advise

• shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      hey fellas
      how is it going?

I just cant seem to find something that works for me.

tried out everything, SSS BSS SNG's FR 6max,making proper adjustments each games i.e looser on 6max tighter on full ring etc...

last game i played was 6 max nl50 SSS no rebuy on FTP ( i have the bankroll for it ).

lost about 15 stacks, dont even know how, every time i shoved i was ahead
      for instance AK vs AQ , TT vs A5 etc and i am being sucked really hard, losing coin flips one after the other,rivered time after time.

looking at the charts i see that my decisions are right more than 80% of the time
      but it seems that those bad streaks rippin me off...

in example today i played went up 7 stacks (not an upswing, was domnitate ) in about 3 hours , than in 30 minutes lost it all!

im thinking that maybe thats it for me.

any advise ??
  • 5 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      You've tried everything and nothing works for you, yet you have a BR for NL50? and how do you play SSS on a SH table?

You think thats it for you playing poker, and no strategy works, therefore you cant earn money. So yes quit is my advice TBH.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      you havent tried LHE yet.. or PLO :)
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Disclaimer: All of my comments regard SSS, since that's what I am currently playing. I have over 100,000 hands of experience with it, since I joined PokerStrategy.com

Originally posted by shloogy
      last game i played was 6 max nl50 SSS no rebuy on FTP
      As mentioned above.. SSS is not meant for 6max.. if you're playing on a 6max table, you're not really utilizing the SSS, you're just buying in with less money than everyone else.

Every time I sit down at a table, at some point during the sessions other people sit down at the table and buy in with minimum buy in, and as I watch them play, it becomes clear they are not using SSS at all. They're just buying in short. They probably heard that short stackers have an advantage, and they think that buying in short is all there is to it, or something.

looking at the charts i see that my decisions are right more than 80% of the time but it seems that those bad streaks rippin me off...
      Remeber that if you're playing SSS properly, you're only playing a very select few starting hands. Maybe in the area of 6 to 8 percent of them see the flop. When you see the flop this little, you can't afford to make the wrong decision 20% of the time.

You shouldn't really have any decisions to make. The SSS articles on the site are pretty clear regarding what can be played, and what can't, as well as when to push or fold.

You need to make the right decision every time, once you have one of those few hands you can play. Follow the strategy. Don't second guess it. Don't make up your own rules as you go along. Part of the strategy is building the discipline to lay down those marginal hands, and even to fold the good ones when it's apparent they're beat.

Even when you do make the right decisions, sometimes you're going to get sucked out on. It happens, but.. that's why you can't afford to make mistakes when you finally get a playable hand.

I've been playing SSS exclusively for several months, and I am living proof it works. I started with the $50 given by the site, and I've never looked back. I've never had to deposit. I actually (just this past weekend) did make my first deposit (on Stars) not because I needed it, but just to get the free $100 bonus, which I'm about to clear. Hey, free money is good. :D

in example today i played went up 7 stacks (not an upswing, was domnitate ) in about 3 hours , than in 30 minutes lost it all!
      When I first sat down to play today, I was up 8 buyins, then went through some bad hits. On one table I got 3 hands in a row, AK, AK, AA.. both the AK's were beat, the AA held up, doubled me up...

I went all the way back down to where I started today (losing those 8 buyins).
      Was I worried? No.. because I knew my decisions were correct, and those nippleheads pushing all in with J2o can't win against me, in the long run.

at this moment I'm up 12 buyins for today, and it's time for my nap. =)

im thinking that maybe thats it for me.

any advise ??
      My advise would be don't give up. Poker is not a get rich quick scheme. For most people, it's not even a get-by scheme.

Make sure you're making the right decisions. Re-read the articles regarding SSS (or the others, whichever you happen to like). I can only really comment on the SSS since I'm most experienced online with that, and it's been working great for me over the past several months. (I've not yet had a losing month, with every month being better than the last)

If you're making the right decisions, and you get your money in the middle with the best of it, then, don't worry about the suck-outs. They HAVE to happen. You WANT them to happen. When that donk sucks out on your AA with his 72o and the flop comes 3 deuces.. you WANT that.

When it happens, just sit back and smile, and wait for the next hand, because you know that if you have this nipplehead sitting here calling your preflop raises and your postflop pushes with his crap hands only to catch a miracle suckout on the river, you'll get him next time. Trust me, you WANT those idiots to keep betting with you, all the way to the river. You'll beat them more than they beat you so long as you're making the right decisions.

In my experience, most people who have problems with SSS are not implementing it correctly. I can't speak for you, since I've not watched you play, but.. just from the sounds of it, if you're playing on 6max tables and trying to use SSS, or if you're only making the correct decision 80% of the time, when you only get a playable hand maybe 8% of the time.. that right there is enough to keep you from profiting using SSS.

It's really important that you don't make mistakes when you finally DO get one of the coveted prime hands. As I've mentioned before (in other posts) don't be afraid to fold KK if there's an ace on the flop and your opponent just raised you.

I've found that the money I save by folding at the right time is at least as important as the money I win.

You didn't mention if you were multi-tabling, but.. with SSS that can actually help since you fold the vast majority (over 90%) of your hands. Playing on multiple tables can help make sure you get "interesting, playable" hands more often and keep you from being tempted to play marginal hands.

I was one of SSS's biggest skeptics when I started. It's not the way to get the MOST value.. but it's not meant to be. It's a way to make a nice, steady, safe profit, while at the same time learning a few things about the game. (patience, discipline, among them)

The bad thing about SSS is when you lose, you lose your entire buyin. That's also the good thing about it, since your buyin is such a small portion of your total bankroll. When you win, however, it's pretty easy to double or triple up. I've even quadrupled up a few times, on a single hand.

Pick tables that are full of full stacks, and you should find that very often they'll have no problem calling your all-in pushes because they don't see you tiny little stack as a threat.

Anyway, that got a little wordier than I wanted, but as I said, it's naptime. If you love the game, just keep working at it. Get your money in the center with the best hand, and in the long run, you'll be fine.

Good skill to you.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      And if all this^^ fails again.......

QUIT
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      well, don't quit.. just sit at my tables. ;)