UTG: $10.10 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 26
      MP: $9.85 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 2,0, Hands: 52
      CO: $17.60 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 1,2, Hands: 116
      BTN: $5.45 - VPIP: 57, PFR: 41, 3B: 0, AF: 9,7, Hands: 56
      SB: $9.28 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 15, 3B: 0, AF: 1,5, Hands: 95
      Hero (BB): $12.42 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 15, 3B: 6, AF: 4,7, Hands: 27584

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with A :heart: A :club:
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1, SB calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.00) 2 :spade: 3 :heart: 7 :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.80, Hero raises to $11.42, SB folds

Couldn't I have called to keep his range wider? At the time of play I thought it makes sense to raise and get it in vs weaker overpairs that might get scared of overcards, should some appear on later streets if I call. And if villain donks as a bluff here on the flop I am not all that sure he is going to believe that he has any fold equity left on either the turn or river so I don't think I am getting more from his bluffs anyway. Pushing seems to be the correct play here.
  • 5 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      You could raise to 4$there and go broke on any turn. Making that kind of a bet creates an illusion for your opponent that he might still have some fold equity on you. And it may induce them to overplay 7x, 99, TT etc.

Playing this way is good, if you sometimes bluff this way, too. But this way you loose value, because seeing hearts on the turn isn't that bad (you got backdoor).
      Bronze
      I think that if we decide to raise here it makes more sense to just push as it looks weaker. I doubt that even this guy would think that my 4$ raise there can ever be weak. At least very rarely should that be the case.
      And I probably don't need to balance my value lines with bluff lines with this play vs this particular guy on this particular limit :) he is not paying attention to that!
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      But by pushing you lose all value from draws and weaker overpairs+ top-pairs on that board! If you just shove, those hands are likely to give up. If he is a donkey, let him to donate that stack for you =)
      Bronze
      But by pushing you lose all value from draws and weaker overpairs+ top-pairs on that board! If you just shove, those hands are likely to give up.

That is an interesting problem and because of that I am also very much looking forward to Veriz's reply.

As I said in my first post in this thread:

At the time of play I thought it makes sense to raise and get it in vs weaker overpairs that might get scared of overcards, should some appear on later streets if I call. And if villain donks as a bluff here on the flop I am not all that sure he is going to believe that he has any fold equity left on either the turn or river so I don't think I am getting more from his bluffs anyway.

By pushing we are not getting any value from FDs, that is true (then again – is villain often playing his FDs by donkbetting in a 3B pot?). However, I think that we are getting more value from overpairs by pushing on the flop than calling. Because the turn can always bring a scarecard/overcard that makes him unwilling to continue. I mean, if I directly push this flop he can very well level himself into thinking that I can have something like Ax and that I think that his donkbet is weak or something like that. Thus he can sometimes even call with weaker overpairs that would often just shut down on further streets.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Just call the flop and keep his weaker range in the pot + allow him to bluff vs you. :)

Best Regards.