Floated - how to react?

• pblankfield
      pblankfield
      Bronze
      Hi

I'm quite new to the internet poker world. So far I've been rather succesfull in Stars 0,50$ MTTSNGs (45% ROI after 400 games) playing mostly my cards in a stardard TAG fashion and standard PoF. Works like a charm :f_biggrin:

I recently moved up to play 1$50 45s MTTSNGs on Pokerstars and generally things are shaping allright except that I found that my c-bets efficency is waaay lower and I start to think that I'm getting floated VERY often.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the gold status strategy article, so I turn to you for help. I'm at work now so cannot give you a HH example but it boils down to something like that:

On lowish blind levels (20-30-50) I raise preflop with a decent hand, say AJo and get one caller. The flop comes as xxK. Obviously i cbet here, standard 50% pot ang get called. Turn brings another blank. Most of the times I tend to c/f here. I have found that this happen WAY to often and I can risk to say that at least 75% of the times I must be ahead.

What are my options and what is, in your opinion the best general approach to this kind of situations?

- r/f systematically (2nd barrel, around 80% of the pot) with the intention of c/f the river?
      - c/r and fold to any agression on the river?
      - or is it better to play the hand diffrently on the flop with a c/r instead of c-bet and place a delayed c-bet on turn in case of c/c?

Thx
  • 4 replies
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      That is why you don't play AJo except in co or Btn at early levels or unless you have really good post flip skills
      If you have position over him you can always bet 1/2 pot on turn and most probably you can check back on the river

At the early levels I do not mind keeping my cbet frequency less. You can play hit or miss atleast upto 15/30 ad in some cases upto 50/100 after 75/150 it is mainly going to be push or fold and now the player is more important than cards

And btw that is a killer Roi WP
    • pblankfield
      pblankfield
      Bronze
      Definately it boils down to me not having position and you're perfecly right about me lacking good postflop skills. But I want to build those :s_cool:

But let's now imagine, for the sakeof the discussion that I hold a real strong hand, say AQs - I don't want to muck it,even at lowish level. Same scenario as above (missed flop with overcard, blank turn). Versus floaters what is the general best approach? 2nd barrel and abandon to agression or a c/r bluff?
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Ok
      Suppose you do come in this situation then 2 most important things id consider here is the type of player, amount of chips already invested vs stack left behind

IF at very early levels id probably just let it go

Against a nit & Fish id let it go as well

Against a maniac check call the turn if the bet isnt toooo big
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      You should make your bets smaller. Your cbets should be 1/2 - 2/3 pot size.
      if the flop is dryish bet 1/2, if it's wet then 2/3. This way you will keep the pot smaller. Same on turn, if you keep the pot small you can 2nd barrel good turn cards like scare cards or if u hit a SD or FD.