so pissed im totally unmotivated now

• tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      had such a bad day at everest today lost 7.70 at NL2 lost all the money i have earned the last week suddenly i feel like quitting poker :(

man this guy open raises with J3s, i had AA on the button i 3 betted and he calls. man who calls 3 bets with J3s. and the flop came J 8 3. oh my god. turn and river came 7 5, man maybe i should have folded his shove but i'm still pissed.

lost another AA. i flopped a set but villain flopped a straight with 35s. lost another buy in here ;(

had many other monsters here and there but i lost most of them :( and once i had AA on bb but everyone folded before me. first time this happens on that table today and i have AA :(

I'm quite new to poker (played barely a month) I'm still playing with the free $50. I'm still young and I really hope i can make online poker my second job in the future. I know in poker there are massive downswings like this but how do you guys handle them without affecting your poker career. I know it's all about patience and discipline to recover such losses but it's so hard for me to get the bad streak of my mind. Should I play less and study more? Initially I wanted to build my bankroll fast but with such downswings happening maybe i should slow down?

Also if my bankroll has less than 50BIs for NL2 should I still buy in for $2? or a smaller amount like 5% of my bankroll and play SSS or MSS until I have 50 BIs?
  • 14 replies
    • Rufus433
      Rufus433
      Platinum
      Read articles and watch videos @ pokerstrategy, you need to study the game more than you play it, swings are part of poker, you need to learn how to deal with them. Bigger the stakes you play, bigger the swings.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      The first time I hit a downswing I was so tilted, and didn't realize how much money I was losing through spewy tilt play as well.

Once you realize that this sort of thing is normal and that it happens the other way too it gets a lot easier to just play through it and remember that it's only poker, it's just a card game. Even if they win, just laugh to yourself when someone calls 3bets with J3s, as these jokers are the very core of why it is possible to make money in poker. Probability dictates that these guys have to win sometimes, and this is what keeps them depositing, its a good thing. Don't think of it as a bad beat, think of it as securing your future in poker. :f_biggrin:
    • andiofwbafc
      andiofwbafc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      The first time I hit a downswing I was so tilted, and didn't realize how much money I was losing through spewy tilt play as well.

Once you realize that this sort of thing is normal and that it happens the other way too it gets a lot easier to just play through it and remember that it's only poker, it's just a card game. Even if they win, just laugh to yourself when someone calls 3bets with J3s, as these jokers are the very core of why it is possible to make money in poker. Probability dictates that these guys have to win sometimes, and this is what keeps them depositing, its a good thing. Don't think of it as a bad beat, think of it as securing your future in poker. :f_biggrin:
      Very sound advice, this is exactly what I tell myself when I get called by a Donk who then goes on to win.
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Don't worry man, it's really standard. 7,7$ is not even 4 buy-ins. You will experience these swings on a regular basis in your poker career. The more it has happened, the better you will be able to deal with them. If you don't feel like playing anyumore, then just don't. Nobody is forcing you!

I don't think you really need 50BI, obviously also depends if you're willing to deposit again if you go broke.
    • sugalde
      sugalde
      Bronze
      25 to 30 buy ins should be fine if you're playing TAG,

"Standard", Agreed

These things occur in poker you have to focus on the long term and not the short term, short term focus on the right choices, Your aces sorry to say it happens. Remember if you made the right decision you just have to move on.

Coolers suck but it happens take a day off and then play again when you want to play remember the number one rule. Poker is a game have fun, think like Isildur1 a bit more!! Play for fun, play to crush!! You can't win them all!

Goodluck at the tables!
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      I feel for you, buddy. I know where you are coming from. And as an Everest player myself I am more than aware of the above scenario you have just explained. Everest is, without doubt, a veritable fish tank. After all, Jack three suited is a much stronger hand than pocket Aces! :D I am not kidding, that is what the fish at Everest thinks.

I go through similar emotions as you do. If I lose to donkeys all-day long, I too can get really annoyed and very upset. It is one of my main issues that needs addressing. A good idea is to have a stop-loss plan put in place, and should you lose so many buy-ins during a session, to call it quits for a day or so, until your head clears.

If I have a bad day, I go and play freerolls until that tilt feeling has gone away. By playing freerolls, you can only tilt play chips away! :f_cry:

You say you have only been playing for one month? That is such a short period of time. So don't be hard on yourself. As people here have recommended, study, study, and then play some.

I think buying in for 50BBs is a good idea if you have the tendency to stack-off with top pair and top kicker on the flop. In fact, I often buy in for the same amount because I have the tendency to stack-off with Ace King if I hit top pair on the flop. You could buy-in for 50BBs until you gain more confidence, and experience, at reading the board, and player tells.
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Ye it sucks in the beggining, my suggestion is to post the AA hand for review.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      If you become unmotivated and ready to simply "give up" because you lost 4 buyins then you need to realize this game isn't going to change.

Being upset is great, but get pissed off at the way you've just reacted. Your reaction is the only part of this situation that YOU can actually change.

Statements like "I lost therefore I might quit" will see you right out the door in a game like poker. Losing isn't failure.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      yeah, mindset should be "i'm pissed because i'm approaching the game incorrectly."

If you really don't want to put effort into learning the game, just quit, right now.

If you are serious, then you first need to learn the fundamentals. There are plenty of resources out there for it, in ebook format, or the strategy section here, or videos etc.

I posted verneer's ebook (moving up through uNL 2010) in the beginner section almost a year ago. Its a great read and has everything you need to know to get up to 25NL at least.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      I'm not saying "quit because you don't want to learn". After a month of playing its much to early to know for sure. Rather, find out if you want to learn or if you enjoy learning the game and feel free to take your time.

OP has some stones for actually posting openly about getting pissed off about losing, and to me he's asking "what should I change".

If we react poorly to losing, and losing is inevitable in gambling games then the only thing we can change about losing is ourselves.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      thanks guys for all your posts. :)

Yea I'm sure I won't quit, especially since it has only been one month. I just had that kind of feeling earlier because I felt it was a very bad run in such a short time. I'm not the type who quits easily. I do take breaks when I feel very bad but usually I come back because I miss the good times. I posted here partly to find out how you guys deal with such unpredictable downswings, because this is the first time I've tried something so unpredictable at times. I really admire you guys who have gone through so much to get to where you are now.

I think I have to rework my strategy for NL2. Tighten up abit more maybe I was playing too loosely thinking I have the fishes beat most of the time
    • sugalde
      sugalde
      Bronze
      As Ivey Says "Let the game (Fish) come to you"
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      People before me have send it all, im just gunna leave you with some advice i once heard thats always stayed with me. If you stick with poker for the long term and in the distant future are playing NL50, or higher, $7.70 will seem like nothing to you and you ll look back and laugh that yu got annoyed.

Alex :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Will move up to Learning to Win :)