Calling a SB to your BB push !!!

• thesundancekid
      thesundancekid
      Bronze
      Hey guys, thought I would start a topic on what range you would call a SB to BB push...

there are so many factors that apply ofc, what type of player your opponent is, stage of the tournament, stack sizes etc/etc/etc..

but lets just keep it simple...

say that your deep in a tournament, the SB is a fairly decent player and he is short stacked he has 10bbs so and hes waiting for an opportunity to double up,

you have about 20-30bbs.....

every 1 folds and he pushs you.....what would you call with???

( folding is ofc an option )

well what I do is, depending on my read on my opponent

I would call with any PP, K 8+ , A5+.....

but if you are in a situation where every time its folded to the SB and he is constantly pushing you , what I do is trap him into thinking he can get away with JAM stealing the blinds by folding to him a couple of times, as you know he thinks your scared to call and lose your stack to him and then I snap call him usually with any Ace, King, or Queen....... or ofc any PP.
  • 4 replies
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      A8+,A7s+,22+,KQ.

with 20-30bb i dontt see the need to go wider than that.
    • thesundancekid
      thesundancekid
      Bronze
      think the standard play is

22+,A2s+,K8s+,QTs+,JTs,A2o+,K9o+,QTo+ to be more specific

but it should always be about pot odds !!!
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      In ops scenario, pot odds are always the same. Call 9bb to win 12bb (plus the antes if relevant). I don't see this as a pot odds issue.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Very much depends on the exact situation, my opponents stats, the table flow, existing bubble factors, the other stack sizes and so on. Very hard to give you an exact answer without a given situation. Yours is a bit too vague. Antes are important as well.

In the end it is quite easy:
      Give your opponent a range. If he is a regular and there is no important bubble factor (and the antes are standard Stars-format) the range should be like this (75%):
      22+,A2s+,K2s+,Q2s+,J2s+,T2s+,92s+,83s+,73s+,63s+,52s+,43s,A2o+,K2o+,Q2o+,J5o+,T6o+,96o+,86o+,75o+,65o,54o

Now you can do the math. Which hands are good enough to call? You need ~41,8% equity for a break even call (chip EV):
      22+, Ax, Kx, Qx, J2s+, J6o+, T5s+, T7o+, 98o, 96s+, 86s+, 76s

Each of these hands has at least 42% equity against your opponents range. Therefore you should call with these hands if the range for your opponent ist accurate.

I used the pokerstrategy.com Equilab for my calculations. You may find this free and very powerful and useful software under the poker tools tab:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/10/

Regards,
      Asaban