PaulieV

• PaulieV
      PaulieV
      Bronze
      Hello, my name is Paul, I'm an old guy with quite alot of time on his hands and I like playing poker, the problem is that I am a losing player, so here I am to do the beginners couse and try to improve from the basics up!
      I'm currently playing NL10 shorthanded and play about 60 a 70K hands per month, due to rakeback, pokerstrategy rake race and some winnings in freerolls I just manage to play breakeven, but I would very much like to improve!
  • 10 replies
    • PaulieV
      PaulieV
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I like playing poker, and it's my biggest hobby, but I don't want to invest money in it anymore, so I would like to become a winning or at least a breakeven player.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I have a hard time concentrating on poker alone i.e. I always have the TV on while playing, I know, this should be easy to fix!

I go to showdown too many times, even when I'm sure I'm beat!

I play too much and don't take any time to review my play!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Select the hands you play, also concidering the position you are in at the table and then make your opponents make tough decisions by being aggressive, i.e. betting or "attacking" and not just calling.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Distractions may very often cause you tilt! Are you aware of that? I would strongly recommend getting into habit of not getting distracted. Always try to force close the news or whatever you reading/watching/listening. You are there to get better and maybe even win some money. It's like work for you so take it very seriously. The more effort you put into it the more it will bring you back.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

It's very important to review your game, especially if you playing so far just break-even. How else you going to improve your game and fix your leaks? Just test it out and try to force down being lazy, it's easy to grind on the tables but it's not that easy for you I assume to take a look at the session where you played the hands. At least start first to take the biggest losing/winning hands and from there go step by step. :) At least started with the course which may motivate you to do those things.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • PaulieV
      PaulieV
      Bronze
      Hello, Thanks for the quick reply!

The homework from lesson 2 in this post, I still have to read some of the articles, read them all some time ago, but will look over them again!

I think I managed to post a hand in the hand evaluations forum, if you could have a look at that please.

NL25 SH - 99 overpair on the flop

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I mainly play SH so I play a little different, never limping, so also with pocket pairs raising them under the gun, or sometimes folding, and 3 betting against people that open alot with hands like AJ,...

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I just went over a session I played earlier today, and don't have any questions about pre flop play at the moment that I don't know the answer to myself, after considering the options and who the opponents were.
      Have to say it does help taking time going over the hands, instead of spending all the time just playing without thinking it true, lost one stack today with QQ against AKo, but I guess it's pretty standard to stack off pre flop with QQ SH.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity   Winst   Split
      MP2    53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      MP3    46.32%  37.91%   8.41% { AKo }

I just put it in Equilab, the equity is 46,32%

Regards,
      Paul
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Especially on your limits you can't even limp, cause it's hardly exploitable. If you want to play a hand then only change first in is to open-raise it. :) Though dependent on the PPs you might even want to fold very low PPs as 22-55 from UTG and maybe even 66 cause they are difficult to play postflop. For example not knowing where to CB or CBetting just flop & giving up easily or just giving up on the flop right away too easily. Though mainly the mistakes are from CBetting in wrong spots and wasting the money.

How else you getting better if you don't even overview your hands. :) Especially if you see yourself rather a break-even player then you definitely have to consider doing session analyzes and etc and of course not forget posting hands. At first it may be difficult but when you get used to it and see actually how much you learn you will change your mind. ;)

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • PaulieV
      PaulieV
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33?

Equity   Winst   Split
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity   Winst   Split
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Preflop Your equity is 50,78%, on the flop it drops to 26,46% against the set.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

I would call the reraise.
      Pot odds here are 0,22/0,91 = 1/4,1 so you can call for the flushdraw since your odds are about 1/4 to make the flush.
      And you are drawing towards the nut flush.

Even if you take in account that your opponent already has a set and could be drawing towards a full house, then your equity is still about 20% (1/5) so you can still call this raise taking into account the implied pot odds.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Draw completes on the river?

Bluff on the river
    • PaulieV
      PaulieV
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

Top pair against river shove

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

KTo nut straight slowplay

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity   Winst   Split
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Your equity is 41,41%

Regards,
      Paul
    • PaulieV
      PaulieV
      Bronze
      I really don't understand it anymore, a while back I looked at some video's about stats, according to that I wasn't stealing enough and I wasn't taking enough adventage of position, not making money from CO or BTN, I tried to adjust that, but why has my red line gone all the way down then, it should go up right??
      Any tips, or ideas about what I'm probably doing wrong?
      I decided to play less tables for now, 4 instead of 6, lets see if that helps, together with the reviewing of my sessions!

Regards,
      Paul
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I really don't understand it anymore, a while back I looked at some video's about stats, according to that I wasn't stealing enough and I wasn't taking enough adventage of position, not making money from CO or BTN, I tried to adjust that, but why has my red line gone all the way down then, it should go up right??
      Any tips, or ideas about what I'm probably doing wrong?

It's not always about stealing looser or playing more hands to achieve bigger winrate. You also have to understand the game and why you are doing specific move. For example if you loosen up your hands then it also means that you are going to play a lot more situations which may easily just make you lose money. Therefore instead do rather tighter approach and when you are ready then start loosening up, you should understand yourself that and check also your tracker either you are winning or not.

I decided to play less tables for now, 4 instead of 6, lets see if that helps, together with the reviewing of my sessions!

That's good idea and try to concentrate and try to learn from the tables. Playing too many tables usually leads you to play pretty straight forward and which is rather bad for poker. Also don't forget to analyze your sessions which is the most important aspect in poker. :)