Micro stakes vs. low stakes

• zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      I've read a few posts saying that the games do not get easier as you move up. I disagree. For a skilled poker player the low stakes games are much easier than the micro stakes games in the following respect: less frustration.

In micro stakes people are more willing to gamble on bad draws or call down with bad hands which makes it a lot harder to out play them. This can have a very big impact on variance.

Low stakes games are different in the sense that players will play strong hands better but will let go of weak hands easily, which I find is much easier to exploit than the game of a bad micro stakes player.

In my experience the only profitable style in a microstakes game is ABC which is very frustrating for someone who has the skill to play better.
  • 13 replies
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      micro nl is fairly easy to beat, bluff less, value bet more, dont ever slowplay, profit. :)

also, im pretty sure you can be a huge winner with the abc tag style upto nl200 (at least)
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Both are just as bad as eachother. On low stakes people cant lay down hands either. They also call with bad draws, and play totally against the odds. Theres only a select few on these limits that play good poker. If you play on titan I can give you a long list of the players to avoid, on the low limits. There not great players, just good regulars. I've not met a player on the low limits that doesn't make regular errors.
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      I guess it's only me then.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Low stakes ain't more profitable than microstakes in big blinds, though the difference is negligable.
      What I can say though is that low stakes and low-mid stakes (NL25->NL100) get progressively more fun to play as more and more aspects of the game open up due to increased readibilty, still enough idiots at the tables but you just need to learn timing and adaptation a little more, more profitable options to diverge from a boring abc-style etcetera.

If you're a player who isn't really the abc play by the book kind of player, but someone who likes to play his own game, I would agree low and lower midstakes are easier.

My stats seem to say so :
      NL10 : 3 bb/100
      NL25 : 4 bb/100
      NL50 : 8 bb/100
      NL100 : 14bb/100 (upswingament period though)
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      You cant say there easier because you have a bigger winrate, Because you have been learning and getting better as you climb the limits.
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      Yes sonic, that's what I meant. As you move up there are more opportunities to outplay your opponents since they are thinking more.

The lower the stakes the harder it is to do this.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      You cant say there easier because you have a bigger winrate, Because you have been learning and getting better as you climb the limits.
      Of course I got better, but in general it's also more fun to play as you get more opportunities to outplay your opponents while at the microstakes you're pretty much stuck. You hàve to play ABC there...
      I have to add though that I played NL10 and 25 mostly at full ring tables and switched to short handed on the way.
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      If you play on titan I can give you a long list of the players to avoid, on the low limits.
      Do you actually have a list or was that a figure or speech :P I play titan regularly haha
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      What can be easier then waiting for a hand and valuebetting it?
      Playing a thinking opponent till nl 200, at least, is a waste of time and money, imo.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by brian997
      If you play on titan I can give you a long list of the players to avoid, on the low limits.
      Do you actually have a list or was that a figure or speech :P I play titan regularly haha
      It was figure of speech but if interested I could give you a few regulars names to watch out for. I have 10-15 players that I have over 15k hands on, so its pretty accurate. I know alot of the regulars to chat with, but I do avoid them. Theres only one guy that wins from me rugulary, and its because he's a donkey, limping AA and such, then traping you.

If interested i'll do a little write up on these guy, if you think it'll help you. BTW whats your titan screen name?
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      that would be awesome. So far I've played about 2-3k hands in the last couple days.
      My screenname is brian997, what is yours?
      Right now I'm playing SSS on the NL10, but I was playing on the NL20 I just found my winrate higher on the lower limit...
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      OK, My screen name is Stewyc555, i'm currently waiting for a cashout on titan, and i'm not playing there anymore. Due to the fact theres easier money to be made on other sites. These low limits are often nit towns on titan, and IMO are harder than most sites. As a SSS player though, knowone will adapt to your game, and it should be pretty easy money.

I'll post back later on with a report on the regulars, and who to watch out for.

I also used to play another name on the IPOKER network but its no longer in use.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I've took a look on titan just now, and these are the regulars that are playing NL20 ATM. I will have another look later today and see if any more are on. I didn't want to write up on them all, if they no longer play these limits. I cant see any of the old regulars on NL10, but its a while since I played that limit. If anyone reading this know's these guys and disagree's please tell me, as i'd like to know your opinion also. Theres a few more I seen on there which I dont think are worth spending time writing about. If you notice a guy playing 8+ tables and would like to know about him, just drop his name in, and i'll comment. I have a huge samplesize on these limits and have reviewed all the regulars games in detail. The write ups on these players arent in great punctuation as i've writen it up pretty fast, in a notes sense. If any of these guys are from pokerstrategy i'm sry, and i'll happily delete you from the list.

KOIKEI- this guy is who you want to be sat next to, he plays upto the 16 table maximum at once, and has stacks of $3 on one $35 on another. He is so clueless overall that its untrue. He bluffs alot, and they tend to be pot sized, he bets 2nd pair like its the nuts, and cant fold. My most profit has come from this guy overall.

Annimi- Plays ABC poker, but badly. doesn't understand how to protect a hand, and will let you draw out cheaply. he plays about 8 tables usually and tends to have a full stack. THIS GUY WONT BLUFF ALL TO OFTEN.

Dojot1- Clearly the best regular there is, I have 25k hands on this guy, from NL5 right upto NL50. He is currently playing NL20 for some reason though. plays about 8-12 tables at a time. Will not put money in the pot when he's behind to often. Really is the player to avoid TBH.

Play3r1337- this guy seems a pretty cool customer. I've not seen him make many mistakes TBH. but yet i'm not sure if he is a winning player. looking over my database he's in the red, but I cant see any common problems in his game, just seems to be variance IMO, only have 4k hands on him.

Freexig- if you bet into this guy with respectable bets i'm sure you can get him to fold a royal flush. He is very passive but like turbovvv, if you let your gaurd down, he will hurt you. Be wary

Turbovvv- this guy has tightened his range up quite a bit lately, and my advice would be- be very wary of him. I have plus of 6k hands on him and think he's capable of anything. He would be a player to avoid IMO

BetTimes- Donk. again plays around 12 tables, puts money in when he's behind alot. Will bluff with air, doesn't respect bets, doesn't know how to protect, overplay PP. But however I think he's a winning player, but anyone with a clue can fleece this guy for every penny.