[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #50 02.09.12

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from September 2nd, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Sunday, September 9th at 1 PM GMT.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.04(BB) Replayer
      SB ($2.16)
      BB ($5.51)
      Hero ($4.58)
      BTN ($1.08)

Dealt to Hero J:club: K:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.12, fold, SB calls $0.10, BB calls $0.08

FLOP ($0.36) Q:heart: J:diamond: 8:club:

SB checks, BB bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16, SB folds

TURN ($0.68) Q:heart: J:diamond: 8:club: 2:spade:

BB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($0.68) Q:heart: J:diamond: 8:club: 2:spade: 9:spade:

BB checks, Hero bets $0.28

Am I getting value from any weaker hands otr with such a bet? Or should I just take the free showdown?
  • 9 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      I would bet the turn and check-back river. 9 fills so many of his draws, and worse hands will never call there.

So bet sth like 1/2 on turn and check-back river. Fold to any resistance!
    • DrRaab
      DrRaab
      Bronze
      Definitely bet the turn, i'd probably bet 3/4 pot.
      All hands which call both flop and turn i would say are 99% certain to beat you
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      As played I don't think there are many, if any, worse hands calling. All PP are folding. 89, 9T, KT got there. Of other J's he'd most likely only have those that beat you and at worst another KJ.

If going to check turn and bet river, I think a small blocking bet/fold, maybe 15c, that PP may be tempted to call would be best. He probably doesn't have a completed draw or 2p given his river check.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      bet pot to make all twopairs fold!!!!11
      as played no worse hand will call this bet, may get some better hands to fold though :f_biggrin:

if we were preflop caller i'd prefer betting some halfpot on the turn for protection against overcards+sd (AK, KT, something) and free showdown obv.
      however since we are pfa we shouldn't need too much protection against their ranges so i prefer to just check it down, we aren't getting called by a lot worse at any point
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Diamond
      Preflop: I like.

Flop: I don't think anybody would donk 1/2 pot with two pairs, sets on such a board (probably made straight only). Therefore I'm raising it here to charge draws Tx, 9x and worse pair + draws. I would be raising to ~$0,54.

Turn: Hero missed a value bet here. Also he could buy a free showdown with it.

River: Imho hero turned his hand into a bluff. Only better hands will call. I'd check it for showdown.
    • Lucker9200
      Lucker9200
      Bronze
      Preflop: all seems ok
      Flop: fold would be weak because he might be donking w hands like 99-TT, J7,J9,JT,KT,AT,98,T8 and by raising hero probably won't get value from any of these except maybe KT,w raise hero has some FE vs AJ,not much vs his Q's because most of them are pair+smth,therefore call is probably best
      Turn: the card doesnt improve neither our nor opp's eq and doesnt incr our FE but the opp still has his whole flop donknig range which consists of pair+gs hands and worse which might call another bet and x most rivers giving us free sd so I definetly would prefer a bet compared to checking cause any A,Q,T,9,8 would dramatically improve most of opp range and give us hard time + we will miss value on the turn and even if the river isnt any of the ( A,Q,T,9,8) a bet there probably wont gain us any value (questionable vs JT) but even thats optimistic
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      calling once on flop I think is ok, because bet is small and BB might want with his medium hand to see where he is at.

Turn could be bet, but checking is ok I think as well, because its multiway pot, so we don't want to invest much with medium hand when he showed strength on flop. The donwside is - if we check the turn, he might bet the river, and its harder to call for us.

On river the board is very drawy, its posible that he calls with weaker hand if he is calling station, but also posible that he can fold his 8x. Probably its better to check, and instead of betting the river - probably better to bet turn and get value from draws.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Preflop: Why is hero on this table?

Raise is ok but I would make it 2.5x because of stack size considerations.

Flop: Small bet could easily be a draw, can we raise? Nope, sb still to act.
      SB will usually check to raiser OOP, then what...chk/r? Again we don't know.

Can't flat call for similar reasons, we don't know what sb will do.

Best case scenario: BB bets, we call, SB folds. And? Horrid board, 2nd pair and lost the initiative. Pfff.

BB bets, we call, SB calls...need I say more?

All this brain work for a couple of bbs. Forget all that fancy stuff, just fold and move tables.

Easy game. :f_biggrin:

P.S. as played no bet on river for me, a better hand would'nt have checked twice so why would a worse one call, ours isn't great anyway, so bet turn and take the free showdown. If villain bets river just bin it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello everyone,

Flop: As long we are getting decent odds shouldn't be a problem to Call it here whilst those guys could also have worse pairs and even draws.
      Turn: Though we have to Bet the turn whilst we could have the best hand and we still need to protect and get value from those hands.

As played
      River: Not the best spot to Bet cause we are turning simply our hand into bluff, not many worse will call you and instead Hero made a mistake by betting here.

Best Regards.