[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL 50 top 2 pair vs river x/r

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $67.56 (135.1 bb)
      CO: $98.88 (197.8 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $52.35 (104.7 bb)
      SB: $108.37 (216.7 bb)
      BB: $56.49 (113 bb)
      UTG: $52.25 (104.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 T
      2 folds, CO raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.75) 5 9 8 (2 players)
      CO bets $1.75, Hero calls $1.75

Turn: ($7.25) 7 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $4.37, CO calls $4.37

River: ($15.99) T (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $6.87, CO raises to $46.50, Hero folds

I think it doesn't make sense to do this with a hand other than QJ, but I don't see how he is having that in his range (turn x/c) and anyways Jx looks kinda stupid to checks/shove here as I can have him beat or I call with a split.

Also I don't think it makes sense as a bluff line. I am having Jx in my range and I don't think I have a huge range here.
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DeMarcohsp,

What's the reason for betting the river in first place? You ain't gonna get called from a lot worse hands and at the same time you will have really tough time to Call vs his line. You are also narrowing your range there and making it rather thin value-bet with mediocre hand with such a sizing. Though I of course wouldn't be calling down here either, doubt that he has that many bluffs which shove like that, he could gain the same fold equity even with smaller Raise.

Best Regards.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      I expect villain to take this line with 2 pair type hands which are afraid of 6x on the turn.

Why do you think there is no value in betting the river? Don't you expect him to have lots of 2pair/sets here?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      if he's reasonable bottom of his calling range are sets imo. also my feeling is that even if we add all the reasonable twopair combos you still cannot valuebet, have to check equilab
      imo there is no value on this river and it's not even close, unless he's so bad that his calling range here includes QQ+

could hero call with the Jx? i tend towards a fold also
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      I expect villain to take this line with 2 pair type hands which are afraid of 6x on the turn.

Why do you think there is no value in betting the river? Don't you expect him to have lots of 2pair/sets here?
      But 2pairs ain't calling you mate. :P Cause they don't beat anything either, your calling range has him hardly crushed, so only range which calls you at the best is sets. He has to be really bad to call you down there with worse 2pairs.