Low limit SNG rake.

• JJSimpson
      JJSimpson
      Bronze
      Is it just me or is 20% insanely high rake for low limit SNG's?
      Especially for anybody starting out and looking to build a decent roll.
      And why would you choose Titan Poker over any other site with such high rake?
      Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
      Regards,
      JJSimpson
  • 4 replies
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      I regret playing so much on their $1 and $2 sngs... the rake there is really a killer.

You could try something like ongame - $3.30 level sngs which run pretty often. Overall their sng traffic is good. Or just try to move up to the $5.50 level on ipoker BUT bear in mind that a LOT of regs on iPoker at this level have high rakeback accounts and play loads of games, eating up each others' ROI - just to make rakeback profits.
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      Hi JJSimpson,

I have to agree 20% is very high in terms of rake. This seems to be the problem with playing microstakes.

The only plus side is that because there are so many fish at this level it is easier to overcome the 20% rake.
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      Originally posted by CallumN
      Hi JJSimpson,

I have to agree 20% is very high in terms of rake. This seems to be the problem with playing microstakes.

The only plus side is that because there are so many fish at this level it is easier to overcome the 20% rake.
      I have won a fair few dollars on Poker770 playing the Pokerstrategy daily freeroll. I now have enough to play 2NL cash and/or 60 cent SNGs. However, I am put-off by the 20% rake for the micro-stake SNGS.

I am a tight aggressive player and don't consider myself a fish at the micro-stakes. But I am reluctant to play these games because I don't fancy struggling to break-even, or make a slight profit after hundreds and hundreds of games. But I have a cunning plan.....

To overcome the rake I think a good strategy would be to start at 12 cent SNGS. If I lose say 25 buy-ins at this level, I then play the next stake at 24 cents. And should I lose another 25 buy-ins, move up to 60 cents. Giving me a total of 75 buy-ins which fits in with good bankroll management.

The idea behind this is that if I hit a variance swing, as often is the case playing SNGS, I will be playing at a higher stake when an up-swing takes effect. Thus allowing me to overcome the rake from previous games. After a certain % profit, which I have yet to decide on (say 15%), I would then stop, take my winnings, and restart at 12 cents. Repeating the cycle.

I think this is the only viable strategy to overcome the rake on iPoker. I have yet to try this system out though. But I think it will work. It is just a question of knowing when to stop during an upswing. :f_biggrin:

If my bankroll increases by playing this way, I could then move up stakes following the same method. i.e. 25 buy-ins each @ $0.60, $1.20, $2.40, until I reach $5.50 SNGs.

Please let me know what anyone thinks about this strategy. Is it viable? Or is it flawed?
    • CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      at the beginning you pay maximum rake to the house

when you move up in stakes you start to pay less to the house, but another problem seems to loom in the horizon, the other players you play with, they are increasingly good at playing the game

going up, you pay less and less to the house ( % of the pot wise) and try to get more from the quality players ( which they were not at your tables when you was playing at max rake)

so you pay money anyway : when you play micros, to the pokersite, when you play higher , to the better players than yourself

the goal is to be better than those who beat you

and this goes until the highest peaks - nosebleeds- high stakes where there is a pot of say 5000$ in a certain hand and the house take 4$ and winner takes 4996$. yes, after a certain level the rake is capped ( which means it wont go higher after a certain $ amount is reached)
      then is when you care more for taking money from opponent than the rake pokersite is taking from your play

compare 5% rake of 1$ pot - 0.05c to 400 cents rake in a 5000$ pot