[NL2-NL10] NL10: AJ 3Bet

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1881897
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $10.00 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 23, 3B: 7, AF: 5,0, Hands: 39
      UTG: $7.75 - VPIP: 52, PFR: 10, 3B: 3, AF: 0,4, Hands: 69
      MP: $16.75 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 13, 3B: 9, AF: 1,5, FoldTo3Bet: 0(2), Hands: 226
      Hero (CO): $25.33 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,6, Hands: 61227
      BTN: $10.00 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 23, 3B: 22, AF: 2,5, Hands: 93
      SB: $11.67 - VPIP: 24, PFR: 21, 3B: 10, AF: 5,5, Hands: 95

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with A :diamond: J :heart:
      1 fold, MP raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1.20, 3 folds, MP calls $0.90

Flop: ($2.55) 7 :spade: A :spade: 5 :spade: (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.30, MP calls $1.30

Turn: ($5.15) 3 :diamond: (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($5.15) J :spade: (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

I don't like the 3Bet here that much. I can't exactly do it for value as AJ is still a bit too weak for that but neither does he fold much, so should probably just have been a fold.

As played: sort of fine, I suppose. Can still get called by PPs + FDs or something like that.
  • 9 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      You can 3 bet that kind of an opponent, because he's usually calling you with even worse hands.

Flop cbet was ok, and checking turn is fine, too, because rarely a weaker hand calls you 2 str on that board.

River check good, too, because it could will his Ksx draw.
      Bronze
      What do you think is his potential calling range
      Taking in consideration the fact that we are 3Betting COvsMP + we don't really know much about him apart from the fact that he has so far not folded to two 3Bets, of course.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      What do you think is his potential calling range
      Taking in consideration the fact that we are 3Betting COvsMP + we don't really know much about him apart from the fact that he has so far not folded to two 3Bets, of course.
      I'd think he could have any 2 broadway cards there, any PP, AT, A7s+ perhaps... So many combinations anyway. Maybe even some weaker suited connectors (like 98)

But hard to say, if only 200 hands and two 3bet situations, but something like that, most likely.
      Bronze
      I'd think he could have any 2 broadway cards there, any PP, AT, A7s+ perhaps... So many combinations anyway. Maybe even some weaker suited connectors (like 98)

As much as it is not impossible for someone to have such a calling range in this spot, it is hardly a standard calling range for a guy with such VPIP/PFR stats, I think. My best guess would be that without any information his potential bottom calling range there is TT–QQ, AQ+, AJs. Sometimes a bit tighter and sometimes a bit wider, but overall I really think that the range you assigned is slightly too wide for a COvsMP TAGvsTAG spot like this one. Unless we have seen those hands we shouldn't assume that villain calls with A8s or AT, let alone 98s.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Well.. If we think, that he opens 19 ¤ of hands, and NEVER folds to 3bet, equilab gives this range:

66+,A4s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,A9o+,KTo+,QTo+

It's not fully like this, so I think he could call with broadway cards, maybe even 98/T9s.

But hard to say, you guys should have more 3-bet situation to evaluate this better. It could be that he just happened to had QQ+ every time he was 3-bet there.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Preflop: 3betting ain't really a good case here whilst you can't really do it for value. Mainly the guy calls with better Ax hands.

As played
      Postflop: Not much to comment, doubt that we are getting called from a lot worse on the turn.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Well.. If we think, that he opens 19 ¤ of hands, and NEVER folds to 3bet, equilab gives this range: 66+,A4s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,A9o+,KTo+,QTo+ It's not fully like this, so I think he could call with broadway cards, maybe even 98/T9s.

That's not really how range assigning works.

1) ~200 hands can't be a sample size for FoldTo3Bet stat. It is far far too small to take all that much seriously. All that we can assume from the fact that he his foldto3Bet stat shows 0(2) in a 200 hand sample size is that there is a a likely possibility that he is not folding to 3Bets as much as he should (and even that we can't tell for sure).
      2) Where did you get 19%?
      3) You can't simply put 19% of best hands in Equilab to determine villain's range. We have to assume, for example, that there are some hands that villain gives preference to, e.g. maybe he does not open KTo, QTo+, T9s, J9s, Q9s, K9s, A2s–A8s. Maybe instead of these hands he opens all small PPs aso. (I would assume that generally at least somewhat competent players would indeed not open the hands that I just mentioned and would open with all the low PPs instead)

Maybe you are playing on a much fishier site than Stars and maybe there on average the players are indeed calling lighter, but here on Stars it's a living hell and you can't really 3Bet AJ for value in such a spot that much.
      Bronze
      Preflop: 3betting ain't really a good case here whilst you can't really do it for value. Mainly the guy calls with better Ax hands.

How do our deep stack sizes affect us in this spot? I.e., how does this one particular factor influence our decision making when deciding with what range to 3Bet in this spot?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      How do our deep stack sizes affect us in this spot? I.e., how does this one particular factor influence our decision making when deciding with what range to 3Bet in this spot?

Difficult to explain with just few words and nor I ain't able to write you an article about it. :D It may affect differently by based on the opponents and rather that those guys also call looser vs you, though you may have more fold equity postflop.