Reiver

• Reiver
      Reiver
      Bronze
      Hi, I've decided to do this course. I'm not used to introductions so maybe it'll be fine if I just start here with my homework and from it you'll get some info about me :f_p:

So... Homework Nr.1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I like this game a lot. Since I had computer I played many games, but this is a competetive game which also allows you to win some real money :f_cool: Also as I like to travel, it's nice that you would be able to have income anywhere where is internet connection available :) As I like it so much and I want to play it, I want to get better, want to show others that I'm capable of achieving what I want.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

1. Bankroll managment - huge problem... Don't have enough money to play in other limits than micros, feel like beating them (over a small sample, which isn't very imformative) and then go to higher limits with few buyins and end up with nothing....
      2. Don't study enough. I know it's a must and I do alot better when I study, but I usually get tired of it, start just playing and end up with nothing...
      3. Its hard for me to analise my opponents and I end up making really bad calls (especially the ones where I know I'm beat) or making stupid bluffs without any fold equity.
      (edit) 4. Remembered one more of major ones. When I play I do some other stuff like reading through other pages, forums, watching TV series and so on and on... I think that is really bad because I don't concentrate.

This could go on an on I think, cause I have many leaks, but thats why I'm here. I want to make an end to it and I hope with your help it's possible :)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Tigh aggressive is a play where you play strong starting hands, play them in position and apply pressure on your opponents when you are in a pot. This helps to maximize your winnings and minimize your loses.
  • 7 replies
    • Reiver
      Reiver
      Bronze
      Hmmm got no answer, but still want to go further so maybe you won't get mad if I post my 2nd homework and after that go to read stuff in 3rd lesson :f_grin:

Homework Nr.2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I currently try to stick to BSS Starting Hands Chart, cause I want to improve my game and get used to do stuff that I have learnt and that I should, instead of my doing whatever is good enough. I think as chart doesnt take into account player stacks their VPIP and so on, you can adjust the play a bit in a begining by stealing from tight players with more hands or tighting your range a bit against very loose players. But for now I'll try to stick to it until next lessons.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Had more questions about postflop play, posted some hands. I think not that much about preflop (cause as I said I try to stick to the chart) maybe this one is good ->>> NL10 FR 22 pre

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

I used equilab for this and got

Equity----Win------Tie
      46.33% 37.92% 8.41% AKo
      53.67% 45.26% 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo
    • Reiver
      Reiver
      Bronze
      Finished with articles and videos in 3rd lesson and took a look at homework. Theres really not much to do, cause I need to answer one equilab question, the hand was analised in coaching and I'm posting hands about my post flop play.
      So I'll do this one too...

Homework Nr.3

Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3?

Preflop it's a flip, but on flop even if we have overcards and flush draw our equity drops, cause set is blocking overcards and possible fh beats our possible flush

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

The pot is $0,91 and we have to call $0,22, so the pot odds are 4,14:1 and as we try to get flush (4:1) we should call.
      If we take from our outs the :club: that would give opponent a fh or quads (if he is holding set) like 6 :club: and 3 :club: get odds 6:1 but, I think with implied odds we could still call, cause villain needs to bet like $0,4 to make this move breakeven

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL10 FR AA
      NL10 FR AKs facing overbet on flop

Also I dont know who will read these homeworks but if veriz does that, maybe you could give me link to your equity excel spreadsheet? If it's not him I'll try to PM him :f_grin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

BRM is very important aspect of poker, which is kind of must to follow. If you ain't following it it will lead you just gambling money away. During tilt phase it could also be the case that you are more moody and which means that you are going to lose more money away. If you don't have a proper BRM then it will lead you to the losses. Therefore try to follow strictly to BRM and set up the buy-in rule for yourself what is a must need. Standard would be ~25BIs at least which for some is even aggressive BRM.

Distractions may very often cause you tilt! Are you aware of that? I would strongly recommend getting into habit of not getting distracted. Always try to force close the news or whatever you reading/watching/listening. You are there to get better and maybe even win some money. It's like work for you so take it very seriously. The more effort you put into it the more it will bring you back.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Studying is very important role in poker and especially if you just started with it. For a beginner it's even more important than more advanced player cause beginner makes a lot more mistakes than a beginner. Therefore try to concentrate maybe even more on studying and don't forget it! It's very important to analyze sessions and try to find your major leaks what make you cost money during even upswings, cause during downswing you obviously will lose and even lose extra money with tilting.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

The chart doesn't take a lot of things into account actually. It's rather a chart which tells you the easiest play and teaches you the basics so you would be ready to go over to more advanced stuff when you feel being ready for it. For example stealing looser, isolating more hands and so on.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

Please email me that you want it and I will send it via email (about the excel sheet). Can find my email in my Private coaching thread.

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • Reiver
      Reiver
      Bronze
      Had a great run... And then after few bad plays started to tilt... Main problem I knew I was on tilt, but still played for a while. Lucky me that my GF called and I went to meet her ;D
      I promised myself that next time I'll stop playing after I see myself making really stupid tilted plays (I know theres tilt that makes you to make mistakes you cant see, but first I have to learn to deal with that obvious one).
      Also, the task of evaluating the hand of the other player was really hard for me. I don't know maybe its because I dont really trust myself when facing unknown situations, but I also saw that it's hard for me to put an opponnent on a range ;/ need to learn that ASAP

Homework Nr.4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

NL 10 AA FR

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

NL2 Hero AKs

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q :diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

Not that good as I thought with gutshot and two overpairs...

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% KsQd
      MP3 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% 7h7c
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

Don't worry about if you even evaluate it wrong, there is nothing to lose for you. You have to somehow learn the game and that is one of the easiest way to do that, post your hands, discuss hands with others etc. :)

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.