK. Although I have 2 pairs, the BB just bets 1/2 pot that might indicates or a block bet or a made hand but the board is wet so I willing to control the pot. I rather prefer just call there and fold a river with a :club: , T or a K.

Raising won't be wrong because I can charge for the draws but this is a typical situation of a bit ahead / way behind so I would just call there (have the right odds to do so also).
      Hi Bakuncho,

What do you think villain would do with Ax, draws, etc when faced by a raise (on the turn)?

I personally think that we can raise here for value against a calling station.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by bakuncho
      Lesson 7:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation.

NL4 SH JJ vs maniac

NL 10 AKo

$100 NL Hold'em (9 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($100)
      UTG+1 ($100)
      MP1 ($100)
      MP2 ($100)
      Hero ($100)
      CO ($100)
      BU ($100)
      SB ($100)
      BB ($100) (18/15/3.7/23/732)[VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8 :heart: , 9 :heart:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, 3 folds, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($8.50) 3 :heart: , 6 :heart: , 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.50 BB calls $5.50

Turn: ($19.50) J :heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero...

The villain is tight I would always bet here because his aggression and WTS stats, he could be chasing a better flush or a pair, The J suits him very well and I need some protection in my hand, so betting is the best option.

Question 4 (optional question): Consider the following situation:

$200 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      MP2 (Hero) ($327.95)
      MP3 ($207.45)
      CO ($415.55) (TAG)
      BU ($373.60) (TAG)
      SB ($200.00)
      BB ($218.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7 :heart: , 8 :heart:
      Hero raises to $7, 1 folds, CO raises to $23, BU calls $23, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $16

Flop: ($72) 7 :club: , 8 :diamond: , 8 :spade: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU bets $52, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn: ($228) K :diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU checks

River: ($228) Q :heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $110, CO raises to $340.55 (All-in), BU folds, Hero?

What factors and concepts that you have learned so far would you use in evaluating this situation? What would your action be?

i'm a bit deep in this hand that makes the call preflop ok.

The river is a tricky one. I've seen lots of hands at this limit that makes me consider to call there but since CO is TAG and had initiative pf, his range is limited. AK, QQ+ is a possible range to put him.

I believe that in NL200 in the turn, if he has KK he could check this to wait if we bluff river and then go AI. I don't know if I could fold here but it may be the right action.

I'm currently on a tournament but I will try to do the exam now.
      Looks good,

A few questions for you:

89hh hand: what is villain's range, in your opinion, on the turn?

If we bet can we expect worse to call? Do we really need protection (and if so from what)?