variance in which games

• deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Thinking of switching games cos am getting the crap beaten out of me. Don't want to turn this into bad beat rant and I'm sure you guys have gone through the seemingly never-ending bad run.

Was playing a lot of turbo SnGs because that's what I enjoy the most. Built up a roll doing that but lately haven't been playing much because poker's just not a lot of fun for me. I expect to get boned and it happens. THEN, I played a reg 180 player tourney and cashed 4th...as Pokerstars like to do, give you a nice win and then drain you like a tick.

Next time I played I went on 3 turbo SnGs in which I was tortured so started thinking about playing cgs as variance is less. Don't like playing cgs nearly as much but thought I would get involved. Lost 2 BIs in a half hour, getting it in a huge favourite against river-hitting gutshot chasers so now an steamed.

I'm now trying to re-evaluate my understanding of variance in the hope of getting some of my faith in poker back. Can people explain why variance is higher in turbo SnGs rather than CGs? Should I stick to reg SnGs and tourneys rather than turbo? How will and could a switch in games affect my run?

Considering playing PLO at higher stakes. At least then I know it's more of a mad gamble and I could probably take suck outs better. Maybe I should play PLHE instead, my run would cost me less.

It's so screwed because I really want to love playing poker again but it's just not happening for me. After playing half an hour I doubt I will want to play again for at least a few days. Will still read about and watch poker though. Love the game and hate the way it treats me. Need to make a change. Suggestions would be appreciated.
  • 2 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      The reason why variance is higher in turbos is because the blinds are bigger, thus forcing you to get chips in in more marginal situations.

Your all in range for 1000bb or 100bb or 10bb are worlds apart, and the bigger this range for all players, the more variance there is because the less this range crushes villains range. For an extreme example if you only have 1bb you have to go all in with every hand, thus variance is insanely big. Cash Games have less variance than sit and gos because the blinds are static rather than increasing.

BSS Cash Games are what I'd advise.
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Thanks Metsa. Pretty much what I thought with regards to variance. Liking the idea of playing BSS though am not sure why it would be a benefit to me. Makes more sense to play that way rather than jump stakes :) .

I struggle with how variance affects the way the cards actually play out. Being in short stack situations in turbo games where it is profitable shoving A4 is one aspect but doesn't explain to me why I'm more likely to run bad in turbos. What you said just explains why it would be understandable that I'd get it in bad more often and cash less. Am I making much sense? Is talk of high variance in turbo games based only on short stack strategy?

Been playing a little PLO today and liked it. I don't really know the game so the idea of studying something new appeals. Did take a hit playing it today but for whatever it means, I got it in way good. Will have to check out strategy section for PLO info.